What's new

Looking for name ideas - exhausted

Yeah, that's where I want to go on vacation. :rolleyes:

I'll admit it - I had to Google the word.
I don't know what it means. I just saw it in naos post earlier in this thread lol

'Edge' is good, but I can guarantee 'Desert Edge' has been overused. And it's a bit too 'extreme sports' for my taste. You're on the rim of the Great Basin, so 'Rim' should be in consideration. I agree with you and others RE: avoiding "lodge", "resort", etc.

(cue rim job jokes)

'Edge' is good, but I can guarantee 'Desert Edge' has been overused. And it's a bit too 'extreme sports' for my taste. You're on the rim of the Great Basin, so 'Rim' should be in consideration. I agree with you and others RE: avoiding "lodge", "resort", etc.

(cue rim job jokes)

I agree but I think he is going for that 'extreme sports' thing.

Maybe he should sell the naming rights to Maverick?

But he also wants the top end of a maturing market; and that top end likes to imagine that they do their extreme sports in less mediated and trafficked places. Unless I'm mistaken, this is definitely/literally a classed up establishment.

I'm hurt that you didn't send me a special invitation to your discussion, but I'll drop the bomb anyway.

The name is Utopia. In marketing you play off the word Utah. Don't include lodge or resort or any of that other ****. This place is too good for that. Welcome to Utopia.

You're welcome.

For what it's worth, "Utopia" has pretty horrible connotations in Utah County (Orem, anyway), due to the optical fiber thing that was a fiasco at first.
https://www.google.com/search?q=utopia+utah

Meanest, cheapness, tightwad

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

or: economy in the use of means to an end; especially : economy of explanation in conformity with Occam's razor

which is definitely what I meant

But he also wants the top end of a maturing market; and that top end likes to imagine that they do their extreme sports in less mediated and trafficked places. Unless I'm mistaken, this is definitely/literally a classed up establishment.

I agree-- "the Edge" sounds like the name of an outdoor paintball course that you'd have there. Not a fan.

I'd say go for a two-word name, the second word referring to the landscape, and the first word referring to the history or significance of the location. Like maybe if there used to be an indigenous tribe that lived there, you could name it after them? Like if it was in the Navajo nation, you could have a name like Navajo hills (not sure if the Navajo nation would find that problematic).

Did any of that make sense? The **** if I know. I'm awful at this stuff.

I don't know what it means. I just saw it in naos post earlier in this thread lol

it's one of my fav words, u should use it more (parsimonious is its adjective form). Think of like the action of always trimming off the fat.

Or, think of it this way-- babe doesn't try to be parsimonious with the posts that he makes :)

For what it's worth, "Utopia" has pretty horrible connotations in Utah County (Orem, anyway), due to the optical fiber thing that was a fiasco at first.
https://www.google.com/search?q=utopia+utah
If I had suggested Enron I could see your point. If someone built a resort deserving of this name hardly anybody would ever care that some people in Orem didn't like their internet service.

FWIW, I think Enron would be a horrible choice.

I agree-- "the Edge" sounds like the name of an outdoor paintball course that you'd have there. Not a fan.

I'd say go for a two-word name, the second word referring to the landscape, and the first word referring to the history or significance of the location. Like maybe if there used to be an indigenous tribe that lived there, you could name it after them? Like if it was in the Navajo nation, you could have a name like Navajo hills (not sure if the Navajo nation would find that problematic).

Did any of that make sense? The **** if I know. I'm awful at this stuff.
*confirmed*

I suck at marketing but I've always thought about how board rooms must be filled with a lot of discussion just joking around about naming these places. So here's thinking out loud:

The Grands at Gateway? Your entrance to the grand national parks...

A native tinge would be cool too as there's a lot of history in the area. The Fremonts?

Something to do with a specific hike in Zion's or a landmark?

Sounds like you're by the Beaver Dam wash, or are you near the Black Rock exit?

??? is there any private property accessible from the little rocky jeep road going north off exit around mp 15?

you might be on a rare earths deposit, man.

Begin from the Jacob Hamblin home in Santa Clara. Across the river from there, via Gates Ln bridge... I purchased everything from Gates Ln and Santa Clara Drive all the way back, through and across the river, and up to on top of the high plateau to the Bear Claw Poppy Preserve. So you're immediately out the back door to the open lands, but can walk from front door to the restaurants and shops on Santa Clara Dr.

The problem with that area is, by the time you drive across the Mohave, or land in Vegas and drive past APEX nd the Mormon Mesa, you might really be thinking of big pine trees and a cool glacier-fed creek, and just go on up to Kolob.

I think you're thinking like a long-term resident. My clients are a) those from northern Utah looking for a weekend getaway out of the cold and smog, and b) people from all over the world visiting southern Utah's parks. They won't be bothered by a 90 minute drive across the desert from Vegas.

(cue rim job jokes)

I am going for both. They will be marketed to different demographics and though the two properties are in very close proximity and will be operated under one set of books, they do not necessarily 'communicate' to one another. I think I can have two very diverse personas within one operation. One is extreme and dirty, the other is more laid back and spa like. Millennials and boomers... and they will cross over from one resort to the other, of course.

I suck at marketing but I've always thought about how board rooms must be filled with a lot of discussion just joking around about naming these places. So here's thinking out loud:

The Grands at Gateway? Your entrance to the grand national parks...

A native tinge would be cool too as there's a lot of history in the area. The Fremonts?

Something to do with a specific hike in Zion's or a landmark?

I love the word Gateway for this project, a lot, and have played with it... just can't find the right combo of words.

Many thanks to all... and there will DEFINITELY be an all-expenses paid Jazzfanz get together around grand opening time.