What's new

Macaroni and cheese

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
This gets a reputation as children's food, specifically the kind from a box with powdered cheese (Kraft mostly but people obviously eat other generic brands). There's a certain stigma associated with it that it can't be taken serious as a food for adults (even though adults do eat it), but it can't be taken seriously as part of a dinner or bringing it as a side-dish to any kind of event or get-together. It reminds me of the insult Cy will sling out about being at "the kids' table," as boxed macaroni and cheese has that same vibe that every "mature" individual wishes to eschew. That said, that isn't the point of this post. My complaint is that we try to take something like macaroni and cheese and make it "adult" or something that can be taken seriously, something you can take as a side to a dinner or... even Thanksgiving. We do this because there's a certain level of "sophistication" that we must portray and so nothing less than the "age appropriate" macaroni and cheese can be used.

But this is garbage. I honestly don't believe there is any good "baked" or "adultified" macaroni and cheese. At best it's neutral, filler, and empty calories. The Kraft stuff, despite its rep, is actually enjoyable to eat (especially if you get something like the three cheese shells that Kraft makes). "Grown up" macaroni and cheese is absolutely awful. The noodles are way too soft, cooked into a mush that's hard to know where the cheese stops and the noodle starts. The cheese sucks. It's not creamy, it's always cold, and after it's cold it coagulates and is awful. The flavor of the cheese is terrible.

Why do we keep on insisting that this is a legitimate food and why don't we embrace that no matter how fancy you think you're making macaroni and cheese, it never is or will be better than just eating that **** right out of the box? I'm tired of this showing up at fancy dinners and being taken serious for adult consumption. It's phony. It's pretend. It's a mass delusion.

This gets a reputation as children's food, specifically the kind from a box with powdered cheese (Kraft mostly but people obviously eat other generic brands). There's a certain stigma associated with it that it can't be taken serious as a food for adults (even though adults do eat it), but it can't be taken seriously as part of a dinner or bringing it as a side-dish to any kind of event or get-together. It reminds me of the insult Cy will sling out about being at "the kids' table," as boxed macaroni and cheese has that same vibe that every "mature" individual wishes to eschew. That said, that isn't the point of this post. My complaint is that we try to take something like macaroni and cheese and make it "adult" or something that can be taken seriously, something you can take as a side to a dinner or... even Thanksgiving. We do this because there's a certain level of "sophistication" that we must portray and so nothing less than the "age appropriate" macaroni and cheese can be used.

But this is garbage. I honestly don't believe there is any good "baked" or "adultified" macaroni and cheese. At best it's neutral, filler, and empty calories. The Kraft stuff, despite its rep, is actually enjoyable to eat (especially if you get something like the three cheese shells that Kraft makes). "Grown up" macaroni and cheese is absolutely awful. The noodles are way too soft, cooked into a mush that's hard to know where the cheese stops and the noodle starts. The cheese sucks. It's not creamy, it's always cold, and after it's cold it coagulates and is awful. The flavor of the cheese is terrible.

Why do we keep on insisting that this is a legitimate food and why don't we embrace that no matter how fancy you think you're making macaroni and cheese, it never is or will be better than just eating that **** right out of the box? I'm tired of this showing up at fancy dinners and being taken serious for adult consumption. It's phony. It's pretend. It's a mass delusion.
I'll add something to the list.

In my head I don't call "scrambled eggs" that, I call them "kid eggs." Because in my opinion the only people who prefer fresh eggs to be scrambled are children or adults with the palate of a child. Scrambled eggs are served at breakfast buffets not because anyone likes them that way, really, but because you can actually pour them out of a carton that way or even just get frozen scrambled eggs. There is no universe in which scrambled eggs on a buffet are better than actual fresh cooked eggs. Well, I should clarify, you can't get fresh cooked eggs on a standard buffet, that would require a cook to make them per order. So instead you get "kid eggs" that are pre-mixed and heated up and slapped into a banquet tray to sit for however many hours breakfast service goes for.

Scrambled eggs are preferred by children or adults with the palate of a child. Same thing with Mac'N'Cheese. It's fine. I can eat it and like it, but it is not what I, as an adult, would prefer to eat. Mac'N'Cheese is food for children.

I mostly agree with your sentiment that what you are calling adult Mac and cheese isn't good and that Kraft Mac and cheese is better, even if I'd prefer not to eat either.

You have your history a little wrong though. Adult Mac n cheese isn't fancy boxed Mac n cheese, Adult Mac n cheese has been around for much longer.

You have obviously not been eating Chick-Fil-A Mac n Cheese. It has ruined me for any other kind.

I haven't been able to eat Kraft M&C for decades. Too fake.

I haven't been to a dinner that served M&C, though.

Beechers Mac and Cheese is a delight to eat. You can buy them at Costco if you don’t want to travel to Seattle at eat at the restaurant.

Mac and Cheese is a pretty standard dish at most BBQ places. Many bars like to serve it as well. There are a lot of places making creative mac and cheeses. I dont think its lacking and adult audience especially more in the south in USA. But that type is never just plain mac and cheese. Good mac and cheese is one of my favorites, you can get such rich creamy cheese flavors that you rarely get in any other type of pasta dish.

But people do have a lot of stereo types of foods I guess like the strange take on scrambled eggs above.

Mac and cheese is seriously overrated and a pretty poor American food, that you can keep.

I'll add something to the list.

In my head I don't call "scrambled eggs" that, I call them "kid eggs." Because in my opinion the only people who prefer fresh eggs to be scrambled are children or adults with the palate of a child. Scrambled eggs are served at breakfast buffets not because anyone likes them that way, really, but because you can actually pour them out of a carton that way or even just get frozen scrambled eggs. There is no universe in which scrambled eggs on a buffet are better than actual fresh cooked eggs. Well, I should clarify, you can't get fresh cooked eggs on a standard buffet, that would require a cook to make them per order. So instead you get "kid eggs" that are pre-mixed and heated up and slapped into a banquet tray to sit for however many hours breakfast service goes for.

Scrambled eggs are preferred by children or adults with the palate of a child. Same thing with Mac'N'Cheese. It's fine. I can eat it and like it, but it is not what I, as an adult, would prefer to eat. Mac'N'Cheese is food for children.

You are perhaps the biggest idiot in the history of food criticism and I'm guessing you don't cook? Scrambled eggs are delicious, I make them regularly, I have eggs for breakfast every day, mostly sunny side up but sometimes in an omelette and sometimes I have them scrambled, just depends, I like to mix it up to avoid getting bored with eggs. Egg, mixed with butter, cream, salt and pepper is delicious, served with avocado and bacon (sometimes I wrap the bacon round some banana and fry it with cinnamon.) is a fantastic way to start the day. You sir are a heathen, a food terrorist and you must be stopped.

I hate eggs. Specifically, the yolk. I know people rave about a runny yolk, but it honestly makes me want to vomit. I can eat scrambled, or an omelet, but no fried, boiled, poached, etc, etc. And claiming that you're somehow a better person for eating fried eggs is just mindboggling.

Mac & cheese was actually brought back to the US by Thomas Jefferson from France. It has a long and storied history. Personally, I rarely have it (if I'm at a BBQ place, I will have beans with burnt ends EVERY TIME), but I have made it really tasty before, mix up some locally made cheeses, add some ham and/or bacon, maybe a little gochugaru for kick...

Yes I am a superior specimen based on my enjoyment of runny yolk. This is the most fundamental and accurate way to assess the value of a person, obviously.

I took my son to Wheeler Farm when he was about 8-years-old and he got to milk a cow. Well he got so grossed out by it (there were a lot of flies and some were in the milk bucket) that he stopped eating eggs and drinking milk from then on, and he's now 20. I think had it not been for that experience he would have continued having eggs and milk.

Anyone ever see a 5 year old order eggs over easy?

I rest my case!

Children exclusively eat kid eggs aka scrambled eggs.

Look, kids are the main consumers of apple sauce as well but that doesn't mean apple sauce tastes bad or that no adult should ever eat it. Some foods are just associated with children and I associate scrambled eggs with children.

I was trying to be funny in my first post in the thread but I obviously missed the mark.

This is either a troll or a terrible take. ANYTHING with good cheese melted over quality pasta is amazing, especially if you add some bacon. My mom was from Hungary and they have a popular dish using pasta with cottage cheese and bacon. It was one of my favorites growing up. Mac and cheese is popular in mountainous areas of Switzerland using gruyere cheese. It's called Alplermagronen. Baked mac and cheese is served in Italy, using gorgonzola, parmigiano, or other cheeses. Quattro formaggi(four cheese) pasta can also be found. The French and English also have amazing mac and cheese.

Anyone ever see a 5 year old order eggs over easy?

I rest my case!

Children exclusively eat kid eggs aka scrambled eggs.

Look, kids are the main consumers of apple sauce as well but that doesn't mean apple sauce tastes bad or that no adult should ever eat it. Some foods are just associated with children and I associate scrambled eggs with children.

I was trying to be funny in my first post in the thread but I obviously missed the mark.
What kind of freak is actually paying attention to, even making notes of, what children order for breakfast?