What's new

Millers will never go over the luxury tax...

The part I thought was interesting was that they have 7 presidents over the seven areas of the business, and they are very fortunate to have 6 high performance people in those positions. So, which one is not high performance?

The preceding sentence:
the luxury tax is now so punitive that even the markets with deeper pockets would have to be really crazy to go into that.
A bit of context never hurts.

Yep

they should just hard cap dis bitch already

It's much closer to a hard cap with the apron and tighter limits on trades for those paying LT. It'll be much harder for teams to do what Paul Allen and Jerry Buss used to -- i.e. if, say, Miami were to redo their big 3's contracts with large raises then they'll have a hard time filling the roster in around those guys going forward.

Aren't the first 3 years of being over the cap like the old CBA? Then after you've done it for a few years in a row it goes over?

It's much closer to a hard cap with the apron and tighter limits on trades for those paying LT. It'll be much harder for teams to do what Paul Allen and Jerry Buss used to -- i.e. if, say, Miami were to redo their big 3's contracts with large raises then they'll have a hard time filling the roster in around those guys going forward.

Thank god

New rules are dumb. No one is going to go into the LT but 2 or 3 teams, and if they are smart, will be able to dominate ever harder.

https://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-...nd-undercover-boss-featured-guest-greg-miller

Larry said he would never go over the luxury tax, but did two years after saying it. I think Greg means it when he says the Millers will never go over the luxury tax.
It's the repeat offender penalty that really hurts.
It is a new landscape. Even the Lakers are reeling in their expenditures. Prokhorov didn't care, but he thought he could buy a title. How's that going for him this season?

I could see Miller PERHAPS landing in the tax for a year - if contracts overlap and the Jazz are in serious contention for a championship. But with shorter contracts, I think finances are a little easier to manage, although eventually tough choices may need to be made.

Not only is the LT more of a hard cap for the league at large, but it has always been a line that teams without unlimited money have had to watch out for.

Why? Because the LT exists precisely to benefit those teams--to even the playing field so that the mega market teams can't just pay for all the talent. If Utah and Milwaukee and teams like that routinely went into the tax every year, I have a feeling it would go away in an upcoming CBA. Why would the deep pocket teams sign up to be limited by the LT if the teams it supposedly benefits aren't using it?

The new graduated LT brackets are brutal but to say a team would be crazy to go into it doesn't mean it won't happen. It just means a select few big market teams will become mega-market teams leaving the rest of the league far behind.

The new graduated LT brackets are brutal but to say a team would be crazy to go into it doesn't mean it won't happen. It just means a select few big market teams will become mega-market teams leaving the rest of the league far behind.

A lot less likely under this plan than the old one.

I might be wrong (a little help gvc?) but i dont think that money is the only penalty...... i think there are also penalties in the form or how a team in the LT can do trades and how they can go after free agents.

I may be mistaken, but didn't we go over the salary cap once 3-4 years ago? I got the impression then that Greg was less of a stickler than Larry.

I may be mistaken, but didn't we go over the salary cap once 3-4 years ago? I got the impression then that Greg was less of a stickler than Larry.
Yes, but the contracts that put us there were largely in place when Larry was still in charge. LHM vetoed the trade of AK and that set the team up to be a tax payer if they decided to keep Millsap (which they smartly did). It was a one-year event and the Jazz did mitigate it some by trading the contract of Harpring along with what had been their first-round pick (Maynor) for Fehse.

Doubt the Jazz will do the same under the new CBA - unless the team is truly in contention for a title.

unless the team is truly in contention for a title.
This is what I believe. A small amount over the tax is not the end of the world. Still would be under very narrow circumstances, which is what I expect as a fan.