What's new

Mike Conley Contingency Plan

We have to shed bojan and favors, and no way in hell we can pay Conley 20. 10 or less or let him walk.

So basically, the Jazz can't do a sign & trade with Conley. Because virtually any way I look at it, with the signing of Conley (and matching salaries in return) they'll be over the Apron.

I realize this is rough projection and some of these players aren't guaranteed, but I just listed them out because you still have to fill the roster with minimum deals.

We can sign and trade Conley but can’t take a sign and trade player back unless we are under the apron after the trade.

We can sign and trade Conley but can’t take a sign and trade player back unless we are under the apron after the trade.

How much can we take back in a sign and trade to stay under the apron?

Also can we go over the apron to re sign Conley?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I expect about three different players for the Jazz next season, likely not Conley anymore. Donovan is not absolutely still here.

Along the same uninformed speculative probabilities, the CCP might buy in with oh 20% ownership of the Jazz, so look for some likely Macao giant to come over to be our big man.

How much can we take back in a sign and trade to stay under the apron?

Also can we go over the apron to re sign Conley?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

It all depends on what we trade. If you look at the opening post of this thread I laid out a few examples.

We can sign Conley for whatever amount we want. If we re-sign Conley don’t shed any salary the luxury tax bill is going to be astronomical though.

Right now if we picked up Oni’s team option we would be sitting at exactly 132,180,367M worth of guaranteed salary with 11 players.

The estimated luxury tax cap is estimated to be around 136.6M. The apron is exactly 4M over the luxury tax cap which would be 140.6M.

Now, if we take a player back in a sign and trade we can’t go over that number.

If we merely traded Favors/1st we could take back around 14.5M worth of salary while filling out the roster with 2 minimum contracts.

Now if you add Clarkson to the Favors/1st package we could take back around 25.2M worth of salary while filling out the roster with 3 minimum contracts.

If you add Bogdanovic instead of Clarkson the number we could take back is around 31.5M.

A Bogdanovic/Clarkson/1st package could allow us to take back up to around 34.2M back.

These numbers are purely for sign and trade options. If it is a straight across normal trade you would have to cut 4M from the salary coming back from each option.

Just re-posting this so everyone gets the best idea of what our options are if Conley left and we didn’t get any compensation back.

So basically, the Jazz can't do a sign & trade with Conley. Because virtually any way I look at it, with the signing of Conley (and matching salaries in return) they'll be over the Apron.

I realize this is rough projection and some of these players aren't guaranteed, but I just listed them out because you still have to fill the roster with minimum deals.

We can go over the apron as long as the player(s) we receive back are already under contract. My assumption is Conley signs for $20m a year, as you have on the spreadsheet. So, if you want to look and sign and trade scenarios look at teams with $20-ish million in tradeable contracts and/or some cap space that might want Conley and that Conley would like as well.

The scenarios we should probably stop considering are obtaining any player that is a free agent that will command more than the tax payer MLE. That would hard cap us. So Schroeder, Collins, Oladipo etc… are probably all out.

Right now if we picked up Oni’s team option we would be sitting at exactly 132,180,367M worth of guaranteed salary with 11 players.

The estimated luxury tax cap is estimated to be around 136.6M. The apron is exactly 4M over the luxury tax cap which would be 140.6M.

Now, if we take a player back in a sign and trade we can’t go over that number.

If we merely traded Favors/1st we could take back around 14.5M worth of salary while filling out the roster with 2 minimum contracts.

Now if you add Clarkson to the Favors/1st package we could take back around 25.2M worth of salary while filling out the roster with 3 minimum contracts.

If you add Bogdanovic instead of Clarkson the number we could take back is around 31.5M.

A Bogdanovic/Clarkson/1st package could allow us to take back up to around 34.2M back.

These numbers are purely for sign and trade options. If it is a straight across normal trade you would have to cut 4M from the salary coming back from each option.

Just re-posting this so everyone gets the best idea of what our options are if Conley left and we didn’t get any compensation back.
Thanks. In no universe would I or should the Jazz send assets to create a trade exception that they won’t use. I’m just hoping for any avenue whatsoever to recoup any of the tertiary assets that DL pissed away in just the last year.

I would hope the NBA’s nicest guy would be able to get the Mavericks to toss a couple 2nds to the Jazz but this is probably just wishful thinking.

This whole situation makes me pretty nervous because I am actually totally fine moving on from Conley (especially if the price-tag is bonkers which I see as a high likelihood) but would be very displeased if he simply signed elsewhere and the Jazz just lost yet another asset outright.

It may be underpowered (actually 95 hp, I believe), but it's pretty lightweight, so it doesn't need a lot. Which also actually fits in the comparison.
If you dyno any of those cars, they under-deliver..... which might be another way this description fits ;)

We have Conley, Ersan and the Minivan who are free agents, What other players could the Jazz just walk way from without enduring a financial hit?

We have Conley, Ersan and the Minivan who are free agents, What other players could the Jazz just walk way from without enduring a financial hit?
Brantley, Forrest are two-way (so
can be dropped), Morgan, Thomas, and Oni are unguaranteed or partially guaranteed, so can be moved on from quite easily.

The only end-of-benchers that we would have any challenge moving on from are Doke and Hughes.

My guess is only Brantley and Morgan are gone and that’s it. Which is a shame, because Doke is the only player on the roster after Niang that has any chance of ever being an NBA rotation quality player. Sorry, just facts.

Brantley, Forrest are two-way (so
can be dropped), Morgan, Thomas, and Oni are unguaranteed or partially guaranteed, so can be moved on from quite easily.

The only end-of-benchers that we would have any challenge moving on from are Doke and Hughes.

My guess is only Brantley and Morgan are gone and that’s it. Which is a shame, because Doke is the only player on the roster after Niang that has any chance of ever being an NBA rotation quality player. Sorry, just facts.
It struck me that Hughes is so deep in Quin's dog house for whatever reason, we might as well name him DedExII.

So, what are the odds that Conley will heal up and have a year of solid play?
You'll have to give some parameters as to what you consider "heal up" because I think this hamstring issue will be under constant management the rest of his career. It will cause him to lose games, what the hope should be is that the lost games are load management and not weeks and weeks after re-injuring it.

He has missed 1/3 of his games on the Jazz due to recurring hamstring issues. He's past the age that he was supposed to fall off a cliff and still getting older. It's not going away.

You'll have to give some parameters as to what you consider "heal up" because I think this hamstring issue will be under constant management the rest of his career. It will cause him to lose games, what the hope should be is that the lost games are load management and not weeks and weeks after re-injuring it.

He has missed 1/3 of his games on the Jazz due to recurring hamstring issues. He's past the age that he was supposed to fall off a cliff and still getting older. It's not going away.
So what I mean is to be able to play a consistent number of minutes, game after game, through a whole season. Maybe not 40 minutes, but 12 at least, Enough to let another player with a reasonably comproble skill set get some rest every game.

If there's no hope for that, we have to find a new plan.

So what I mean is to be able to play a consistent number of minutes, game after game, through a whole season. Maybe not 40 minutes, but 12 at least, Enough to let another player with a reasonably comproble skill set get some rest every game.

If there's no hope for that, we have to find a new plan.
That will never happen. He will miss games. Every single back-to-back at minimum, and I would guess a minimum of 20% of his games (he didn't play 5 consecutive games after his first hamstring injury this year).

I can deal with aggressive load management in the regular season, but only if a guy can last the playoffs. I don't believe Conley can without continued load management.