What's new

Made ya look/Circle game

The symbol thing is spot on. For hundreds of years before the Nazis what is essentially the swastika was a symbol of peace and well-being. No one sees it that way now, in the Western world at least.
One Brow's post almost had me posting a swastika to make this very point. But I think I'll pass since you've made the point beyond adequately already.

Okay...

Here is a picture of the largest sitting Buddha in the world, a little bit outside of Hong Kong (if I recall correctly).

nn0dHaH.jpg

Does intent matter anymore?

Yes, but many don't care because it's too intellectually hard for them to distinguish the differences and jump on the chance to shame someone while victimizing themselves. I assume they do this for both attention and a sense of power.

Burn the witch! Burn the witch!

Don't be that bitch.
Pictures in a yearbook that might or might not be racist symbols are hard to interpret based on intent.

Look at Buddha's chest... Your phone might not make the pic big enough to see it, but on this Buddha statue there is a (reverse) swastika on its chest.
Ah, I see.
Thanks for clarifying

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Does intent matter anymore?

Yes, but many don't care because it's too intellectually hard for them to distinguish the differences and jump on the chance to shame someone while victimizing themselves. I assume they do this for both attention and a sense of power.

Burn the witch! Burn the witch!

Don't be that bitch.
Yep. I agree.
That's why I posted the thread.

Pictures in a yearbook that might or might not be racist symbols are hard to interpret based on intent.
I agree and I think most times when intent isn't certain benefit of the doubt should be the way to go. Like innocent until proven guilty kind of thing

Why not ask them? If it was racist, remove it. If not, cool and move on.
Because it is more about the way it is perceived than about how it is explained. The school isn't taking any chances. Right or wrong, that's what they're doing. It's not like they can add an addendum that says "The students shown exhibiting an upside-down "okay" symbol with their hands have assured us that they used their pictures to play a harmless "circle game" prank and NOT to display a "white power" message.

And no one would ever accuse someone who's not a witch as being a witch so burn them all? Good call, right?
Well and no one who was a witch would ever admit to being a witch. The way you can tell who the witches are is by when they deny it, or also, of course when the dirty bitches just admit it. Either way, burn them all! It's the only way to be safe.

Because it is more about the way it is perceived than about how it is explained. The school isn't taking any chances. Right or wrong, that's what they're doing. It's not like they can add an addendum that says "The students shown exhibiting an upside-down "okay" symbol with their hands have assured us that they used their pictures to play a harmless "circle game" prank and NOT to display a "white power" message.

I don't blame them because of how today's PC standards are with online shaming and bad PR.

That said, wouldn't it be nice to know that intent matter more than false perceptions? Feeding false ideas as being true while shunned the truth seems counter productive. That's my whole in responding to Fish's initial post.

Well and no one who was a witch would ever admit to being a witch. The way you can tell who the witches are is by when they deny it, or also, of course when the dirty bitches just admit it. Either way, burn them all! It's the only way to be safe.

Judge someone by the content of their character and actions. There are plenty of racists who make it known. I'm sure with a simple investigation, the school could have easily found out the reason and context of the picture.

No, you can tell it's a witch if it weighs the same as a duck.

I don't blame them because of how today's PC standards are with online shaming and bad PR.

That said, wouldn't it be nice to know that intent matter more than false perceptions? Feeding false ideas as being true while shunned the truth seems counter productive. That's my whole in responding to Fish's initial post.
Yeah, but it's a risk. Few are willing to take risks. Fewer are willing to take risks in good faith.

What I mean is, most who would take the risk would do so because they didn't care if it was a racist gesture or not. Very very few would take the risk because they believed, hoped, took the kids on their word that it wasn't a racist gesture.

Let's get something straight here. The circle game prank is, in and of itself, not appropriate for your yearbook pictures. Is it a serious offense? No. But all the same, these kids put up a concerted effort to put inappropriate gestures in their yearbook pictures. Was their motivation to play the circle game? All of them? They are all just innocently playing the circle game? But hey, there's also this double meaning. One that a group of kids conspiring with one another to make this gesture should obviously be aware of.

So let's talk about the circle game for a second... The point is to trick people into looking at the circle below your waist so that you can punch them in the arm.

So if these kids are playing the circle game, they're doing it wrong. They all agreed to make the same gesture. There was no trick. They didn't play the actual game.

But what if the circle game was a way of explaining away their actual desire to make a racist gesture? Well, ****! Now it actually makes some kind of stupid sense. They all agreed to make a racist gesture that they could all deny by claiming to actually be playing the circle game. Now the actual game they're playing makes sense. It's still stupid, but it isn't self-contradictory.