What's new

Millsap and The Stretch Provision

GVC

Another re-sign Millsap thread (I know, I know...FWIW I wouldn't be upset if he's let go). Just thought mentioning the stretch provision for those worried about how re-signing a Jazz player might affect the team's ability to re-sign current and future young players.

The new CBA includes a "Stretch Provision" whereby teams can "stretch" the remaining salary and cap hit of a waived player over 2 times the contract's remaining seasons plus 1 season. That is, if a player is waived with 2 years left on his contract, the remaining salary and cap hit can be stretched over 5 seasons.

Say the Jazz are able to re-sign Millsap to a frontloaded contract starting at $9.5mm (year 1) and ending at $6.65mm (year 5) (I've left out a signing bonus, as that makes the calculations/analysis tougher, and I'm not 100% sure how a signing bonus is affected by the stretch provision). If the Jazz waive Millsap after year 2, when Kanter/Burks extensions/new contracts kick in, he would have $22.0875mm to be stretched out over 7 years, for an average of less than $3.2mm per year (minus any amount set off if/when Millsap is signed by another team, assuming he clears waivers).

While having $3.2mm of wasted salary on your books is not ideal, having this new option makes re-signing your own players a bit more palatable/less risky, as mistakes can be dampened. If Locke is right in thinking that the market for Millsap this offseason will roughly be what he was offered in an extension this past season, and the Jazz can retain him for that amount, I think it's a no-brainer unless the Jazz can acquire assets in an S&T OR need the cap space to sign other free agents.

I really like Milsap, a lot. I'm just so emotionally invested in the 'new' team that it's blinded me to certain realities.. and because of that, I prefer him out.

Why re-sign him if you are going to cut him in two years?
That wouldn't be the plan, it's just an option. It's an illustration to show how the new CBA helps stupid GMs correct mistakes, and why re-signing a player like Millsap wouldn't be so bad even if everything went wrong.

I really like Milsap, a lot. I'm just so emotionally invested in the 'new' team that it's blinded me to certain realities.. and because of that, I prefer him out.

Yeah, pretty much how I feel.

This is how I feel. I know Millsap is fully capable of playing better than last year. I also believe that this team will have a hard time moving past this era of Jazz basketball with him on the team. I believe it's time to move on.
If he lasts in Free Agency and realizes he's probably a backup quality player and is willing to fill that role, then I have no problem with bringing Millsap back on a reasonable deal. Since I don't believe he will ever do that as a Jazz player, I again believe it's time to move on.

Millsap will wish he had taken that extension. Next years salary cap is 1.5 million lower than expected.

Good point. I also want to see Kanter and Favors as the starters. I guess you could put off having Kanter start for another year, given that he's returning from injury and would still get 30 mins in a three-man rotation. Millsap would also be valuable in a trade. But, then again, you'd likely have to take salary back. If we're going to be bad, let's go "all in" with the youngsters. Bring in a couple of rookie or young bigs to play behind Favors and Kanter. Going forward, I just don't think there's enough money to invest three big contracts at the 4/5 positions. Utah doesn't have superstars, so maybe they can have a "Pretty Big 4" instead of a "Big 3." But those 4 better all be starters, with younger, cheaper contracts behind them.

I've said this all along:

Millsap will be back for less than what he makes now.

Say the Jazz are able to re-sign Millsap to a frontloaded contract starting at $9.5mm (year 1) and ending at $6.65mm (year 5) (I've left out a signing bonus, as that makes the calculations/analysis tougher, and I'm not 100% sure how a signing bonus is affected by the stretch provision).

I actually wouldn't mind signing Millsap to a front loaded long term contract...

It gives us options...

Kanter/Favours/Millsap slit minute and all three get plenty...

If our young bigs explode, Paul becomes our 6th man or we have a great asset to trade for a filler piece!!

If we were resigning 2008 Millsap(Millsap in a Real Offensive system), I'd be stoked. 2013 Millsap(millsap in an alfense) sucks and is a cocky prick.
fixed!
yeah we need a system. then millsap can flourish
even Micheal jordan would suck major donkey balls in a alfenssive so called system