What's new

Mitchell needs to start

Is gloating about and taking credit for success that isn't even yours good manners?

My gloating, or sarcasm, was aimed at a certain person named Archie. One thing I did find surprising, however, was that I compared him to Dame without knowing that Mitchell actually used him as a role model and had been wearing his shoes. I only found this out when he wore them for the Portland game and Kristen Kenney reported it. I know many of us were excited about him in Summer League but I actually was the first to compare him to Lillard without knowing this. Kind of a coincidence.

My gloating, or sarcasm, was aimed at a certain person named Archie. One thing I did find surprising, however, was that I compared him to Dame without knowing that Mitchell actually used him as a role model and had been wearing his shoes. I only found this out when he wore them for the Portland game and Kristen Kenney reported it. I know many of us were excited about him in Summer League but I actually was the first to compare him to Lillard without knowing this. Kind of a coincidence.

I was the first person to lick my own toilet

LOL.

I think the rookie wall used to exist and still may be a minor factor for some who aren't in great shape. College players were used to 30 games + the tournament, then the end of basketball season and some time off until getting back into it the following year. But now, most are "1 and done" and there is no off-season. They're working from the end of their college season to get ready for pre-draft camps and individual workouts; then it's on to summer league and pre-camp workouts. They arrive for pre-season in shape and ready to go.

Mitchell may not be able to keep up his frenetic pace for 82 games. But that might be a good thing. Let him slow down just a bit so he learns how to pick his spots. I don't see him hitting much of a wall, though. Wouldn't it be great if he can average close to 20 for the rest of the season?
The rookie wall is real. Its a mix of scouting and fatigue from a 82 game season.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

The rookie wall is real. Its a mix of scouting and fatigue from a 82 game season.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

Oh yeah. I’m expecting a drop off at some point. He could be the rare rookie that gets better as the season progresses though. He’s certainly exceeeded my expectations for him this year. I hopeQuin keeps pushing him in new ways and challenging him to step up his game as his role expands.

Oh yeah. I’m expecting a drop off at some point. He could be the rare rookie that gets better as the season progresses though. He’s certainly exceeeded my expectations for him this year. I hopeQuin keeps pushing him in new ways and challenging him to step up his game as his role expands.

I predict that he will get better, just as he has the first 13 games of this season and challenge Simmons for rookie of the year.

Well, I was actually the first. But so what. Of course you don't care and it really doesn't matter. You're right about that. But there were a lot more doubters at that time. Listen, I don't really like someone telling me to shut up, Numbnuts

I think [MENTION=160]Bodhi[/MENTION] was the OG on Spida. And the rest of us loved him from the first Summer League Game. Quit trying to be a hipster on Donovan. It's a bad look.

I think Bodhi was the OG on Spida. And the rest of us loved him from the first Summer League Game. Quit trying to be a hipster on Donovan. It's a bad look.

All I can remember is that when I posted my enthusiasms after the first summer league game and that was July 5, I got a lot of flack and negative feedback. Now I don't who know was first, but that was the first time I saw him and hadn't read anything that enthusiastic on here. Go back and check the board. Anyway, like I said, I don't care. Why do you have to bring this up now? People can be such p...ks on her.

All I can remember is that when I posted my enthusiasms after the first summer league game and that was July 5, I got a lot of flack and negative feedback. Now I don't who know was first, but that was the first time I saw him and hadn't read anything that enthusiastic on here. Go back and check the board. Anyway, like I said, I don't care. Why do you have to bring this up now? People can be such p...ks on her.

People were deliriously happy on draft night so I don't know where you were.

Eenie Meenie, a true martyr for the hype beast.

People were deliriously happy on draft night so I don't know where you were.

Well, that could be. But I don't follow college ball very closely, so I knew nothing about him. He wasn't even projected as high as the Jazz drafted him, or was he? I don't even know. I only know that when I first saw him, I saw NBA greatness written all over him, and that's what I said in my first posts. If you doubt me about the negative responses I got, go back and look yourself.

I think a lot of us were high on DM after his workout with the Jazz. Many were impressed that a guy projected to go much higher would still work out with the Jazz. And of course, he was effusive in his praise of the city and organization. Most "negative" comments (after the Jazz drafted him) were just precautionary. A lot of players have looked like stars in the summer league and have failed to live up to those lofty performances in the NBA.

And yes, Eenie, he shot up the draft boards very quickly. Maybe before the draft camp he was projected in the Jazz' range, but by the time he hit the individual workout circuit he was already projected as a lottery pick. IINM, Utah was his first individual workout.

People tempering your expectations calling a rookie an all-star after 1 summer league arent being negative, they are just trying to prevent the unnecessary over hyping of a player because we all know he will inevitably struggle, at least at points, during his rookie year. That has already happened and we had to deal with the Archies. The Archies are response to the premature over-hyping. With hype comes expectations and with expectations comes inevitable disappointment.

TLDR: Can't we all just enjoy a rookie without having to anoint him the savior after the first month?

I think a lot of us were high on DM after his workout with the Jazz. Many were impressed that a guy projected to go much higher would still workout with the Jazz. And of course, he was effusive in his praise of the city and organization. Most "negative" comments (after the Jazz drafted him) were just precautionary. A lot of players have looked like stars in the summer league and have failed to live up to those lofty performances in the NBA.

I really don't recall much about his workout or what was said on here about him, just that people were positive about him. But I never expected him to be this good, and I think it surprised a lot of other people (including DL and Quin), even though they were high on him. Actually, it seems he continues to make one amazing play after another in every game. When you see it once or twice, you think it could be a fluke, but I think everyone is in agreement now about him, the guy is at least a future All-Star. He's so much better than Hayward at this stage that I think by next year, he will be better than Hayward ever will be. Maybe I'm going overboard, because as Archie says, he can't shoot -- I'm being facetious.

The OG Donovan Mitchell hater tho is [MENTION=10]Crocodile Dante[/MENTION]

Documented facts.

Also, the OG adopters of Donovan Mitchell are [MENTION=2840]dytide[/MENTION], myself, and [MENTION=245]Catchall[/MENTION]

People tempering your expectations calling a rookie an all-star after 1 summer league arent being negative, they are just trying to prevent the unnecessary over hyping of a player because we all know he will inevitably struggle, at least at points, during his rookie year. That has already happened and we had to deal with the Archies. The Archies are response to the premature over-hyping. With hype comes expectations and with expectations comes inevitable disappointment.

TLDR: Can't we all just enjoy a rookie without having to anoint him the savior after the first month?

Good point. But when I see a sure thing, I don’t hold back. And my enthusiasm has been confirmed. In any case with Hayward gone we needed something to get excited about.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

You got flack because you had the audacity to rock in here after summer league and start spewing garbage as if you were the one to discover Mitchell and everyone else was an idiot and hadnt caught on yet. Meanwhile the forum was half a dozen threads deap in DM love.

Last edited: