What's new

Make Utah Contend Now

Trade #12, GS 2017 pick and Burke to Atl for Teague.

While I don't disagree with the spirit of this post, I'd say that the value of a 12th pick on a rookie contract exceeds the value of an average starting PG for one year. I think we can do better.

Last edited:
While I don't disagree with the spirit of this post, I'd say that the value of a 12th pick on a rookie contract exceed the versus an average starting PG for one year. I think we can do better.
I understand the spirit of the post and disagree with it, but agree with this point. There's NO way that I trade #12 this year for a rental. Jazz will get a decent bench piece at that spot this year for a song of a contract after free agency opens up the floodgates and likely have other assets they can use in a deal for a veteran player.

I find it funny how badly you guys hate love but like Favors. Favors has taken us nowhere.

Sure Live didn't take Minnesota anywhere either, but who fits better with this team? Favors is better defensively, but we have Gobert. Gobert and Favors offensively are a mess. Love would open up the floor offensively. His three point shooting would make Hayward, Exum, Gobert and Hood much, much better. It would open up the floor. Our pick and rolls with Exum and Gobert would be deadly.

Also, by the end of his deal, with the cap rising, he'd be cheap.

If Batum needs two years, 30 per, do it. We'd have the space and who else are going to give it to? The Millers?

Slow down on the Love hate and think about it.

What he does compliments the team so much better than what Favors does. Oh, and Love isn't injured a third of the year every year.

I'm honestly stunned with how many points Fav scores a game given the point guards he has had to work with-- ever since coming to Utah. Has there been a single NBA team spanning from 2012-2016 with a worse rotation of point guards than the Utah Jazz?

I'm honestly stunned with how many points Fav scores a game given the point guards he has had to work with-- ever since coming to Utah. Has there been a single NBA team spanning from 2012-2016 with a worse rotation of point guards than the Utah Jazz?

Good point. But I want Love for his ability to stretch the floor. We have a lot of average shooters and above average pick and roll players. Having Gobert and Favors bogs them down and reduces the effectiveness of the pick and roll and gets you fewer open shots. Love fixes that.

Batum, Hood, Hayward are all very good pick and roll players. If Exum is going to excel, it will be attacking off the pick and roll. If you get rid of Favors/Gobert and insert Love, the pick and roll gets better and our offense gets a lot better.

To win in the NBA, you have to be able to guard the ball handler (Exum), guard the rim (Gobert) and shoot the three. We can do two of those. Love makes everyone better. He opens the floor up. He gets more open shots for other shooters. He is a better rebounder. While Favors is a better defender, Love is a better player overall and fits better than Favors does.

I don't even have to look it up and I'm confident the answer is no... our pg play, especially on offense is god awful. When a guy like Shelvin Mack comes in and there is a significant improvement that is telling.

Here's the biggest reason to do this:

The Jazz would actually be interesting. They could compete for the #3 spot in the west with LA. Maybe #2 depending on what SA does.

I mean, who would want that? Oh, and they don't lose any of their important players. We'd still have Exum, Hood, Hayward, Gobert and Lyles. Lyles learns to be a stretch four. Hood's ceiling is probably Batum. Exum gets to play behind a very good PG.

And the Jazz would be interesting to watch. I mean, who wants that? Nah, let's bake the cake and compete for an 8th seed with Favors. No thanks.

The Jazz were what, 5th or 6th in point differential in the West? Something like that. Without even a decent PG. Seripusly, our best PG was Atlanta's 3rd stringer. I think the idea of us fighting for an 8th seed is a bit foolish. I get wanting to improve our team, but I'd rather trade Gobert than Favors. Favors averages 16 without being hardly a secondary option in this offense.

Bern, I agree with you. I'd rather trade Gobert than Favors. But the irrational Gobert love would have derailed the thread.

I think Favors is our best player. ESPN did an article and if you slot Favors as a C instead of a PF, he's a top 3 center in the NBA. Teague, Hayward, Batum, Love, Favors would be a top 3-4 team in the West.

Trade Gobert for a PG, slot Lyles in at PF and you're set. Don't need to trade for Love. Too much money for a one side of the court only player.

I think Favors is a better overall player than Kevin Love, but Love is a much better fit with our current roster than Favors is.

Trade Gobert for a PG, slot Lyles in at PF and you're set. Don't need to trade for Love. Too much money for a one side of the court only player.

What about Teague for #12? Historically, the 12 pick is garbage. I'd rather have Teague for that pick than trade Gobert.

Another reason I like Live is I want Lyles to be Love. This way he can play with one of the best stretch PF's we've seen.

And as far as money goes, Love isn't that expensive. Especially by the end of his deal. Hell, Love makes $20,000,000 and is be ok giving Batum a two year 25-30 million dollar deal. With the new cap space, Live will be dirt cheap by the end of his deal. We have cap space, and big contracts will fall away when we need more cap space (that's why I only do 2 years for Batum) so we will continue to have cap space.

Let's use these assets. Let's spend some money. Let's create something fun to watch again. Imagine the excitement over a team that looks like this:

Teague/Exum
Hayward/Exum/Hood
Batum/Hayward/Hood
Love/Lyles
Gobert/Withey/Love

That's probably the best team since Malone/Stockton.

Look at the versatility:

Exum
Hood
Batum
Hayward
Love

That lineup would be deadly offensively. We'd be the freaking globetrotters. Or, you go huge:

Exum
Hayward
Lyles
Love
Gobert

Or anywhere in between.

BTW, how stupid of an idea was it to let Millsap walk? Morons. Here I'm wanting a stretch 4 and willing to give up Gobert/Favors to get one, and we let one walk away. One of the better ones.

Plus, I have not looked at their numbers but my gut says that favors and love ppg are not very far from each other.

The Jazz would actually be interesting. They could compete for the #3 spot in the west with LA. Maybe #2 depending on what SA does.

I mean, who would want that? Oh, and they don't lose any of their important players. We'd still have Exum, Hood, Hayward, Gobert and Lyles. Lyles learns to be a stretch four. Hood's ceiling is probably Batum. Exum gets to play behind a very good PG.

And the Jazz would be interesting to watch. I mean, who wants that? Nah, let's bake the cake and compete for an 8th seed with Favors. No thanks.

Grass is not always greener on the other side.

Love makes sense on the offensive end, but might not get enough playing time on the defensive end. He used to be the best rebounder in basketball but now he is barely adequate for a PF.

That team competes for a top 3 pick. not a top 3 playoff spot. We don't improve with this trade them get worse. Love kills our defense and may help on offense but not as much as both Burks and Favors combined.
No way I even entertain this trade. I don't know why you Love Love so much but I have 0 interest in him. He's too expensive and not good enough.

That team competes for a top 3 pick. not a top 3 playoff spot. We don't improve with this trade them get worse. Love kills our defense and may help on offense but not as much as both Burks and Favors combined.
No way I even entertain this trade. I don't know why you Love Love so much but I have 0 interest in him. He's too expensive and not good enough.

That's what some of these ******** don't understand. This team has the potential to be elite on defense. You don't cash that in for mediocre offense. You've got to see where elite can take you.