What's new

Lauri Markkanen, no longer considered untouchable?

The first question to be answered is are we building a competitive team or a contending team. The next question is what pieces are missing from being competitive/contending and how likely is it that we can obtain/develop those pieces within Lauri's window.

If we are just trying to be competitive and have a playoff good team, I have to think we have the players/assets to make that happen pretty quickly. If we are trying to be a championship contending team, then we might say we are too far away. Unfortunately if we trade Lauri, we are even further away from contention.

I don't think there is any rush to trade Lauri this year, and so we should have lots of time to evaluate things.

Every week he's not traded decreases his market value slightly. That's just a fact.
Not a fact. If we extend him (re-sign) and he is league mvp next season then he would be more valuable than he is right now.

I do think Lauri deserves to play on a playoff team sooner than later. I'm sure he is somewhat conflicted about wanting to stay in the same place and not have to move again vs playing for a competitive team. The best of both worlds would be for Utah to be competitive, but right now it's hard to see that happening any time soon.

My biggest concern with Lauri is the lack of assist. It's one thing if you can't create your own shot, but if you can't even setup your teammates for easy looks, it's a bit concerning. I'd like to see him average at least 3.APG.

My biggest concern with Lauri is the lack of assist. It's one thing if you can't create your own shot, but if you can't even setup your teammates for easy looks, it's a bit concerning. I'd like to see him average at least 3.APG.
His nickname is basically right on point. I’ve been surprised he hasn’t been more successful creating and scoring out of the mid post. Don’t think he will be anything other than a really basic passer.

Looks like I may be wrong and the Jazz may get a Don/Rudy like haul:

2. Let the Lauri Bidding Begin​

Speaking of Markkanen: On Friday, Yahoo’s Jake Fischer reported that the Jazz are leaving teams with the impression that Markkanen can be acquired in a trade, though it’s unlikely a move will be made due to the team’s high asking price. That said, here’s what Jazz front office boss Danny Ainge said way back in 2015: “There’s no such thing as untouchables.”

Ainge said this while he was running the Celtics, and it’s still true to this day, which is why former Jazz star Donovan Mitchell is now in Cleveland and Rudy Gobert is in Minnesota. Ainge is willing to trade just about anyone on his roster.

Of course, there is no rush to deal a 26-year-old All-Star with two years remaining on his contract at a team-friendly rate. But with a versatile skill set that’d allow Markkanen to fit on virtually any team, these factors all give him league-wide appeal.

So what’s the line for an acceptable offer? My impression from talking to teams is that it’s something resembling the haul the Jazz received for Mitchell and Gobert: so, five-ish firsts and/or players of comparable value. This is a lot for Markkanen in the sense that he doesn’t have postseason scoring success like Mitchell, or three Defensive Player of the Year trophies like Gobert. As good as Lauri is, he’s made an All-Star team only once and thrived at this level in only one system. But his qualities seem like a fit for virtually any scenario you can imagine: Flanking Bam Adebayo in Miami’s frontcourt, adding a desperate influx of shooting to help Detroit’s young core, replacing Julius Randle in New York, filling open space in Golden State, operating in the two-man game with Tyrese Haliburton in Indiana, mixing in with Houston’s versatile core, thriving off the ball in New Orleans, or completing Oklahoma City’s core.

Utah might determine Markkanen looks best as part of its own future. But with so many teams likely having interest and having the assets to make intriguing offers, we know that Jazz are at least willing to listen.

Looks like I may be wrong and the Jazz may get a Don/Rudy like haul:

There's also not any big stars likely to hit the market right now unless Cleveland puts Don out there. Kinda similar to how DA took advantage of the market before. I'm moving more likely that something happens with Lauri this year but still think its like 20% chance or less and if it happens the return will be big.

There's also not any big stars likely to hit the market right now unless Cleveland puts Don out there. Kinda similar to how DA took advantage of the market before. I'm moving more likely that something happens with Lauri this year but still think its like 20% chance or less and if it happens the return will be big.

I'm also starting to think it's more likely that we go this direction than the other direction of adding significant talent to the Jazz roster. We know we can make a Lauri deal, but there isn't an obvious other deal that significantly improves the Jazz. I consider myself a Lavine apologist, but come on. I think there's >50% chance we trade him before the off season. As far as sooner vs later....I feel like it's not as likely it happens at the deadline, but if I'm looking at it from the buyer's perspective, I want Lauri right now. You lose a playoff run with him if you wait.

It will be great when we have no tangible product but "man, we've got sooo many assets!!"

And just to beat a dead horse...

When it's brought up of some hypothetical of "hey, what if we had figured out a way to get Lauri to add to our team?" it is mentioned that there was no way to predict his blow up happening. That's true and I have no disagreements with that. The problem that I have is that with regard to that situation or any others, we appeal to the idea that it was impossible to know the future, yet when we talk about our team going nowhere, we speak in absolutes that it was 100% knowable and unable to be redeemed. And, because we cut it off, there's no way to actual combat that belief with anything, so the sentiment stands. I still stand by the idea that to get back to where we were has a lower probability of happening than to go from where we were to where we were wanting to be.

I'm also starting to think it's more likely that we go this direction than the other direction of adding significant talent to the Jazz roster. We know we can make a Lauri deal, but there isn't an obvious other deal that significantly improves the Jazz. I consider myself a Lavine apologist, but come on. I think there's >50% chance we trade him before the off season. As far as sooner vs later....I feel like it's not as likely it happens at the deadline, but if I'm looking at it from the buyer's perspective, I want Lauri right now. You lose a playoff run with him if you wait.
Unless someone bowls us over I think the time to move him is draft day. I think we'd need 4-5 prime assets to do it now. At draft time you can see where everyone is slotted and likely get a top 7 pick this year plus 2 other picks... and that might be preferable to 4 picks that we hope are good. I think because of the other picks we have we focus on quality and not quantity. I also think a guy like Jarace Walker would serve as a good premium asset to start with. If GS wants to give us all their picks and swaps we can and they find something interesting for Kuminga/Moody then I could get on board there maybe.

I just think its OKC and they should be falling over themselves to push this. If Giddey had more value I could see us taking him plus picks or some team taking him and giving us something else we like better. The PR around him obviously makes it hard... even if you liked the player he is.

I think this offseason Memphis could offer something interesting but for now I'd say OKC, Indiana, Brooklyn... maybe Houston. Rockets seem impatient but I just don't like Green all that much. Amen, Eason, and a 2 picks they own from other teams?

It will be great when we have no tangible product but "man, we've got sooo many assets!!"

And just to beat a dead horse...

When it's brought up of some hypothetical of "hey, what if we had figured out a way to get Lauri to add to our team?" it is mentioned that there was no way to predict his blow up happening. That's true and I have no disagreements with that. The problem that I have is that with regard to that situation or any others, we appeal to the idea that it was impossible to know the future, yet when we talk about our team going nowhere, we speak in absolutes that it was 100% knowable and unable to be redeemed. And, because we cut it off, there's no way to actual combat that belief with anything, so the sentiment stands. I still stand by the idea that to get back to where we were has a lower probability of happening than to go from where we were to where we were wanting to be.
One day to start the season I imagine we only have 4 players on the actual roster and we are all looking at each other going "that's right... we forgot to get players and picks."

Trading Lauri would be "taking profits" and would simplify things in that we know what direction we are headed. It would be a bit frustrating as that direction would be a long path. I would take some solace in how quickly OKC has turned things around. No one has really done "the process" with as many assets as we'd have to start with except OKC. SGA was a huge shortcut and I don't see us having that guy unfortunately.

Amick had a nice article on Lauri... here are Lauri's thoughts

"I just want to emphasize,” he said at the end of our 10-minute chat, “that I really believe in what we’re building here with the Jazz.”

He doesn't want to be moved. We will be able to negotiate an extension this offseason as long as we keep the cap clean. This is very good for us but it does give DA ultimate leverage (that's right... LEVERAGE TALK!) in any trade negotiation. Go ahead an make a fair offer... we will reject it... offers that are 150% of what market should be are what will get it done.

Lauri has made it pretty clear he wants to be here and believes in the rebuild. Amick reported Lauri emphasized he believes in what the Jazz are building and wants to stay before the Sac game. He's a great guy to build around. No idea why anyone would want to trade him unless maybe some stupid crazy good offer came in, but I'm doubtful of that.