What's new

Lockout!!!

You realize that these mechanisms already existed in the last CBA, right?

Restricted free agency
longer contracts for free agents signing with their current teams
larger yearly raises for players signing with their current teams
Base Year Compensation
Trade restrictions

and on and on...

I knew that the contracts could be a little higher by staying with your current team, I didn't know that you could sign a longer deal as well. Restricted free agency and trade restrictions are negotiated while putting the contract together, so they are certainly not part of every player's contract. Either way, players can get around these restrictions with things like sign-and-trade, which I think should be banished.

My point is that if the current restraints for players to move isn't limiting elite player movement, then the incentives for players to stay needs to increase.

I like the idea of compensetory picks, but how do you decide how much a guy is worth? And is it fair that Cleveland loses Lebron for the 27th pick?

I wonder if it would help getting rid of the maximum salary but keeping the salary cap? Would LeBron have stayed in Clevland if the Cavs could pay him 40 million per year?

I think a franchise contract provision would be in order. You can have one current franchise contract, for the maximum with maximum raises (maybe even extra years and extra-large raises). It counts as your only franchise contract for its duration.

I think a franchise contract provision would be in order. You can have one current franchise contract, for the maximum with maximum raises (maybe even extra years and extra-large raises). It counts as your only franchise contract for its duration.

Some variation of this would be a good thing, imo.

It speaks volumes that with all of this beating of war drums of owners and their subsequent leverage that this has never really been on the table. To me, this is the single-biggest issue that needed to be fixed and it's not going to happen.

Players should be able to choose where they want to play. At the same time, a franchise should be protected from losing all of it's practical value (Cavs). To me, this is the only way to be fair.

The NBA has a brand. The individual teams are the franchises. Much like Burger King or McDonalds has a brand, and many individual owners have franchises. Yes, it is illegal for owners of different franchises to set up a common salary structure. For example, the Burger King at the Dayton Mall, the one in west Carrollton (just over a mile north), and the one in Miamisburg (just over a mile west) can't jointly agree that the pay of shft managers will range from X to Y. If they do, they can be sued. There are many steps corporate brands can take to ensure the brand reputation (for example, dress codes and drug policies). Pay rates are not among them. The only way for even the lusxury tax to be legal is for it to be negotiated with the players acting as a whole.

I'm not an attorney or familiar with franchise law, but the NBA is itself a franchise that the teams have to buy into, and they have the right to set standards for their franchisees. You can't compare them to Burger King, as Burger Kings don't compete with one another for talent, tv exposure, draft rights, and compensation from one another for trades.

I knew that the contracts could be a little higher by staying with your current team, I didn't know that you could sign a longer deal as well. Restricted free agency and trade restrictions are negotiated while putting the contract together, so they are certainly not part of every player's contract.
Restricted free agency is a matter of years of service and there are many trade restrictions that affect all players (salaries have to be matched within a certain range, for example. Also, for many players, base year compensation makes the probability of them being traded pretty close to zero).
My point is that if the current restraints for players to move isn't limiting elite player movement, then the incentives for players to stay needs to increase.
The current restraints are limiting elite player movement.

I'm not an attorney or familiar with franchise law, but the NBA is itself a franchise that the teams have to buy into, and they have the right to set standards for their franchisees.

I specifically me3ntioned that the NBA can set standards. Pay levels are not among the standards that can be set unilaterally.

You can't compare them to Burger King, as Burger Kings don't compete with one another for talent, tv exposure, draft rights, and compensation from one another for trades.

If you can hire the top-notch shift manager from the franchise down the road by making them an assistant manager, you do it. Burger King franchisees definately compete for talent and compensation.

Too bad our CBA negotiations couldn't have went as smooth as baseball:

https://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7270203/baseball-new-labor-deal-truly-historic-one

Not that I want labor agreements to resemble that of MLB, but it's great to see that both sides came together to improve the sport, which was their #1 priority. Expanded playoffs, draft slotting, better management of revenue sharing, expanded replays, concussion-proof helmets, and BLOOD TESTING FOR HGH.

Home-run for baseball. If only NBA players and owners could do this good of a job!

Too bad our CBA negotiations couldn't have went as smooth as baseball:

https://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7270203/baseball-new-labor-deal-truly-historic-one

Not that I want labor agreements to resemble that of MLB, but it's great to see that both sides came together to improve the sport, which was their #1 priority. Expanded playoffs, draft slotting, better management of revenue sharing, expanded replays, concussion-proof helmets, and BLOOD TESTING FOR HGH.

Home-run for baseball. If only NBA players and owners could do this good of a job!

It's pretty hilarious that the MLB has become the poster boy of professional sports for smooth CBA's. I know there is no cap and that goes a long way in making the players happy. Keep in mind though, they are limiting spending on the draft and also were able to get blood testing.

It's pretty hilarious that the MLB has become the poster boy of professional sports for smooth CBA's. I know there is no cap and that goes a long way in making the players happy. Keep in mind though, they are limiting spending on the draft and also were able to get blood testing.

Both good things, and both benefit the majority of players as well. HGH testing was encouraged by the players to create a level playing field. This is SOOOO good for MLB it's ridiculous that any players would oppose it. While they are capping $ going towards young top draft picks, it should only affect a few of the top Scott Boras clients who are making too much anyways. It will help spread the money to proven veteran players.

To hell with baseball. It's the easiest to negotiate. The small teams are basically farm teams for the Yankees and Red Sox and everyone accepts this and embraces it.

To hell with baseball. It's the easiest to negotiate. The small teams are basically farm teams for the Yankees and Red Sox and everyone accepts this and embraces it.

I disagree. Even the Yankees and Red Sox don't always make wise moves and or get their guy. 2010 being a prime example when Seattle traded in their division to the Rangers who went on to the WS. I already miss baseball.