What's new

Millers sell the Jazz

Remember when the narrative was the special trust that would make it so the Jazz would never be sold? It was just a tax break for the Millers. I don't blame them for selling with franchise values so high:

Steve Miller, a member of the Board of Directors, said the trust "finally put to rest the questions and speculation about the team being sold." He added that the Jazz are not his family's team, but a "community asset."

Greg Miller, also a member of the Board of Directors and former CEO, said the trust will be the closest thing to "perpetual ownership."

Last edited:
Always kind of just seemed like Gail and kids just never had their heart into this like Larry did. Nothing wrong with that, but they had to be ultra careful who they sold to if they were going to do it. If they sold the team and they moved them to another state their bottom line of other businesses no doubt would've suffered. I sure as hell wouldn't spend a dime at any LHM facility. Looks like things should remain safe with Ryan though.

I wonder if this will change the dynamic of how they approach building the team. Are they going to continue to mostly be a fringe playoff team or get more aggressive in dealing for players that can get them into the upper tier of teams?

I wonder if this will change the dynamic of how they approach building the team. Are they going to continue to mostly be a fringe playoff team or get more aggressive in dealing for players that can get them into the upper tier of teams?

Not sure if passion is going to change how aggressive they are willing to be or how much money they want to spend, but I do feel Ryan's heart will be more in it than what we've had currently. I could see that going good or bad honestly, sometimes it's a better thing to have ownership stay out of things.

Didn't see that coming, but agree that the rest of the family didn't have the same passion as Larry. Glad they sold it to someone who will hopefully keep the team in Utah.

Do you think this has anything to do with recent political activity of the players? I hope not.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

Didn't see that coming, but agree that the rest of the family didn't have the same passion as Larry. Glad they sold it to someone who will hopefully keep the team in Utah.

Do you think this has anything to do with recent political activity of the players? I hope not.

I mean it may be looked at as one of the jumping off points for "selling high." At some point the NBA will NOT grow exponentially, and this year (not just due to politics) looks like it has the makings of a reality check.

Yeah this came outta nowhere. I thought with the trust this would never happen. Now I’m in fear that they’ll move to a more lucrative market. Like legit worried. If it can happen to re Sonics it can happen to anyone else

He seems less likely than most to move the team, but it's certainly a bigger danger now than it was a week ago.

On the positive sides hopefully he's willing to spend a bit :)

I guess anything can happen, but I'm not feeling nervous at all. Gotta remember Bennett moved the Sonics back to his hometown. If Ryan was Seattle born and raised (or some other city/state) the worry factor would be exponentially higher.

Absolutely connected with the politics of what is going on. I think it wore Gail out trying to straddle a number of issues. Gail was every bit as committed as Larry was and had tremendous passion for the team and the players. I think RS will be a good owner and he is a Utah boy who will keep the team here.

I guess anything can happen, but I'm not feeling nervous at all. Gotta remember Bennett moved the Sonics back to his hometown. If Ryan was Seattle born and raised (or some other city/state) the worry factor would be exponentially higher.

the value of the team would be substantially higher if it was moved to Seattle.