What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

It's so weird that SGA is among the favorites for this. Sure he's improved his numbers, but it's not like he suddenly went from role player to star like Lauri.
Agreed

I bet lots of fans only log in to vote their team or a specific player and just fill the ballots with top if the list guys.

Haliburton and Sabonis are gonna get snubbed because their PPG means you gotta scroll down too far to find them... While guys like Trae are gonna get in purely due to his PPG.

Skiing is damn ****ing cool thing.

Respect for those who are able to do that.
Referring the Finlands "Athlete of the year" vote?

With all due respect to what those three great athletes who beat Lauri accomplished... it just pales in comparison to the historical nature of what Lauri has achieved both with the national team and in the NBA.

Never been done before.. not even close really.

And all of that in a much more competed sport where Finland doesnt really provide a great domestic platform to grow.

Zach Lowe and Bill Simmons discussed if Markkanen should be a West starter over Lebron. Both are press voters (I think?).

They both put Jokic and Sabonis as their top 2 but say 3rd frontcourt starter is a close race between Lauri and Lebron.

Should start from the right spot (45:25):

View: https://youtu.be/Vrhma4BcWmE

I'm a bit suprised as Lauri basically bypassed both Portis and Mirotic in Bulls hierarchy. I assumed Bobby wasn't too happy.

Portis and Mirotic had fight in pre-season scrimmages and Portis got suspended 8 games on that because he punched Mirotic on the face.
Mirotic was sidelined due to face injury 2-3 months and Bulls only option for PF spot was Lauri.
That's how it went and Lauri became a starter in his rookie year and rest is history.