What's new

Looking for a tactic

jerick

(I know this matter has little to do with utah jazz but since most jazz fans mainly read this community so wanna bother you guys)
I'm a jazz fan in China and our class team is gonna play in the school tournamemt in two weeks.I'm lookin' for tactics we could use
We don't have lots of time to train,and our core players are a center and a point guard who seldom passes(he's got 3 pointers).Our previous offense was based on 3pt shots and layups .Our players Barely played two or three full-court games together,and it was literally kinda messy.Can any of u guys help come up with a simple tactic or two which we can pick up quickly?Thx a lot

(ps:we were especially bothered when 3 pointers don'tfall,and last game our turnovers and opponents' fast break killed us.So i wonder should we use 1 on 1 D or zone D like the Jazz)

Last edited:
(I know this matter has little to do with utah jazz but since most jazz fans mainly read this community so wanna bother you guys)
I'm a jazz fan in China and our class team is gonna play in the school tournamemt in two weeks.I'm lookin' for tactics we could use
We don't have lots of time to train,and our core players are a center and a point guard who seldom passes(he's got 3 pointers).Our previous offense was based on 3pt shots and layups .Our players Barely played two or three full-court games together,and it was literally kinda messy.Can any of u guys help come up with a simple tactic or two which we can pick up quickly?Thx a lot

(ps:we were especially bothered when 3 pointers don'tfall,and last game our turnovers and opponents' fast break killed us.So i wonder should we use 1 on 1 D or zone D like the Jazz)
For defense just play man. Any zone, even box-and-1 requires rotations and communications which is hard to get working with such short notice.

Just make sure your center stays near the paint and drops on screens and doesnt switch. Chase or switch for others, just make sure you are all doing the same thing. If you agree to switch all, then the center needs to yell something like "drop/chase" if its his guy who sets the screen (so the primary defender knows not to switch).

On offense its trickier as you need to not just repeat the same thing and it depends on guys skills. If they switch on screens then I would just hunt mismatches and iso/pindown all day.

One fairly simple option for tactical play is occasionally posting up your best passer around the elbow and running handoffs, wing screens or backdoor cuts. Thats usually rather simple and its harder to defend those actions if the hub is at the elbow.

To add variance, have your PG run high PnR and only drive when they chase and shoot whenever they go under or switch. If they start sending help then he needs to start kicking out. There the key is that your PG needs to signal the screen and you need to agree on how. Cant be random as that gets really messy real fast, and you need those who arent in the action to space (so stay far enough away from the action, and be ready to shoot or crash the glass).

Thanks really much!We’ll try to implement this in our training tomorrow
Btw:I’ve got a question please,our PG and center all wants to play zone,so would a 2-3zone defense be possible.

Thanks really much!We’ll try to implement this in our training tomorrow
Btw:I’ve got a question please,our PG and center all wants to play zone,so would a 2-3zone defense be possible.
If you can agree and work on communications on this short of a notice. In zone, rotations are the key so whenever opponents move around your guys need to call switches before they drop their guy, to make sure someone picks him up.

Also if they overload one side then you need to make sure the 1on2 defender gets help as otherwise those 2 will just space for each and one or both will be permanently open.

Or if the opponent sucks at 3 point shooting the just collapse your defense and post everyone at the edges of the paint.

If they have 1 good player, you might as well play box-and-1 in that case.

Gotcha!thanks again we’ll work on communication(we were kinda silent on court previously)and do research about our opponents before deciding which kind of d we play

At the lowest levels of basketball, a rudimentary zone is probably the best defense. It isn't all that difficult if people pay attention. You can go box and 1 if the other team has a particularly troublesome player. I'm assuming the other team isn't full of 3 point snipers.

On offense run screens and handoffs. For some reason there is a large percentage of rec-level basketball players that view a screen as witchcraft and will leave the ball handler all alone. If they ever get wise, they will likely overreact and you just dump it to the screener.

Once players get a few years of coaching it gets more difficult, but at the intramural level, those two things will get you pretty far.

The easiest two points is to put a big a step or two out of the lane near the baseline. Have a cutter a little further out. Give the big the ball. If the bigs defender sucks up to them with contact, run a cutter between the big and the baseline which will screen the cutters defender and should give the cutter an easy layup on a hand off. Run that till they stop it.

Once they adjust to have the defender beat the cutter to the spot, the cutter can fade back to the corner for an uncontested corner 3 if they can hit that shot.

The other option is to have the big defender play looser without contact. Which means the cutter can pass back to the big when the rim defender tries to stop the drive to the hole. Or the big can just hit the open 8 to 10 footer. Eventually the cutters defender would defend the post player, but that takes coaching. Generally the cutter's defender is going to ball watch at the lower level

The Jordan Rules. Identify the other team's best player and then lay maximum lumber on him/her. USE EVERY SINGLE FOUL POSSIBLE. Go get that chip, buddy, and send pics of you raising that banner to the rafters.
Yessir!
I’ll try my best and when our Jerseys arrives I’ll send a picture of it(my classmates chose the purple&white jazz jerseys )

At the lowest levels of basketball, a rudimentary zone is probably the best defense. It isn't all that difficult if people pay attention. You can go box and 1 if the other team has a particularly troublesome player. I'm assuming the other team isn't full of 3 point snipers.

On offense run screens and handoffs. For some reason there is a large percentage of rec-level basketball players that view a screen as witchcraft and will leave the ball handler all alone. If they ever get wise, they will likely overreact and you just dump it to the screener.

Once players get a few years of coaching it gets more difficult, but at the intramural level, those two things will get you pretty far.
This put your best point of attack defender at the top and put your big in the middle. Have the better perimeter guy pickup the player bringing the ball up. A simple trap on made baskets can drive teams crazy but requires coordination or one great defender.

On out of bounds plays under your own hoop you should get layup attempts by having guys make cuts from the three point line to the side of the rim… which should be empty when they get there. It’s dumb but I used to manufacture 10 points a night with this at the grade school level and it still works in men’s rec league lol.

If the other team runs a zone you drive and kick out or make three or four perimeter passes. In ball screens aren’t gonna have much place to go so you spread guys out. Get into the middle and kick the ball out and around the perimeter. Also especially if the other team is in a zone offensive rebounds are your friend. Just keep one kid up top to watch the fast breaks.

This put your best point of attack defender at the top and put your big in the middle. Have the better perimeter guy pickup the player bringing the ball up. A simple trap on made baskets can drive teams crazy but requires coordination or one great defender.

On out of bounds plays under your own hoop you should get layup attempts by having guys make cuts from the three point line to the side of the rim… which should be empty when they get there. It’s dumb but I used to manufacture 10 points a night with this at the grade school level and it still works in men’s rec league lol.
thanks for the defensive advice!
Pl: could you please elaborate on the cutting strategy cuz we felt really difficult getting loose previously thx

You didn't specify the age but the younger the more completely blown up they are by defensive presses. You'll need 4 good players to run it right. 221 zone press look that up.

Our high school team was definitely short in height but we won a lot of games by perfecting the 2-1-2 zone. We ran the UNC offense which was simple and worked well enough. We also had a really good press defense - I recommend trying out a press defense - especially against crap teams.

We won our tournament opener 23-14!Our pg made three or four big-time threes in face of defenders omg
If we win the next game we get to secure a spot in the quarterfinals
We’ll do our best!(ps:does anyone know how I could upload some highlights in my album to this website plz)

Attachments

• IMG_2161.jpeg
    IMG_2161.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2159.png
    IMG_2159.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 17
We won our tournament opener 23-14!Our pg made three or four big-time threes in face of defenders omg
We’ll do our best!(ps:does anyone know how I could upload some highlights in my album to this website plz)
Congrats! And this web site doesn't really host video or picture albums, per se. You need to host them on Facebook or elsewhere then just post them here.

How many minutes are yall playing?