What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

Fun fact: Lauri is shooting 30% (13/43) from the perimeter in his last five games. 8.6 attempts per game (skewed by the Houston game where he took 15, though). Slumping hard.

Fun fact: Lauri is shooting 30% (13/43) from the perimeter in his last five games. 8.6 attempts per game (skewed by the Houston game where he took 15, though). Slumping hard.

Wrong thread dear fellow lauri fan.

The actual fun fact: since Nov.9th there still has not been two consecutive games where Lauri has shot under 40% from downtown.

You mean the one where he agrees that Dean Wade would be on the same list if he had more threes and dunks? :p

Nah. When he explains how far away the second place guys are from lauri. Markannen pulled away from the pack and left them all in the dust

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Jazz front office should take a look to Finnish NT roster, and with the light of all their future picks look to a certain Miro Little.

There is a lot to look into Finnish roster, but sadly some of them retired/are retiring. The point is that current Lauri never prevailed without his teammates. In the past no player did that either.
With all respect on your opinion but i'm not sure is Miro Little future NBA PG for Finland or not.
Yes Little was good in susijengi games and so on but how likely it is he gets drafted to NBA etc etc.

No-one doesn't know is Little NBA level talent or not.
Nkamhoua is other guy and he's overage player playing his 4th or was it 3rd year in university of Tennesee and still he isn't drafted to NBA.
I'm very sorry to say this but i don't see Nkamhoua and Little NBA players they will be good Euroleague / Euro players but that's it.

Last edited:
What I'm trying say.

People can disagree (and they will) in their takes, but it is only sad when it goes to personal infights (seen also in this very thread), I as a random Finnish Lauri fan would expect it all should at least to try to be constructive. In tone, and effort.

As it is in reality, take 10 Drunken Finnish Lauri fans and 10 Random drunken NBA fans of Salt Lake City, and it would be clear to everyone there immediately who can "conduct".

Our tendency to not "conduct" is by the fact that Lauri is somewhat nearest the guy...

Gallen-Kallela_The_defence_of_the_Sampo.png

There is ongoing discussion in Finland on what are criterions, and how to determine the Sportman of the year 2022.

Lauri is eligible, but Finnish audience just follow those eternal skiers. It never downed onto Finnish citizens that there may something bigger than that skiiing...
Iivo Niskanen will be sportman of the year 2022 and nothing won't stop it anymore so deal with it.
Niskanen has TOTALLY EARNED that honour so as much it pisses you the only thing what you can do is accept it as hard it will be.

If 30% is slumping hard he must be pretty ****ing good.
Wait, are you aware what the league average 3pt percentage is?

30% is terrible for a volume shooter. Not saying Lauri should stop shooting and it's good he's been able to score in other ways... but it is what it is. Just stating facts.

30% is terrible for a volume shooter. Not saying Lauri should stop shooting and it's good he's been able to score in other ways... but it is what it is. Just stating facts.
Read the title of this thread. If U gonna be complaining after few bad 3pt shooting games create some other thread for these. Again: read the title of this thread.

30% is terrible for a volume shooter. 30% isn’t terrible for a “slump.”

30% is terrible for a volume shooter. 30% isn’t terrible for a “slump.”
It is pretty terrible when you take seven 3pt shots per game and only make two. I'm sorry.

It's terrible when Beasley does it and it's terrible when Lauri does it. Not gonna move the goal posts for him.

Luckily, unlike Beas... Markkanen has other weapons. Just a question of utilizing them.

It is pretty terrible when you take seven 3pt shots per game and only make two. I'm sorry.

It's terrible when Beasley does it and it's terrible when Lauri does it. Not gonna move the goal posts for him.

Luckily, unlike Beas... Markkanen has other weapons. Just a question of utilizing them.

Markkanen made 83 out of his last 165 threes in the previous 22 games before that. That is 50.3% on 7.5 attempts per game.

To call him out after a few bad shooting games which weren’t even that bad to begin with is ****ing weak especially in this thread. Be better.

Also in this "shooting slump" from Markkanen he is 64/119 from the field for 53.8% from the field. Pretty ****ing good for a "slump".

I can't believe this is even a conversation that is coming up with Lauri currently playing the best ball of his career by a mile. All players have ups and downs throughout the season so this isn't even worth anyone's time.

This is the Finn-mentality rising on the forum. An old Finnish saying: a pessimist is never disappointed. The negativity is something I as a Finn very much do not like.

There is ongoing discussion in Finland on what are criterions, and how to determine the Sportman of the year 2022.

Lauri is eligible, but Finnish audience just follow those eternal skiers. It never downed onto Finnish citizens that there may something bigger than that skiiing...
Not sure if trolling or what, but Markkanen won't end up voted in Top4, probably not even in Top6. Rovanperä, Niskanen, Murto and Raitanen are all ahead of Markkanen in the vote (and only one of them is a cross-country skier). In the vote Markkanen is competing with the other team-sportsmen Barkov and Pukki for the positions 5-7. While leading the Finnish national team through a historic World Cup qualifiers, and also playing extremely well in EuroBasket, Markkanen actually won absolutely nothing in 2022, and the award by definition goes to the one who *won* something outstanding while also performing in an outstanding fashion for the whole year.

Markkanen, Barkov and Pukki sure are great sportsmen all, but to win the title of Sportsman of the Year you actually have to win something BIG, like the world-championship or Olympic gold. Back in his days Litmanen didn't win any such, but he did to win Champions league and also persoanally won the golden boot in Champions league (the player with most scored goals) before he was voted Sportsman of the year in 1995, and even that many considered to be more because the year was quite weak as there weren't any *real* sports-events that year.

Also, if Ainge had any inkling that Markennan was anywhere close to this special then he probably should not have gutted the roster. Probably should have kept bogey and Gobert or Donovan or at least traded one of those two for win now pieces. We could be a contender this very year if Ainge knew how good Markennan could be and would have made other moves accordingly.
Jazz didn't need to gut the roster. They have played the cards nearly perfectly this far

Markkanen made 83 out of his last 165 threes in the previous 22 games before that. That is 50.3% on 7.5 attempts per game.

To call him out after a few bad shooting games which weren’t even that bad to begin with is ****ing weak especially in this thread. Be better.
Just an observation. I'm well aware that Lauri had a career best hot streak before this (and a legit slump before that, to start the season). But now the pendulum has swung again.

It always does, and usually everything evens out. (And his 2pt shooting has nothing to do with this, obviously. That remains solid.)

Shooting slumps interest me because they're like slight mental malfunctions. Bugs in the code. IMO, they're a mild form of the yips. And some players are definitely more susceptible to them than others.

Most guys who've always relied on their long balls tend to want to "shoot their way out" of these slumps. It's almost superstition. We've already seen that this season with Beasley, who just keeps desperately launching bombs, no matter how badly they keep clanking. Lauri's pretty much doing the same now, and I always wonder about this approach. There are other options: when Olynyk stopped hitting from the perimeter a while ago, he turned timid and started passing off open shots. He was scared. Obviously, that's not good either. But then again, KO is not really a shooter anyway. He doesn't have that irrational confidence. He reacts differently.

I know veteran players don't like their routines disturbed too much or their touches/shots ****ed around with, but wouldn't it make sense for coaches to recognize when a player is slumping from the perimeter and to temporarily adjust their role (if possible)? Do we need a volume guy to be missing 80% of his 3pt shots game after game? I get the "it's still spacing the floor" argument, but the long rebound off a missed 3pt shot often jump starts a fast break by the other team, and you can't just stop fast breaks by fouling anymore. Bricks shouldn't be taken lightly.

I guess what l'm saying is, I'd like to see Lauri play a lot of center for a while on offense. Use him as the screener in high pick and rolls, let him dive to the hoop or do a short roll to the FT line. You could even mix it up by putting him at the dunker's spot when KO is playing the screener role.

Just don't park him on the weak side perimeter or in the corner, staring down those spot up 3's that are not dropping.

(Disclaimer: if you're a tanker, just ignore everything I just said and be happy Lauri is missing)

Last edited:
This is the Finn-mentality rising on the forum. An old Finnish saying: a pessimist is never disappointed. The negativity is something I as a Finn very much do not like.
The person making the ridiculous argument about Lauri shooting 30% from deep over a few games is a Finn?