What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

Jazz didn't need to gut the roster. They have played the cards nearly perfectly this far

I agree that they didnt need to. And if they knew Markennan was this good they probably wouldnt have. They didnt know he was this good though.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Wait, are you aware what the league average 3pt percentage is?

30% is terrible for a volume shooter. Not saying Lauri should stop shooting and it's good he's been able to score in other ways... but it is what it is. Just stating facts.
Why bother stating such “facts”? Every 3-point shooter has periods when 3s go in and then when they don’t. Just the way the cookie crumbles. And that’s why we have averages. When his 3s aren’t going in for Lauri, he uses other tools from his big toolbox. It’s different with Beasley, whose toolbox is small.

Just an observation. I'm well aware that Lauri had a career best hot streak before this (and a legit slump before that, to start the season). But now the pendulum has swung again.

It always does, and usually everything evens out. (And his 2pt shooting has nothing to do with this, obviously. That remains solid.)

Shooting slumps interest me because they're like slight mental malfunctions. Bugs in the code. IMO, they're a mild form of the yips. And some players are definitely more susceptible to them than others.

Most guys who've always relied on their long balls tend to want to "shoot their way out" of these slumps. It's almost superstition. We've already seen that this season with Beasley, who just keeps desperately launching bombs, no matter how badly they keep clanking. Lauri's pretty much doing the same now, and I always wonder about this approach. There are other options: when Olynyk stopped hitting from the perimeter a while ago, he turned timid and started passing off open shots. He was scared. Obviously, that's not good either. But then again, KO is not really a shooter anyway. He doesn't have that irrational confidence. He reacts differently.

I know veteran players don't like their routines disturbed too much or their touches/shots ****ed around with, but wouldn't it make sense for coaches to recognize when a player is slumping from the perimeter and to temporarily adjust their role (if possible)? Do we need a volume guy to be missing 80% of his 3pt shots game after game? I get the "it's still spacing the floor" argument, but the long rebound off a missed 3pt shot often jump starts a fast break by the other team, and you can't just stop fast breaks by fouling anymore. Bricks shouldn't be taken lightly.

I guess what l'm saying is, I'd like to see Lauri play a lot of center for a while on offense. Use him as the screener in high pick and rolls, let him dive to the hoop or do a short roll to the FT line. You could even mix it up by putting him at the dunker's spot when KO is playing the screener role.

Just don't park him on the weak side perimeter or in the corner, staring down those spot up 3's that are not dropping.

(Disclaimer: if you're a tanker, just ignore everything I just said and be happy Lauri is missing)
Yeah those 3-point shooters. It is hard to put a finger on it. Whatever it is, they’ve gotten better and better at it over the years.

Any Finns here who could potentially buy me a Finland Lauri jersey from Finland and ship it to me? I’ll compensate you for your time.

Why bother stating such “facts”? Every 3-point shooter has periods when 3s go in and then when they don’t. Just the way the cookie crumbles. And that’s why we have averages. When his 3s aren’t going in for Lauri, he uses other tools from his big toolbox. It’s different with Beasley, whose toolbox is small.
It's all in my post. Read it or don't, I don't give a ****.

LOL

Who the **** are you and why are you talking about me in the first place?
Not talking as much about you as the attitude you project here. Who am I is of no concequence to you.

You are exactly right that Lauri has cooled down from 3 but as you have maybe noticed, people want to define the situation more optimistically than "terrible" as you stated. Regardless of the cooling down 3pt he is producing in multiple different ways. Hence, he does not compare to one dimensional shooters who are in a similar slump.

It all adds up to whether your glass is half full or half empty. Finns tend to chose the half empty ones. As well as over-analyze the negatives.

If this front off is all in and just as impressed with the Finnisher as the long term 1st opton answer to title contention, as some of you are. Then they should, and could turn around and give up a lot of recently gotten draft picks, and players besdies him, to the point where they get a legit, all star caliber running mate under 25 for Lauri in the next month.
But Building through the draft has a lot of advantanges, for savvy marketing campaigns. like keeping the fans hungry for the future selling hope over actual results.
I could see them sending out a haul to get SGA for example or at least trying.

He needs to get his shot back on track. He is the very definition of streaky. Good thing he does so many other things to help us win.

Lauri in good speed down to his career average shooting, but he has developed drives/cuts to get FTs up. More dimes please.

He needs to get his shot back on track. He is the very definition of streaky. Good thing he does so many other things to help us win.

He has been in his career very streaky. For this season this is the first stretch of few games in a row since Nov. 9th where his threes has not been hitting. I would thing that this home heavy stretch should get back some consistency again. His outside shot is a bit flatter than ideal so if there is even a bit extra tiredness or insecure feeling taking them shots the error of margin is not big. If this becomes more than a 2 weeks of cold stretch from three I am surprised considering he had the best stretch of his career which lasted almost two months with insane splits.

Cavs have his number in a lot of ways, anyone can see what the Cavs were able to do, to his shooting rhythm last night even though he did well in other areas.