What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

Facts... Sabonis should be a starter in west and is not even top 10 in fan votes. Fans are stupid af. :D
But he gets in as will Lauri. BC people with understanding are selecting them reserves.
Yeah Kings are 4th in west playing good bball but neither Fox nor Sabonis is listed. The latter should be top 4.

Also Jerami Grant another huge snub.. as is Haliburton in East.

Holy crap, Mitchell is going to get voted in! What a difference a change of market can make.
It is not so much a change in market as it is a change in conference. If the cavs were in the west then Mitchell likely still has a similar amount of votes as he received with us.

It is not so much a change in market as it is a change in conference. If the cavs were in the west then Mitchell likely still has a similar amount of votes as he received with us.

I’m not sure I follow. Why would that make any difference?

I’m not sure I follow. Why would that make any difference?
Because when you fill in an all star ballot you are only able to pick 2 guards for each conference. In the east he is competing against far less popular players than in the west. Most of these idiots filling out the ballots are just picking the most popular players so obviously Luka and Steph dominate the ballot. I would say Ja Morant is more popular than Donovan but even he can't come close to touching those 2 guys in the voting. Put him in the east and he is probably getting more votes than Donovan.

Because when you fill in an all star ballot you are only able to pick 2 guards for each conference. In the east he is competing against far less popular players than in the west. Most of these idiots filling out the ballots are just picking the most popular players so obviously Luka and Steph dominate the ballot.

Wow, I never even thought of that. That’s actually really smart of you to think of that.

Nobody in the entire league besides Lauri averages 24.5+ PPG with a usage rate lower than 25. The closest is Jokic at a 27.0 usage rate. Lauri is at 24.3. That is the difference between 27th and 73rd in the entire league in usage rate. That is how insanely good Lauri has been this year.

Holy crap, Mitchell is going to get voted in! What a difference a change of market can make.
He is also having a career best season and he has been an all star the last couple years. But ya, being in a bit bigger market closer to the east coast probably helps too.

He is also having a career best season and he has been an all star the last couple years. But ya, being in a bit bigger market closer to the east coast probably helps too.
Yeah none of that would have mattered if he had been in Utah. He still wouldn't get the votes.

Markkanen is now essentially neck and neck in MIP odds with SGA. Fanduel and BetMGM both had Markkanen 3rd clearly behind SGA and Tyrese (with SGA being a clear favourite) until 3 weeks ago.. When Markkanen had that 49 point game he started gaining ground and now is right on the heels.

Right now the odds are:
SGA +105 (Fanduel) / +100 (BetMGM)
Markkanen +125 / +115
Haliburton +1500 / +1300

If Markkanen keeps up his current pace (from mid Dec to now), he should win it by a landslide since his current averages (24.5 PPG) still reflect the early season when he was 22.4 PPG instead of 28.5 PPG (last 15 games, since mid Dec)... so keeping the current pace he would finish the season around 27 PPG. If he ended up at exactly 27 PPG it would be 8.3 PPG more than he has ever before averaged and 12.2 PPG more than last season. :D :D :D

Markkanen is now essentially neck and neck in MIP odds with SGA. Fanduel and BetMGM both had Markkanen 3rd clearly behind SGA and Tyrese (with SGA being a clear favourite) until 3 weeks ago.. When Markkanen had that 49 point game he started gaining ground and now is right on the heels.

Right now the odds are:
Markkanen +125 / +115
Haliburton +1500 / +1300

If Markkanen keeps up his current pace (from mid Dec to now), he should win it by a landslide since his current averages (24.5 PPG) still reflect the early season when he was 22.4 PPG instead of 28.5 PPG (last 15 games, since mid Dec)... so keeping the current pace he would finish the season around 27 PPG. If he ended up at exactly 27 PPG it would be 8.3 PPG more than he has ever before averaged and 12.2 PPG more than last season. :D :D :D
It's so weird that SGA is among the favorites for this. Sure he's improved his numbers, but it's not like he suddenly went from role player to star like Lauri.

Right now the odds are:
Markkanen +125 / +115
Haliburton +1500 / +1300

I got Lauri at +700 two weeks ago.

It's so weird that SGA is among the favorites for this. Sure he's improved his numbers, but it's not like he suddenly went from role player to star like Lauri.
SGA been clearly the frontrunner all year. Like 20 games in it was -100, +700 Hali, +1500 Lauri. Its often awarded to the best player out of all that are considered to be "new stars" in the league... almost regardless to where they started from.

Lauri is the most deserving by the definition of the award... but based on how it has been awarded in the past SGA might still win it.

Agreed. I really don't think this award should even be close. What Lauri is doing blows away the improvement of these other guys.

neither one of them lived up to expectations until this season, but yes the Finnisher is way more improved from a statline perspective, as a first option anyway. Whereas SGA has been handed undeserving usage and minutes for a few seasons already. My take is Markkanen should win it, but he will not be credited as a non playmker with the Jazz success, nearly as as much as Halliburton will be for Indiana's or SGA would if OKC continues on the recent climb out of the Wemby stakes. What a dumb ****ing time to stop tanking btw if you are OKC.