What's new

Locke: Jefferson v. Boozer

Instead he's hanging in Utah gettting second helpings of funeral potatoes and green jello.

And as long as I'm steroetyping...
Hope my comment didn't offend. Southern food is ****ing yummy, and I think just about anyone would have trouble staying thin with it constantly beckoning.

Boozer is opening his mouth again.... this time he's indirectly taking a shot at Deron.

Chicago Bulls power forward Carlos Boozer has lofty expectations for his new team this season.

"A championship," he told ESPNChicago.com on Wednesday night after a Nike House of Hoops event. "I think a realistic goal for us is a championship. I think anything shorter than that we're setting ourselves up to be shorter than what we can reach. I think [we have] potential to be a championship-level team."

One of the reasons Boozer feels so confident is due to the fact that he gets to play with the Bulls' 21-year-old All-Star point guard, Derrick Rose.

I think the fact that Jefferson likes to bang down low is a very good thing. That is exactly what we needed from boozer against the lakers, but instead he settled for fade away jumpers. Al playing inside the majority of his posessions will complement millsap well and open things up for our shooters. Boozer is what he is, but I think Jefferson has not reached his potential. I'm really hoping for a career year from him.

It's a little annoying that the old board crashed because I seem to remember everyone ripping Jefferson over the last couple years, not just due to his injury history, but also because of his lack of passing and lack of diversity in his game. Now, since he's on the Jazz, we embrace him like he's the best thing since sliced bread every chance we get. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer but the hypocrisy cracks me up. I'm not sure I've seen one person come out and say, "Jesus, Boozer's way better than him. He can get up and down the court. He's a much better passer. He has a better hi-low game." Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

I predict people calling for AJ's head either due to an injury, awful defense, his struggle to get up and down the court, or an ability to fit well into the flow of our system by mid to late December. Then, he'll pick things up a bit, people will be kneeling to their savior about a month and a half or two months later, and by the time we then exit the playoffs in five to the Lakers in the second round, 73% of us will once again turn on the man (probably myself included--does that make me a hypocrite too?), pointing out every flaw in his game, how they're a major problem when it comes to the Lakers, and then finishing off with how we need to strongly pursue Marc Gasol because he's the missing piece and we need to move Jefferson back to the 4.

I feel like I was the only one that went out and said that Jefferson was a crap player and a loser when this all went down. And for the record, he HAS been a crap player and a loser. My hope is that at 25 and being in a much different situation all of a sudden will teach this guy how he's supposed to play.

I'm also a person that believes that with versatility brings strength. I loved Boozer's game (outside of his D) and I can't think of a player in the league that would fill the role asked of a 4 for the Utah Jazz better than Boozer (outside of D). My hope is that Jefferson's strengths are so strong they overpower his obvious, existing weaknesses or that he grows out of them.

Players in the league by and large stay the same after year 3, and if that's the case, the Jazz got ****ed. But I'm hopeful because I can't do anything else.

I'm not really worried about Jefferson being better then Boozer since Jefferson has been one of my top 3 favorite players ever since he got traded for KG. Anyone who actually watched the T-Wolves consistantly in 08-09 on league pass know that it's retarded to call him a " crap player".

My main concern is weather or not he can stay healthy, Because I'm 100% confident in what he's gonna be able to do on this team.

I feel like I was the only one that went out and said that Jefferson was a crap player and a loser when this all went down. And for the record, he HAS been a crap player and a loser. My hope is that at 25 and being in a much different situation all of a sudden will teach this guy how he's supposed to play.

I'm also a person that believes that with versatility brings strength. I loved Boozer's game (outside of his D) and I can't think of a player in the league that would fill the role asked of a 4 for the Utah Jazz better than Boozer (outside of D). My hope is that Jefferson's strengths are so strong they overpower his obvious, existing weaknesses or that he grows out of them.

Players in the league by and large stay the same after year 3, and if that's the case, the Jazz got ****ed. But I'm hopeful because I can't do anything else.
If 17 & 9 (and 23 & 11 the previous year) = "a crap player and a loser," then you're being awfully harsh. (Calling Kevin McHale a crap general manager and the Timberfumbles team a loser is more in the ballpark.)

Using Boozer as a sign of versatility + putting in the caveat "outside of D" = LOL.
(So except for half the time, he's really good.)

Jefferson is 25 years old. Research is mixed about the actual peak age of players.
https://www.basketballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=399

Repeating Big Al's 2008-2009 performance (besides the injury) would be a good place to start. And I do believe that AJ's Jazz teammates--and possibly even the coach--will make him better.

I'm pretty sure not being double/triple teamed on ever possesion, Playing with a hall of fame coach and an elite point guard is gonna do wonders for Jefferson

The question is how well DWill and him will work together. If Al Jefferson is totally healthy next year he would normally return to his 23 and 11 form, does DWill increase that to 26 and 11? That is the most productive power forward in the league. To show you how talented of a scorer Jefferson is, he was only assisted on 45% of his points where Boozer required a 74% assist rate to get his points. It makes a scary amount of sense that DWill will bridge that massive disparity and knew what he was talking about when promising him his first all star appearance.

That's exactly the thing, though. Why is it being perceived solely as a weakness to know the system, know when to make cuts, know how to set screens and picks and when to move, when to flare, and when having another teammate open be able to hit them for a higher percentage shot? To me, the notion of being able to give a big the ball and then expect him to score AND be a winning team is mostly antiquated and silly (name one guy in the NBA today that plays that way and wins a lot... Tim Duncan?), but that's Jefferson's game. For better or for worse, his game has been predicated on isolations and bulling his way to the hoop and not passing the ball. Yeah, maybe he hasn't had great guard play, yeah, maybe there weren't a lot of great options to pass to, but to me that is all crap. Especially the "no one to pass to" argument. If the '03-'04 Jazz can be a .500 team with a bunch of scrubs and a couple of overachievers, then Jefferson certainly had teammates. But passing, creating folds in his teams' offense, and expanding the options for his teammates is simply not what Jefferson has done. The guy's been a loser and at some point the excuses have to stop.

I'm glad that KOC addressed that point immediately and I'm glad that Jefferson also seems aware of his shortcomings (at least the defensive one [which is massive]). Whatever context you want to put it in, Boozer's been a national champion and been on winning teams for most of his professional career. Jefferson's scored a bunch of points on bad teams for his career. Hopefully the Utah Jazz context jives with what Jefferson BECOMES, because what he's done on his other teams would cause A LOT of offensive problems for the TEAM, even if he gets his. No one on a basketball team is exempt from criticism when they don't make their teammates better. That's what set Malone apart from other bigs, his decision-making and his unquenchable desire to improve and be absolutely the best player he could be (not really comparing Malone to Jefferson, rather showing the difference in getting your stats and how doing everything possible to win matters so much more).

I'm hoping he changes. And I'll be patient. But the guy hasn't played winning basketball or basketball the way the Jazz play (not a coincidence).

Last edited:
One last thing, if a player with Jefferson's attributes learns to approach the game the right way and grasps the concepts well, in addition to staying healthy, he is a potential MVP candidate. That seems within reach, although it is a bit of a reach at this stage. This is what I'm hoping for (of course), and while you all know this and I'm preaching to the choir, I'm just making it clear I understand the upside and am trying to focus on that.