What's new

Lowe: What's real and what's not for the shocking Utah Jazz

Don't look now, but Gobert-Favors-Ingles-Mitchell-Rubio are the top 5-man unit in minutes played this season and are +12 together.

Gobert-Favors-Ingles-O'Neale-Mitchell have only played 31 minutes together but are +20

Sub in Rodney Hood for Mitchell in that first group and that group was -16 in 115 minutes, the third most used lineup this year.

Favors and Gobert can work together offensively. They are murdering defensively at the rim lately too.

I mean the point is they have been surrounded by a wide range of players and have been a positive duo together. There is an absolute tradeoff with a stretch 4 (which I mean having a stretch 4 and still having Favors is obviously the idea). The defense will almost certainly not be "reaching a new level" as any stretch 4 that can provide great defense are few and far between. As far as I'm concerned, reaching a new level for this team is basically just acquiring another star, not changing our front court because that is clearly not the problem.

Sure price determines everything, but I don't really see it as a long shot at all.

Rather than assuming the pair works regardless, a positive overall plus-minus should make us inquire which combinations of players with those two works best. And even then, +/- stats can be deceiving. I think is fair to say they need good shooting and playmaking around them.

I agree that having a stretch 4 while keeping Favors is ideal. But that's when the money crunch/roles become a problem and therefore an unlikely scenario IMO. Also agree that the key is finding another star. But ideally it would happen at a position of need, such as PF if Favors leaves.

Jerebko and Crowder are the stretch 4s you're describing. The different looks they provide keep opponents on their heels. The Jazz are world beaters right now. Favors is a huge part of that. Let's stop pissing him off by including him as gone / trade bait, and let him know we know how important he is. :)

Major fail: The so called "Nashing" was mastered by this guy....

HideousWildAmericancurl-max-1mb.gif

who would drive baseline just to get the defenders heads turned. Sometimes he just dribbled all the way through. But if the defense looked away from Karl, the play ended in a dunk. If they looked away from John he would flip it up quickly.

"Nashing" bah humbug. Know your history!
I agree that Stockton did it before Nash, but "Stocktoning" doesn't have the same ring as "Nashing." I suppose Quin could call it "Johning," but that sounds more like something Hood would do.

I agree that Stockton did it before Nash, but "Stocktoning" doesn't have the same ring as "Nashing." I suppose Quin could call it "Johning," but that sounds more like something Hood would do.
I also think that Nash did it more as a signature move, whereas Stockton to Malone is synonymous with Pick and Roll.

Rather than assuming the pair works regardless, a positive overall plus-minus should make us inquire which combinations of players with those two works best. And even then, +/- stats can be deceiving. I think is fair to say they need good shooting and playmaking around them.

I agree that having a stretch 4 while keeping Favors is ideal. But that's when the money crunch/roles become a problem and therefore an unlikely scenario IMO. Also agree that the key is finding another star. But ideally it would happen at a position of need, such as PF if Favors leaves.

It's not an assumption though, and yes that's exactly the point I'm trying to make. Instead of focusing on moving on from Favors, the focus can, and maybe should be, about building around those two as a front court to an extent. It's a massive sample size, so it's not as deceiving as net rating (not +/- btw) can be in smaller sample sizes. Yes that's completely fair to say, but that's because any player or any duo of any players in the league can use good shooting and playmaking around them.

How is it unlikely? Who is going to pay Favors big money of the few teams that can? We already have stretch 4s in Jerebko, possibly Crowder on cheap money deals. It's not a guarantee and it's a risk heading into unrestricted FA, but I just don't think the Jazz are OK just letting him walk because he doesn't hit 3s. It has worked and we have recently seen continued to work.

It's not an assumption though, and yes that's exactly the point I'm trying to make. Instead of focusing on moving on from Favors, the focus can, and maybe should be, about building around those two as a front court to an extent. It's a massive sample size, so it's not as deceiving as net rating (not +/- btw) can be in smaller sample sizes. Yes that's completely fair to say, but that's because any player or any duo of any players in the league can use good shooting and playmaking around them.

How is it unlikely? Who is going to pay Favors big money of the few teams that can? We already have stretch 4s in Jerebko, possibly Crowder on cheap money deals. It's not a guarantee and it's a risk heading into unrestricted FA, but I just don't think the Jazz are OK just letting him walk because he doesn't hit 3s. It has worked and we have recently seen continued to work.

We just have different takes from the info you provided. Again, I'm not saying they don't work together. On the contrary, I think he is a good fit on the team. I'm just concerned on whether we could find a more dynamic player, scorer next to Rudy. Also, I'm not sure if Favors wants to come back. Until recently it was a given he wasn't, per Tony Jones (who is very close to him) and several reports.

Maybe he will go home to Atlanta? Dallas?. They have money and need a center. Or he may face a dry market. Maybe the Jazz will try a sign & trade? I'm assuming he will leave based on the info at hand. The rest is all speculation.

Last edited:
I think you have to offer Favors an okay contract if we finish the season in the playoffs if (for no other reason) because the other options for PF are frankly slim-- and Favors on a good contract will be super tradeable.

Really sucks that Kuzma went one pick before we could draft him. Sigh.