What's new

Mitchell makes his pitch for Paul George in the Philippines

This could have something to do with it: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/102688/filipinos-second-shortest-in-southeast-asia

Ave height of Filipino males is 162 cm, females is 150 cm.

Global average height of males is 173 cm, females is 160 cm.

Ave height of American males is 176 cm, females is 162 cm.

Ave height difference of 14 cm (5.5 inches) relative to Americans is pretty tough to overcome.

I'm having a hard time believing that the average American male is only 5' 9". It seems like I don't see that many dudes that are less than 5'6" but I see plenty taller than 6'0".

Edit: Maybe the mean male height.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time believing that the average American male is only 5' 9". It seems like I don't see that many dudes that are less than 5'6" but I see plenty taller than 6'0".

It's all dem immigants.
Where do you live? Where I work (IT dept) there are lots of shorter asian and middle-easterners. And in other parts of the company, plenty of shorter men from Mexico and Latin America.

<cough> I believe you meant median not mean.

For practical purposes, average, median, and mean are essentially the same when you are using a sample size as large as the adult male population of United States.

And thus I make my totally irrelevant Jazzfanz post of the day.

For practical purposes, average, median, and mean are essentially the same when you are using a sample size as large as the adult male population of United States.

Not irrelevant. Mine on the other hand...

I see you one nerdy post and raise you another. Sample size is irrelevant aside from the case of very small numbers. It's the shape of the distribution that matters. If it's skewed to one side or the other, then median will be different than the mean. If it's symmetric, such as a Gaussian (normal) distribution, then the two will be the same. Oh, and "average" is exactly the same as "mean", i.e., average always refers to the mean, at least in general usage. All that being said, a quick internet search tells me that heights do generally follow (something very close to) a normal distribution, so the mean and median will be the same.

I see you one nerdy post and raise you another. Sample size is irrelevant aside from the case of very small numbers. It's the shape of the distribution that matters. If it's skewed to one side or the other, then median will be different than the mean. If it's symmetric, such as a Gaussian (normal) distribution, then the two will be the same. Oh, and "average" is exactly the same as "mean", i.e., average always refers to the mean, at least in general usage. All that being said, a quick internet search tells me that heights do generally follow (something very close to) a normal distribution, so the mean and median will be the same.
:)

Yeah I did