What's new

Locker room trouble?

I'm actually shocked it's taken this long for a locker room blow up to happen. Has Corbin had a blowup every year he has been coach now? Bell, the Millsap, now this? Ha ha. Turrible coach. Just turrible.

Yea because Sloan never had blow-ups on his team. This guy sounds like he is just making something up because he has to write a story. I am sure there are frustrations when you are getting beat every night but ultimately everyone shares some of the blame even though the coach is usually the one to go. I am not pro-Ty nor anti-Ty but I won't miss the constant whining about how horrible the guy is. I think he has been as professional as any coach has been, he has been put in a difficult position and received way too much criticism. I think he is overmatched for the job and should be an assistant and not a head coach though. I wish him the best because he seems like a nice enough person.

So Green I guess I can take from your comments that you don't like Corbin very much as a coach? Right?

Yea because Sloan never had blows on his team. This guy sounds like he is just making something up because he has to write a story. I am sure there are frustrations when you are getting beat every night but ultimately everyone shares some of the blame even though the coach is usually the one to go. I am not pro-Ty nor anti-Ty but I won't miss the constant whining about how horrible the guy is. I think he has been as professional as any coach has been, he has been put in a difficult position and receive way too much criticism. I think he is overmatched for the job and should be an assistant and not a head coach though. I wish him the best because he seems like a nice enough person.

I wish him the best as well. He is definitely not the worst coach to ever coach. He is about the lower end of middle of the pack right now, and will probably be a really good coach one day. I just don't see the value in trying to develop him at the very same time we are trying to develop our players. You never know who to blame, the coach or the player. Often times the argument is both of them because they are both inexperienced. Since we can't assemble a team from free agency, it is Corbin who has to go so we can properly develop and analyze our guys as objectively as possible.

Hornacek is an aberration, not the norm. It probably didn't hurt Hornacek that his father was a coach, and that he himself wasn't an elite athlete, making it a necessity that he master the fundamentals and come up with some tricks of his own. Definitely not the normal young coach.

Last edited:
o-COCAINE-facebook.jpg

Hornacek is an elaboration, not the norm. It probably didn't hurt Hornacek that his father was a coach, and that he himself wasn't an elite athlete, making it a necessity that he master the fundamentals and come up with some tricks of his own. Definitely not the normal young coach.
I agree with this...and it also makes me think that Stockton could be a good coach as well. Hornacek and Stockton are both very similar in that they both weren't very athletic but were always smarter than their opponents and figured out ways to gain an advantage over their opponents despite being at a physical disadvantage.

I stand corrected. I remember many times where we lost games because of the bench, but according to the stats the bench is average. It is the starters that lose the games for us. It has as much to do with their offense as it does their defense.

It might be the right move to hire a different coach.
Don't be surprised though when it looks different, but the results are much the same.
A new system for players that can't/wont run the current system may end up in the same spot.

I do agree with this. I don't think we are much better next year. This draft is full of potential...but the only player that can come in and lift a franchise immediately is probably Parker. Everyone else will be amazing...in a couple of years.

I agree with this...and it also makes me think that Stockton could be a good coach as well. Hornacek and Stockton are both very similar in that they both weren't very athletic but were always smarter than their opponents and figured out ways to gain an advantage over their opponents despite being at a physical disadvantage.

Stockton would be epic. I think that's like every Jazz fan's wet dream.

BTW, I just noticed my post said elaboration instead of aberration. Woops.

If we get Wiggins or Exum or Embiid, I don't think we get much better next year. I think we are like the Thunder. We lose a lot again next year, then the year after we take a big step forward. I think Parker is the only guy that really lifts us in the win column. I'm just not sure I want Parker...ha ha.

If we get Wiggins or Exum or Embiid, I don't think we get much better next year. I think we are like the Thunder. We lose a lot again next year, then the year after we take a big step forward. I think Parker is the only guy that really lifts us in the win column. I'm just not sure I want Parker...ha ha.

I don't even think Parker does because of where we are defensively.

bad defensive players that will likely return/debut (at this stage of their career):
Burke
Kanter
Burks
Evans (when played against PF's)
Marvin (when played against PF's)
Neto

Mediocre defensive players:
Favors (yes. it's true.)
Hayward (doesn't rotate quick enough to help the helper, if at all)>

You add Parker's defensive holes to that team, and we are probably just as bad next year. Defense cancels out offense.

I want Parker but only in this order:

Wiggins
Parker
Exum
Embiid

Sent from the JazzFanz app

I don't even think Parker does because of where we are defensively.

bad defensive players that will likely return/debut (at this stage of their career):
Burke
Kanter
Burks
Evans (when played against PF's)
Marvin (when played against PF's)
Neto

Mediocre defensive players:
Favors (yes. it's true.)
Hayward (doesn't rotate quick enough to help the helper, if at all)>

You add Parker's defensive holes to that team, and we are probably just as bad next year. Defense cancels out offense.

I truly believe with a new coach we can be 10x better defensively.

I agree that we'd be better, but it would still probably take half a season to unlearn the bad habits we formed.

Isn't most of defensive ability just effort and trusting your teammates? I think with a good coach that has a system the players trust, we could get better defensively really fast.

Isn't most of defensive ability just effort and trusting your teammates? I think with a good coach that has a system the players trust, we could get better defensively really fast.

At the high school level? Yes. At the NBA level? No. The good NBA teams can hide the defensively deficient if they have some stellar defenders (bulls hide boozer with noah, etc.). Good defenders at the NBA level are a step quicker than the offensive threat, with a strong and long frame, quick and responsive knees, great lateral quickness, a jump in their step, a large wingspan/ standing reach, and loose hips that allow them to dip or turn on a dime. As for god-given ability to defend, Jabari only has a large frame and wingspan--like Kanter. Sure, Jabari can become a better defender than he is now with learning his spots, knowing and trusting his team, and applying effort, but he'll never be able to fake the body he doesn't have, and neither will Kanter.

Drafting Parker makes our starting line:

Burke --incredibly weak defender
Hayward --good size and quickness, but can still get burned by those w/ quick first step. Doesn't help the helper.
Parker -- slow to react. doesn't have the ability to contain anyone, which means Melo, Durant, LebRon, etc. will light us up.
Kanter-- see Jabari. Has gotten a lot better at knowing when to rotate, and isn't taking possessions off, but has the kind of slowness that is blood in the water for faster players, and is constantly exposed because NO ONE on our team helps the helper (the guy who rotates to the leak, which is often Kanter so Favors can protect the rim).
Favors-- is really just an above average defender at this point. He has great length, and body for defense, but is still allowing just 1 point less than Kanter is per 10 games.

If we draft Jabari, we will need to bench Trey and possibly Kanter, or trade for better defenders so there is some kind of balance on the team. I don't think most people realize how god awful of a defender Trey Burke is. He is where most of the leaks occur from. Kid makes Al Jefferson look like DPOY, but people don't comment on it because it's not always at the rim, so it's less noticeable.

Last edited: