What's new

Max Out Matthews?

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
Should we do it?

IronWes.jpg

What else are we going to spend our money on?

Does it affect our ability to keep any of our core?

I would consider it especially since the cap is going up and Utah doesn't have a lot of free agent choices. If Exum begins to develop (big if, I admit, but the franchise is riding on it), then Exum, Mathews, Hayward, Favors, and Gobert is a really, really, really good group. I think our model is the Hawks here--get a bunch of really good players who fit perfectly together. I would like to see a good team in the next few years especially since Haygod is likely to opt out of his final year w/ the cap increase.
But the problem with maxing Mathews is Gobert and Favors. We absolutely cannot afford to lose either one, especially with us shipping Enes out, we've put all our chips on them. Gobert is getting Max and Favors next contract could be max.

I think Dennis is right when he talks about flexibility--so we can make a play for a guy like Mathews or Green this offseason. People are upset about the Kanter trade now but it was probably the right thing for this team to do.

I would consider it especially since the cap is going up and Utah doesn't have a lot of free agent choices. If Exum begins to develop (big if, I admit, but the franchise is riding on it), then Exum, Mathews, Hayward, Favors, and Gobert is a really, really, really good group. I think our model is the Hawks here--get a bunch of really good players who fit perfectly together. I would like to see a good team in the next few years especially since Haygod is likely to opt out of his final year w/ the cap increase.
But the problem with maxing Mathews is Gobert and Favors. We absolutely cannot afford to lose either one, especially with us shipping Enes out, we've put all our chips on them. Gobert is getting Max and Favors next contract could be max.

I think Dennis is right when he talks about flexibility--so we can make a play for a guy like Mathews or Green this offseason. People are upset about the Kanter trade now but it was probably the right thing for this team to do.
Very good post but I would not max wes.

He is not a max player imo. I'm a firm believer in only paying someone the max if they are actually a max player....... which should be used on a legit #1 offensive threat type player that can take over a game, put the team on thier back and win you games almost single handedly.
I wouldn't max a player like millsap, korver, teague, etc and think wes a player on those guys level. I wouldn't max draymond or danny green either. Probably wouldn't max leonard either, though I would think about that one. I would however max butler

Consider that max money this off-season is well short of the max when the cap goes up. So we'd only really be paying the max for a year. Right? Maybe?

Havent been paying attention to Wes this year. Wes of old sure. Kid has a good all around game, plays hard, and is a good teammate. It all depends on where we fall in the draft as well. If we somehow land Super Mario then I'm not sure I'd want to add Wes.

Wes Burks Hood and Mario Hayward? Thats a log jam at the 2/3.

He's a very good 3&D guy, but you don't pay those type of players max money unless you want to be first in line on the treadmill.

His max would be too high. Not all maxes are the same. He could get 12-15 per though.

He's a very good 3&D guy, but you don't pay those type of players max money unless you want to be first in line on the treadmill.

You are completely missing the point......

1.) Who else can we sign this year?
2) Who else can we sign next year?
3) The 3rd year the cap will be huge and Matthews max (or near max) will no longer be a max contract and won't be that big of % of the cap

Very good post but I would not max wes.

He is not a max player imo. I'm a firm believer in only paying someone the max if they are actually a max player....... which should be used on a legit #1 offensive threat type player that can take over a game, put the team on thier back and win you games almost single handedly.
I wouldn't max a player like millsap, korver, teague, etc and think wes a player on those guys level. I wouldn't max draymond or danny green either. Probably wouldn't max leonard either, though I would think about that one. I would however max butler

Well if you were a GM of a small market team you would never make the playoffs unless you lucked into a super-star in the draft.

I'd be down just because he fits perfectly. And he became one of my favorite players during that playoff run his rookie year and I've always been upset that we didn't keep him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. This summer is a once in a generation opportunity. Ideally we overpay for someone this summer since the cap goes up to 90 mill the next year. It's what 66.5 mil next year. So it gives us 23.5 mil, and the tax isn't until 110mil. Our 14/yr we can offer somebody will be the equivalent of 10/yr or so. If not Wes, somebody.

The NBA is negotiating to try and avoid this jump, but so far the players don't like it. The only problem is that our gm is not the only one that has this info.

I wonder how many players are going to look to sign 2 years deal this FA. It would make perfect sense for Matthews to sign a big 2 year deal then get a nice 4 year deal when the cap booms.

Matthews:

[B]PROS[/B]

One of the best volume 3pt shooters in the league
One of the best perimeter defenders in the league
Likes Utah
Very Consistent

CONS
Has probably reached ceiling
Doesn't get to the FT line
Turns 29 in October

Matthews:

[B]PROS[/B]

Likes Utah
Very Consistent

CONS
Turns 29 in October

Two of those cons don't even really worry me. The only one that does is his age as that places him about 5 years older than our core players. The perimeter D and floor spacing he provides next to Hayward would be HUGE for Favors and Gobert. Plus he is just a good dude. I think he fits this team perfectly.

Gobert/
Favors/Booker
Hayward/Hood
Matthews/Burks
Exum/Burke

Plus Ingles, and our 2015 pick...with Kanter gone do we go after a big in the draft?

I think Matthews should be a priority in free agency. This season he is shooting 45% FG, 39.9% 3%, 72% FTs. with a couple apg and rpg.

Well if you were a GM of a small market team you would never make the playoffs unless you lucked into a super-star in the draft.
Unfortunately lucking into a superstar in a draft might be the only hope for a championship for a team like the jazz (d will, malone, stockton were all aquired via draft and are the only superstars the jazz have had in my lifetime)

I think that maxing good role players isn't any more likely to lead to a championship than waiting to get lucky aquiring our superstar in the draft. (Hopefully we already did that with one of Hayward, gobert, exum, favors, Burks)

I would rather save that money for if and when exum, Hayward, gobert, or favors becomes that superstar (Hayward might just get there.... gobert too. It would suck if we couldn't pay them because of Wesley matthews)

It sucks not being a free agent destination

Matthews:

[B]PROS[/B]

Likes Utah
Very Consistent

CONS
Turns 29 in October
Good post.
I guess I could be ok with it ONLY because of what's happening with the cap in the next few years

As a general idea I think it's always bad to max role players

Do we have a chance at Butler or Leonard? Maybe even Green? The thought of paying Matthews the max churns my stomach. He's a good player and a nice person, but can a team that pays him the max ever become a contender? The move screams MEDIOCRITY.

Do we have a chance at Butler or Leonard? Maybe even Green? The thought of paying Matthews the max churns my stomach. He's a good player and a nice person, but can a team that pays him the max ever become a contender? The move screams MEDIOCRITY.

Why? He provides exactly what the Jazz need. Perimeter D and outside shooting that spaces the floor. If the cap does go up it won't be a max beyond this one year. Personally I think 12-14 will land him.

But what would you be willing to pay him and if not him then who, how much and why is that person a better choice than Matthews?

For the record I think Matthews is only 1 of 3-4 viable options for the Jazz. With Utah being Utah I expect overpays within reason to land the free agents that the FO wants.

I don't think you need to max Matthews to get him. Portland will be hard pressed to match a bigger deal seeing as LA and Lopez are both UFA's this offseason, and Lillard's rookie deal is up next off season. They're already over the cap and just took on Afflalo's $7.5M. I think the Jazz could get him around 12-14M, barring another team going all in on him.