What's new

Letting Paul Millsap leave killed the Utah Jazz

Yell42

Letting a stud player who was also the teams heart and soul walk to another team just so you can give undeserved minutes to some untried kids was the worst mistake the Utah Jazz ever made. They showed him no respect .

Look what Millsap has done for Atlanta, they are a legit contender 28-8, 1st in the East and Sap was an All Star last season, and probably this season too..

Meanwhile the Jazz let him walk so they could give time to overrated kids in Kanter and Favors and of course, the amazing Marvin Williams and Richard Jefferson. Brilliant strategy.

No wonder this organization is a basket case with no hope in sight. You reap what you sow.

Reactions: MVP
Should have traded him instead of losing him for nothing.
-
For those who are frustrated with the team to this extent, I suggest becoming a suns fan until the Jazz come around. They're in the 8th seed as of now and with any luck, they'll make a nice push down the stretch and then get bumped by OKC at the end. The perfect NBA season tbh.

Should have traded him instead of losing him for nothing.
-
For those who are frustrated with the team to this extent, I suggest becoming a suns fan until the Jazz come around. They're in the 8th seed as of now and with any luck, they'll make a nice push down the stretch and then get bumped by OKC at the end. The perfect NBA season tbh.

And the best part is that they will have near one half of their total salary invested point guards. Sweet!

Letting a stud player who was also the teams heart and soul walk to another team just so you can give undeserved minutes to some untried kids was the worst mistake the Utah Jazz ever made. They showed him no respect .

Look what Millsap has done for Atlanta, they are a legit contender 28-8, 1st in the East and Sap was an All Star last season, and probably this season too..

Meanwhile the Jazz let him walk so they could give time to overrated kids in Kanter and Favors and of course, the amazing Marvin Williams and Richard Jefferson. Brilliant strategy.

No wonder this organization is a basket case with no hope in sight. You reap what you sow.

If Exum becomes a star the jazz FO is genius.

If he doesn't you might have a valid point.

The Hawks will maybe win one playoff series and then lose in the second round. Woopadeedoo. They play in the East. Get over it.

If I could have anybody from the Hawks, it would be Budenholzer. Not that I don't like Quin, but Bud is one helluva coach.

1. Al Horford and Jeff Teague are as good if not better than Sap.
2. He plays in the east.
3. Atlanta has an amazing coach, better than Corbin and Snyder

I'll new we understand the Millsap haters in this board. He was a 2nd rounder!

I like Paul. He was a good guy. He is simply the best 2nd rounder to ever play other than Ginobli. He came into the league as a hustle player and has now developed an incredible offensive game. We should have gotten some value out of him.

Yes, he was just unstoppable the last time the Jazz got to the playoffs. The Spurs had no answer for Milsap and we swept them, right?

Get over Sap. He is gone and the Jazz were going nowhere with him, nowhere. Now there is a glimmer of hope that we can be competitive again.

Honestly Millsap would still be here if it wasn't for Millsap. His actions on and off the court showed he wouldn't be here the following year. I have no problem letting Millsap go. We had two youg talented bigs, and the Jazz needed to see what they had in them. To call Favors overrated is ridiculous. He's been our best player to this point, and we are starting to see real improvement, plus it is looking like the twin towers of Favors and Gobert is showing huge potential, and think in two years both will be better then Millsap. I already feel Favors is better. Millsap is the better offensive player but Favors is greatly improving and his defense is light years ahead of Millsap.

The moral of the story is that the op is an idiot and uneducated when it comes to the business of the nba. Question is and I'm asking because I don't know... If we had kept Millsap would we still have Gobert X and Hood, and how developed would Favers be? Would we even have signed him to that very favorable contract? Would Hayward be in Charlotte?

I was glad we got rid of Millsap then, and love the desection the team is headed in now.

There's no way Millsap is an allstar in the west, and if Favors was in the east it's not out of the question he'd be playing better then he is now, and he's been pretty damn good and even better along side Gobert.

In my opinion it was great courage and foresight to let both Millsap and Al go. In two years this team is playoff bound. In 3-7 years we could be contenders.

If Exum becomes a star the jazz FO is genius.

If he doesn't you might have a valid point.

Even if Exum doesn't, something had to be done. Neither Millsap nor Favors were happy being subs. And Derrick has said several times he's a PF. Millsap had comparable numbers to last season a few times with Utah, but the West is loaded with PF's; there was no way he was going to be named an all-star in the WC.

Had Utah kept Millsap, what next? Big Al was gone, regardless. So likely re-sign Foye and DMC (the pre-Quin Snyder version), and replace Mo with some other mid-level PG. That's the salary situation the Jazz faced.

Sorry, Yell42, but I just don't see that team ever contending. Millsap, as an all-star, "led" the Hawks to a 38-44 record last year. Utah had a comparable record under Corbin with their veteran-heavy team of Millsap, Jefferson, Foye, Mo and Hayward. Don't blame RJ and Marvin on Lindsey, though. Playing those guys - neither of whom had futures in Utah - so many minutes was 100% on Ty. And I'm sure that was one of the reasons he was shown the door.

And we keep coming back to this "we let Millsap go for nothing" argument which is so annoying. No, Dennis Lindsey had the choice between re-signing him or using the cap space for other purposes. By NOT taking on a longer-term deal, he had the cap space available to make a deal, which he did. Ultimately, by taking on Rush, Biedrins and RJ, the Jazz DID get 1st rounders for both Al and Paul. The only difference is that it got done in the summer and not at the trade deadline.

Atlanta went through the SAME process Utah is going through. They missed the playoffs 8 straight years (which is pretty hard to do in the EC). They've now made the playoffs for 7 years, but haven't had much luck, usually losing in the 1st round, including last year WITH Millsap. They brought in a new coach, made some roster changes and are now hitting their stride with players stepping up (Teague) and being healthy (Horford). I'm sure there were a lot of fans, though, who questioned why the Hawks got rid of Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams and Mike Bibby - four of their top five scorers - who had taken them to the EC semis. Atlanta rebuilt, just as Utah is doing.

Even if Exum doesn't, something had to be done. Neither Millsap nor Favors were happy being subs. And Derrick has said several times he's a PF. Millsap had comparable numbers to last season a few times with Utah, but the West is loaded with PF's; there was no way he was going to be named an all-star in the WC.

And we keep coming back to this "we let Millsap go for nothing" argument which is so annoying. No, Dennis Lindsey had the choice between re-signing him or using the cap space for other purposes. By NOT taking on a longer-term deal, he had the cap space available to make a deal, which he did. Ultimately, by taking on Rush, Biedrins and RJ, the Jazz DID get 1st rounders for both Al and Paul. The only difference is that it got done in the summer .

Exactly. Perplexes me that folks keep missing this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Favors will get to play PF and Gobert at C. Favors is a better defender than Millsap (tweener). Favors has continued to develop his jumper and will be a 20/10 guy next season. He's 23 and is 16/8.6 now - the guy is going to be a star.

I like Millsap and would have loved him at SF but it didn't happen. Now we have Hayward there (though he could play 2 if Millsap played 3). Our 3-5 isn't the problem - it's our 1-2. I'm not completely sold on Burks and our PG situation sucks. We need a PURE PG and a SG who can play lock-down D.

I like Millsap and would have loved him at SF but it didn't happen. Now we have Hayward there (though he could play 2 if Millsap played 3). Our 3-5 isn't the problem - it's our 1-2. I'm not completely sold on Burks and our PG situation sucks. We need a PURE PG and a SG who can play lock-down D.

Raul Neto & Millsap

Which led me to check Raul's stats this year:

16 games played (5 as a starter) / 22 mins per game
27% from 3
49% from 2
65% Free Throws
8.6 pts
4.4 ***
2.1 rbs
0.3 blocks

Calderon would also be a very PG for this team imo, in terms of mentoring our young PG's, not sure how you could make such a trade work though.