What's new

Lauri Markkanen, no longer considered untouchable?

On the Sacramento front... They get more interesting after the season ends as their obligation to Atlanta will be done. So can offer 4 full firsts.

Lauri has made it pretty clear he wants to be here and believes in the rebuild. Amick reported Lauri emphasized he believes in what the Jazz are building and wants to stay before the Sac game. He's a great guy to build around. No idea why anyone would want to trade him unless maybe some stupid crazy good offer came in, but I'm doubtful of that.
I think most of the bluster now is "go ahead and send us a stupid offer if you'd like". He's so good and such a clean fit in so many spots that I can see a godfather offer coming in. Not likely but not crazy.

It will be great when we have no tangible product but "man, we've got sooo many assets!!"

And just to beat a dead horse...

When it's brought up of some hypothetical of "hey, what if we had figured out a way to get Lauri to add to our team?" it is mentioned that there was no way to predict his blow up happening. That's true and I have no disagreements with that. The problem that I have is that with regard to that situation or any others, we appeal to the idea that it was impossible to know the future, yet when we talk about our team going nowhere, we speak in absolutes that it was 100% knowable and unable to be redeemed. And, because we cut it off, there's no way to actual combat that belief with anything, so the sentiment stands. I still stand by the idea that to get back to where we were has a lower probability of happening than to go from where we were to where we were wanting to be.

Building on what we had was difficult with limited assets, no doubt about that. Getting back to where we were even with all these assets is also extremely difficult and even as we run into those difficulties I still think people overlook that. But now we're in this position where we can just deflect to the future. Whether or not that actually manifests into something, we'll wait and see, but I can see how that's comfortable for many. In the other situation there was actual pressure to perform.

Lauri has made it pretty clear he wants to be here and believes in the rebuild. Amick reported Lauri emphasized he believes in what the Jazz are building and wants to stay before the Sac game. He's a great guy to build around. No idea why anyone would want to trade him unless maybe some stupid crazy good offer came in, but I'm doubtful of that.

Lauri is a good guy to build around, but you do actually have to build around him. I don't think that means you have to trade for a star today, but I also don't think you can just sit around in "waiting for a move" mode year after year. It's actually a shame when you have a player like Lauri and do not give him the chance to win anything. Despite his optimism, I imagine it's also not a great feeling to use up the prime of his career playing for a franchise who quits have way through the season each year because the team isn't good enough.

Lauri is a good guy to build around, but you do actually have to build around him. I don't think that means you have to trade for a star today, but I also don't think you can just sit around in "waiting for a move" mode year after year. It's actually a shame when you have a player like Lauri and do not give him the chance to win anything. Despite his optimism, I imagine it's also not a great feeling to use up the prime of his career playing for a franchise who quits have way through the season each year because the team isn't good enough.
And if you can’t find the star you have to at least adjust from project and value flip mode. Like you have to build an actual roster and not a collection of stuff. The pivot point is coming this offseason and trade deadline. If they punt it’s a sign they have no plan.

Well as far as your year after year comment.... We haven't even reached the trade deadline of year two.
Also he doesn't play for a franchise who quits half way through the season each year either. Again, it's the beginning of year two.
Not sky is falling time yet.

Maybe he really enjoyed the team building and all the playoff success that was happening in Cleveland and Chicago though and misses it.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Amick had a nice article on Lauri... here are Lauri's thoughts

"I just want to emphasize,” he said at the end of our 10-minute chat, “that I really believe in what we’re building here with the Jazz.”

He doesn't want to be moved. We will be able to negotiate an extension this offseason as long as we keep the cap clean. This is very good for us but it does give DA ultimate leverage (that's right... LEVERAGE TALK!) in any trade negotiation. Go ahead an make a fair offer... we will reject it... offers that are 150% of what market should be are what will get it done.

If Lauri is saying this after the type of season we are having, man I would be really sad to see him go. I think the question would be how long is he willing to be bad for though? It is going to be really tempting to be very bad next year, is Lauri cool with that?

This is his seventh year in the league and most likely entering his prime years. I am pretty sure he is not happy with the fact that he has the longest career among current NBA players without play off experience. That is not jazz`s fault, but still a fact. I am 100 % he would prefer to stay, it is quite obvious that he enjoys life in Utah. At the same time I would not blame him if he would be looking at places where grass is greener for his timeline. Same goes for the Jazz of course, Lauri as young he is, might be too old for the team.

Lauri does not care about the money. I think it was his second or third year in the league when he already said that he is good for life money wise. Still, as most of the pro athletes, eventually he wants to play really meaningful games.

This is his seventh year in the league and most likely entering his prime years. I am pretty sure he is not happy with the fact that he has the longest career among current NBA players without play off experience. That is not jazz`s fault, but still a fact. I am 100 % he would prefer to stay, it is quite obvious that he enjoys life in Utah. At the same time I would not blame him if he would be looking at places where grass is greener for his timeline. Same goes for the Jazz of course, Lauri as young he is, might be too old for the team.

Lauri does not care about the money. I think it was his second or third year in the league when he already said that he is good for life money wise. Still, as most of the pro athletes, eventually he wants to play really meaningful games.
Yeah, players say this, but players also like more money.

Joe Ingles said he would retire and go back to Australia and that money wasnt important, then Orlando offered him 22/2

I love Lauri, but I have doubts the Jazz can attract the required talent to build around him. The best strategy is to rebuild through the draft, while acquiring supplementary pieces when the right deal comes along. It would probably be for the best for all parties if he's traded.

Amick had a nice article on Lauri... here are Lauri's thoughts

"I just want to emphasize,” he said at the end of our 10-minute chat, “that I really believe in what we’re building here with the Jazz.”

He doesn't want to be moved. We will be able to negotiate an extension this offseason as long as we keep the cap clean. This is very good for us but it does give DA ultimate leverage (that's right... LEVERAGE TALK!) in any trade negotiation. Go ahead an make a fair offer... we will reject it... offers that are 150% of what market should be are what will get it done.
I know he likes Utah. I'm wondering how long he'll be happy with the low number of touches he has gotten. We need to get rid at least 2 of THT/Clarkson/Sexton.

Joe Ingles said he would retire and go back to Australia and that money wasnt important, then Orlando offered him 22/2
Hes good but Lauri can take care of his kids, his kid's kids, and everyone that he loves around him with the money that is coming. If winning was everything he would already be complaining.

He said that in response to a question about him going for a media job after his career is over. I don't remember him saying anything about not wanting a new contract in the NBA.

I know he likes Utah. I'm wondering how long he'll be happy with the low number of touches he has gotten. We need to get rid at least 2 of THT/Clarkson/Sexton.
Yeah thats the question. And the other question on the Jazz side of things is do they want to take the next step in 24-25 with the 2025 draft containing the next big player.

It makes sense to buy time until the offseason cuz you never know what might become available. If someone blows you away though I can see us saying yes and moving the other direction.

If Lauri is saying this after the type of season we are having, man I would be really sad to see him go. I think the question would be how long is he willing to be bad for though? It is going to be really tempting to be very bad next year, is Lauri cool with that?
Yeah... are we cool with it? Is he? IDK and that's why the last offseason was so critical imo. I like both high draft picks but we didn't get a guy that has obvious all-star upside in the next few years... which would have helped the timeline stuff start to really line up. Now we kinda gotta force something if we want to be more than a mid 30s win team.