What's new

LDS Singles

jimmy eat jazz

Here is an interesting article https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012...gles-wards-marriage_n_1875524.html?ref=topbar. Even the LDS Church cannot escape the inevitable march of social change, as much as it wants to envelope its membership in a pre-1960's cultural and social bubble. I would imagine, also, that among all of these singles, there's a whole lot of sex going on, both of the self pleasure kind and of the do it with a partner kind (asking sexually hard-wired beings to abstain from sex or 'impure' thoughts their entire lives is a tall order, and in my mind unreasonable, but I digress). It will be interesting to see what, if any, internal changes this social trend produces. Regardless how one feels about the LDS Church and the issue of human relations and sexuality, this appears to be a significant issue that will require some kind of institutional response beyond the same ol' same ol'. (I imagine that other traditional/conservative religions here in the US, and probably elsewhere, are going through a similar thing.)

He's saying that just because LDS singles may be having sex doesn't mean the church can't keep saying it's wrong.

No. He's saying just because a girl says "Don't" doesnt mean she doesnt want it. PKM knows sometimes you gotta work through a few NO's to get a YES.

He's saying that just because LDS singles may be having sex doesn't mean the church can't keep saying it's wrong.

Oh sure, it can say whatever it wants. I've never said it couldn't. That said, humans are hard wired for sex, it is a fundamental part of who we are as a species and a vital/important part of our life experience, as is the need for many, many people for sexual intimacy. I'm saying that I don't think it's reasonable to ask/expect people to deny this aspect of their nature and deny themselves this vital life experience for an entire life. We'll disagree on this, but agree that the LDS Church, or any Church, can advance any policy in this regard it chooses.

Oh sure, it can say whatever it wants. I've never said it couldn't. That said, humans are hard wired for sex, it is a fundamental part of who we are as a species and a vital/important part of our life experience, as is the need for many, many people for sexual intimacy. I'm saying that I don't think it's reasonable to ask/expect people to deny this aspect of their nature and deny themselves this vital life experience for an entire life. We'll disagree on this, but agree that the LDS Church, or any Church, can advance any policy in this regard it chooses.

entire life? Guess I got a click the link..

entire life? Guess I got a click the link..

yes, according to LDS Doctrine, sex is ordained SOLELY for marriage. No pre-marital sex allowed--none, not even masturbation or petting. If not married, or gay, you are expected to remain celibate your entire life, while always striving to keep your thoughts 'pure' (so don't think too much about sex either).

Strange (from a religious standpoint, I mean).

So the story was kind of creepy, imo. A successful guy that's like 40 years old, has never done anything but play cards .. no wonder he can't find a woman.

Strange (from a religious standpoint, I mean).

So the story was kind of creepy, imo. A successful guy that's like 40 years old, has never done anything but play cards .. no wonder he can't find a woman.

He sounds like a dope despite his apparent business success. Who is Mormon(and otherwise Christian for that matter) and dates somebody for 4 1/2 years? The no sex thing is one of the reasons Mormons/Commited Christians are notorious for pulling a quick trigger on marriage. The girl probably started drinking because she knew her idiot boyfriend that she plowed so much time into didn't have the nuts to put a ring on her at year 1, 2, 3, or 4 so she figured something must be wrong with her.

And as for the sex thing, you can't be a Christian and have pre-martial sex. It's as simple as that. It's not an intellectual concept, it's a spiritual concept. It's about having Christ within or not within you. That's what a Christian is - somebody that is consumed by the spirit of Christ. You sin, the spirit goes away. That's how it works. Those idiots that party like crazy and put their Facebook belief status as being a Christian aren't Christians. It's an impossibility. And it's also the reason why I think Mormonism actually develops real Christians better than many other Christian belief systems, despite not being one anymore myself.

I have known some extremely religious self described Christians that had pre-marital sex, so it seems that there is some room to agree to disagree.

I have known some extremely religious self described Christians that had pre-marital sex, so it seems that there is some room to agree to disagree.

The whole religion is based upon redemption from those types of behaviors so of course there are Christians with stories to tell. The point is you can't be actively participating in those activities and be a Christ filled Christian. Those things are incompatible.

He sounds like a dope despite his apparent business success. Who is Mormon(and otherwise Christian for that matter) and dates somebody for 4 1/2 years? The no sex thing is one of the reasons Mormons/Commited Christians are notorious for pulling a quick trigger on marriage. The girl probably started drinking because she knew her idiot boyfriend that she plowed so much time into didn't have the nuts to put a ring on her at year 1, 2, 3, or 4 so she figured something must be wrong with her.

And as for the sex thing, you can't be a Christian and have pre-martial sex. It's as simple as that. It's not an intellectual concept, it's a spiritual concept. It's about having Christ within or not within you. That's what a Christian is - somebody that is consumed by the spirit of Christ. You sin, the spirit goes away. That's how it works. Those idiots that party like crazy and put their Facebook belief status as being a Christian aren't Christians. It's an impossibility. And it's also the reason why I think Mormonism actually develops real Christians better than many other Christian belief systems, despite not being one anymore myself.

I heard from a guy the other day that his definition of being a Christian is TOLO (For those who don't know what that is, **** Out, and Legs Open). Seems contradictory to me.

The blotted out word rhymes with pits.