What's new

Mitchell injury

The issue is that Donovan gets soooooooo much hype and Gobert gets dragged by casuals all day. The difference is wild and stark.

This doesn’t even touch on that the entire game plan on both sides of the ball is reliant on Gobert.

Well I’m not really surprised by that are you? Casual fans like scoring. Gobert averages 14.4 PPG and 13.6 RPG. I have had countless meaningless conversations with casuals who will ask what Gobert does that Drummond doesn’t etc. That is a useless battle because that person obviously doesn’t watch the Jazz and it is a lost cause. Jazz fans in general come off as overhyping Gobert because they do it in such over the top fashion because of how underrated he is. It is to counterbalance the argument but comes off wrong to casual NBA fans.

Even guys like Zach Lowe who is a basketball knowledge savant said Mitchell is our best player. Because of the playoffs. The notion that Gobert gets played off the court is in a lot of people’s minds due to the Rockets playoff series a few years back. That is so overstated it’s not even funny. Unfortunately that’s the narrative that is mainstream.

Mitchell is the key to our playoff success on the offensive end. He is the reason why we can elevate to a championship contender. His offensive game has improved a lot.

Well I’m not really surprised by that are you? Casual fans like scoring. Gobert averages 14.4 PPG and 13.6 RPG. I have had countless meaningless conversations with casuals who will ask what Gobert does that Drummond doesn’t etc. That is a useless battle because that person obviously doesn’t watch the Jazz and it is a lost cause. Jazz fans in general come off as overhyping Gobert because they do it in such over the top fashion because of how underrated he is. It is to counterbalance the argument but comes off wrong to casual NBA fans.

Even guys like Zach Lowe who is a basketball knowledge savant said Mitchell is our best player. Because of the playoffs. The notion that Gobert gets played off the court is in a lot of people’s minds due to the Rockets playoff series a few years back. That is so overstated it’s not even funny. Unfortunately that’s the narrative that is mainstream.

Mitchell is the key to our playoff success on the offensive end. He is the reason why we can elevate to a championship contender. His offensive game has improved a lot.
Your point is well made that he is our best off-the-dribble hope in a solved offense. Hopefully we get peak Mitchell in those situations in the playoffs.

Gobert raises the floor, Mitchell raises the ceiling.

Your point is well made that he is our best off-the-dribble hope in a solved offense. Hopefully we get peak Mitchell in those situations in the playoffs.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I think that really hits the nail on the head.

Defense is so incredibly underrated in the NBA a guy like Gobert gets head scratches when he's compared to the importance of a guy like Mitchell.

I love Mitchell. All the way. His NBA story is incredible. He is the leading scorer on possibly the best Jazz team of all time, and by possibly I mean that it's possible this is a better team than the 96-97 team and the 97-98 team (playoffs will tell that story). He's absolutely part of the core of this team.

Mitchell is irreplaceable by any player on the Jazz roster.

Gobert is irreplaceable by any player in the NBA.
Well said.

The real difference is that without Mitchell, our ceiling could be WCF, maybe a lucky break or 2 to go further. Without Gobert we aren't even sniffing the playoffs, let alone being in a position to do anything there.

Mitchell is the fancy flowers on the frosting. Gobert is the cake, and the base layer of frosting.

The real difference is that without Mitchell, our ceiling could be WCF, maybe a lucky break or 2 to go further. Without Gobert we aren't even sniffing the playoffs, let alone being in a position to do anything there.

Mitchell is the fancy flowers on the frosting. Gobert is the cake, and the base layer of frosting.
Here you go...

Screenshot_20210426-152012_QuickPic.jpg

No, man. This is fondant. Fondant tastes like ****. When we did our wedding cake, I had no idea what fondant was and thought it was frosting. It was worthless (but expensive). **** that ****. It needs to be edible. Otherwise just make something cool out of clay rather than pretending it’s something someone wants to eat.

Hell, eating the clay may be more appetizing.

No, man. This is fondant. Fondant tastes like ****. When we did our wedding cake, I had no idea what fondant was and thought it was frosting. It was worthless (but expensive). **** that ****. It needs to be edible. Otherwise just make something cool out of clay rather than pretending it’s something someone wants to eat.

Hell, eating the clay may be more appetizing.
Also it’s our 14 year anniversary today.

Mitchell likely would have made a difference in that last loss to MN. Nobody could hit a three. We desperately needed Mitchell's driving ability and foul shots. Not saying he's more important than Gobert but he is very important.

We are a playoff team without Rudy.
We are a playoff team without Don.

We are a dangerous playoff team with Rudy and Don. Rudy would never see the 2nd round without Don.

I don't like to say one is better than the other. I will say that Donovan is much more important in the postseason than Rudy. It's just how the NBA postseason is played and called.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

We are a dangerous playoff team with Rudy and Don. Rudy would never see the 2nd round without Don.

I don't like to say one is better than the other. I will say that Donovan is much more important in the postseason than Rudy. It's just how the NBA postseason is played and called.

Yeah, I am not sure the Jazz is a playoff team without Mitchell. I think they'd contend for the 8th spot but it's not a lock.

I mean, it's true. Look at how awful they've played with him out there - losing to a god-awful Minnesota team twice in a row.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Jazz didn't win again until he returned.
Chill. The Jazz barely lost two games in a row while playing absolutely terrible on offense against a team that has a huge matchup issue for the Jazz.

The Jazz will be fine and will easily handle the Kings next game.

Chill. The Jazz barely lost two games in a row while playing absolutely terrible on offense against a team that has a huge matchup issue for the Jazz.

The Jazz will be fine and will easily handle the Kings next game.

Yeah. I would have thought losing, at home, to one of the worst teams in the NBA, would have been a wake up call for them to be fine tonight ... and they weren't.

It's not just these losses. It's the whole vibe of the team. They have not played consistently well, and looked like the top team in the NBA, for weeks now. Even during that last win streak they put together, which was mostly a byproduct of bad teams, something felt off. I think it's absolutely valid to question whether this team is reverting back to the mean of what we've come to expect from them the last few seasons ... and not the true elite, title contender so many of us hoped and thought they could be at the All Star Break.

No, we would be fighting for maybe an 8th seed without Rudy. We'd be in the hunt for home court without Donovan.

Yeah. I would have thought losing, at home, to one of the worst teams in the NBA, would have been a wake up call for them to be fine tonight ... and they weren't.

It's not just these losses. It's the whole vibe of the team. They have not played consistently well, and looked like the top team in the NBA, for weeks now. Even during that last win streak they put together, which was mostly a byproduct of bad teams, something felt off. I think it's absolutely valid to question whether this team is reverting back to the mean of what we've come to expect from them the last few seasons ... and not the true elite, title contender so many of us hoped and thought they could be at the All Star Break.
The T-Wolves are now 14-13 when D'Lo and KAT play. Use some context and you would know they arent the worst team in the NBA. They are just a team that got hit by the injury bug in a major way.

The T-Wolves are now 14-13 when D'Lo and KAT play. Use some context and you would know they arent the worst team in the NBA. They are just a team that got hit by the injury bug in a major way.

No need for context. This was the first time all season Minnesota won back-to-back games. These were terrible losses. Especially since the Jazz is in a battle for that top spot and losing games they should be winning and banking so that they can absorb some tougher losses to the more decent teams on their schedule (like Phoenix here Friday).

It's just funny to me that the narrative coming out of the All Star Break was that the Jazz had a ridiculously easy second half, while teams like Phoenix had a daunting second-half schedule and here we are, with the Jazz actually having their lead in the standings slip a bit. Yes, credit them for still holding onto it (barely) but I think most fans expected they would have put some distance between them and the Suns in the second half of the season and they haven't.

And now, Friday, we're looking at a very possible scenario where the Jazz slip to the second spot if the Suns win these next two games. I'm not impressed. I'm not thrilled. It's discouraging knowing this team positioned themselves for a strong potential second half and now all the momentum, the talk about solidifying that top spot, seems dangerously close to being lost because they can't figure out how to beat the goddamn Timberwolves.

With Rudy the Jazz are maybe a second rounder but probabaly not. With Don the Jazz prob don’t lose twice to the pesky twolves. Imagine a world where we have both of them.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz