What's new

Living in Tooele County

olden_undercover

I'm thinking pretty seriously of buying/building a home in Tooele County-- specifically the Erda/Lake Point area, but also looking at parts of Stansbury and northeast Tooele. If you have lived or are living out there, I'd love some perspective.

What are your general likes/dislikes?
Do you commute to Salt Lake or Davis County for work?
How are the schools?
Anything else you maybe wish you'd known before moving there.

I've known people who commute from Tooele. I really can't imagine sticking myself out in that **** hole and then spending a few hours a day commuting because of it.

I don't care what the property costs. Unless your job is in Tooele it makes no sense. Even then, I'd probably prefer to live in SLV and commute to Tooele so that when I have free time I'm not stuck in Tooele.

I could tell you your response isn't helpful, but I totally get where you're coming from-- that area is definitely not for everyone... or even for most. Keep in mind, I grew up on a farm in a very small town. To me, Salt Lake is becoming crowded, and my drive to work every morning on I-15 takes as long as it would from Lake Point/Erda along I-80, despite a negligible difference in mileage. My personal taste is to live somewhere quiet and less hectic, where I can get a lot of house and land for relatively little, and still have easy access not just to my job, but to entertainment and other amenities in Salt Lake as well.

Anyway... Just looking for friendly advice. If there's none to be had, it's all good...

Every time I drive to Tooele, which admittedly is not often, I realize how much farther it is from SLC than I think it is. Its like a good 15 min off of the exit which is a good 30 min from SLC. Its too far away from SLC to commute to imo.

I have family in Stansburry Park and Tooele. They like it there. Several of them commute to SLC on an express bus. They say it works well. They get a surprising amount of snow. Sometimes they get clobbered by storms that hardly impact my neighborhood on the east bench.

I definitely understand your comment about preferring a rural environment. For me Tooele has never felt like a place I'd want to call home, though. If I decided to live in a rural area while working on the Wasatch Front I prefer Summit or Wasatch county to Tooele. I haven't looked at prices though, and I'm guessing the sticker shock might make Tooele look more appealing than I'm imagining it to be right now.

In my job, though, I could easily relocate to a very rural county where the prices would be even lower than Tooele. I'd seriously consider little towns like Torry, Spring City or Paradise.

Every time I drive to Tooele, which admittedly is not often, I realize how much farther it is from SLC than I think it is. Its like a good 15 min off of the exit which is a good 30 min from SLC. Its too far away from SLC to commute to imo.

I can't argue that-- Tooele is definitely a ways off the beaten path, and the last town I'd consider in that area. But the exit off I-80 itself is only about 15-20 minutes from SLC. And Lake Point, Erda and Stansbury are practically within throwing distance of I-80. I actually timed the drive from one of the developments in Lake Point, and it takes me no longer to get to where I work from there than from my current home in Sandy.

I have family in Stansburry Park and Tooele. They like it there. Several of them commute to SLC on an express bus. They say it works well. They get a surprising amount of snow. Sometimes they get clobbered by storms that hardly impact my neighborhood on the east bench.

I definitely understand your comment about preferring a rural environment. For me Tooele has never felt like a place I'd want to call home, though. If I decided to live in a rural area while working on the Wasatch Front I prefer Summit or Wasatch county to Tooele. I haven't looked at prices though, and I'm guessing the sticker shock might make Tooele look more appealing than I'm imagining it to be right now.

In my job, though, I could easily relocate to a very rural county where the prices would be even lower than Tooele. I'd seriously consider little towns like Torry, Spring City or Paradise.

I don't quite have that level of flexibility, or I'd probably head straight to Midway-- I love it up there. Good for you, man. What's stopping you?

That area is super-affordable. One new development I've seen going in is on 1-acre minimum lots, 3,000-ish sqft unfinished, selling at mid/high $300k's. I'm not keen on going with some developer's boilerplate model, but it at least gives me an idea of what I can do on my own.

I don't quite have that level of flexibility, or I'd probably head straight to Midway-- I love it up there. Good for you, man. What's stopping you?

That area is super-affordable. One new development I've seen going in is on 1-acre minimum lots, 3,000-ish sqft unfinished, selling at mid/high $300k's. I'm not keen on going with some developer's boilerplate model, but it at least gives me an idea of what I can do on my own.
Yeah, Midway is nice. What's stopping me is that I still have kids in school in SLC, but once they graduate there's a very good chance I'll move.

My wife's sister just moved out there a couple months ago. They both commute to Salt Lake and both of their families live in that area. They don't know anybody out there. They've said they regret it, wouldn't do it again, and want to sell their house and move back.

This

Yeah, Midway is nice. What's stopping me is that I still have kids in school in SLC, but once they graduate there's a very good chance I'll move.
I love midway.
When you move there we should be roommates

I think I was being helpful. The people I knew who lived there and commuted hated their commutes. Plus you could never get them to do anything on their off days because they didn't want to drive that far.

If you want to be in a rural area there are far better options that Tooele. If you don't find that helpful I'm sorry. I think Tooele is a **** hole.

That's pretty damn sexist. I've got no problem with him being a bikini model. If he's doing what makes him happy, then I'm happy for him.
I've got no problem with him being a bikini model either... provided that he's not my roomate.

I think I was being helpful. The people I knew who lived there and commuted hated their commutes. Plus you could never get them to do anything on their off days because they didn't want to drive that far.

If you want to be in a rural area there are far better options that Tooele. If you don't find that helpful I'm sorry. I think Tooele is a **** hole.

I guess I didn't get that from your first response. Nothing personal-- I appreciate your comments. Thanks!

My wife's sister just moved out there a couple months ago. They both commute to Salt Lake and both of their families live in that area. They don't know anybody out there. They've said they regret it, wouldn't do it again, and want to sell their house and move back.

This is my main concern, actually-- not knowing anybody out there, and no one wanting to come visit us because it's so isolated from Salt Lake. Are they in Tooele itself, or one of the surrounding communities? Do they have kids? What part of Salt Lake do they commute back to for work?