What's new

Mitchell outdoes Luka for NBA performance of the year

3 year is a long time. 3 years ago lakers was the best team in the nba and devin booker would've wanted out of Phoenix. long enough to turn things around. vando+kessler+olynyk+whoever we could've gotten with the 3 FRPs this year. we could put together a team with good defense/spacing for DM to take us to where we wanted.

I'm sorry but the Jazz were definitely not winning a championship in the next 3 years with Don, Vando, Kessler, Olynyk and whoever they got with this years 3 first round picks. Never would have made it past the second round.

Last edited:
First off, kudos to Mitchell for one of all time great performances. I just checked later parts of that game and he was absolutely carrying Cavs for the entire second half and both OTs, way more so than how Luka carried the Mavs in his historical game. Hard to say which performance is actually better though (1 OT vs 2 OT and Luka had 21 boards..)

However before people get too sad about trading him away, here is one astonishing fact related to that awesome outburst by Mitchell... he scored more points in that game than he has in his previous FOUR GAMES combined.

So his last 5 compared to Lauri:
Mitchell last 5 games - 28.2 PPG (on 43/35/75 shooting), 6.4 APG, 4.6 RPG, BPM -5.8 <-- NOTE this includes the 71/11/8
Lauri last 5 games - 29.4 PPG (on 51/39/97 shooting), 10.4 RPG, BPM +4.0

I'm not arguing Lauri is a better player since he isn't, but rather wanted to point out that Mitchell is still as inconsistent as we know him to be (remember the Mavs series last year and his 40/20/88 shooting splits?). Think about this:
Mitchell has 1 sub 10 point game and 6 additional sub 20 point games this season.
Luka has 1 sub 20 point game this season.

First off, kudos to Mitchell for one of all time great performances. I just checked later parts of that game and he was absolutely carrying Cavs for the entire second half and both OTs, way more so than how Luka carried the Mavs in his historical game. Hard to say which performance is actually better though (1 OT vs 2 OT and Luka had 21 boards..)

However before people get too sad about trading him away, here is one astonishing fact related to that awesome outburst by Mitchell... he scored more points in that game than he has in his previous FOUR GAMES combined.

So his last 5 compared to Lauri:
Mitchell last 5 games - 28.2 PPG (on 43/35/75 shooting), 6.4 APG, 4.6 RPG, BPM -5.8 <-- NOTE this includes the 71/11/8
Lauri last 5 games - 29.4 PPG (on 51/39/97 shooting), 10.4 RPG, BPM +4.0

I'm not arguing Lauri is a better player since he isn't, but rather wanted to point out that Mitchell is still as inconsistent as we know him to be (remember the Mavs series last year and his 40/20/88 shooting splits?). Think about this:
Mitchell has 1 sub 10 point game and 6 additional sub 20 point games this season.
Luka has 1 sub 20 point game this season.
Are you comparing him to Luka or Lauri? You said Lauri throughout the post and then randomly concluded that luka has 1 sub-20.

Just to round out the convo, Lauri has 12 sub-20s.

Don has been very strong all season. I find it pretty hard to argue that someone is inconsistent when they’re averaging 29/5/4 on 49/41/87 shooting for the entire season

Are you comparing him to Luka or Lauri? You said Lauri throughout the post and then randomly concluded that luka has 1 sub-20.
I'm not comparing him to either. I'm just pointing out things. People get so hyped about a game like this because they get caught up on these storylines. Its +1 win for the Cavs at the end of the day. And since DM will now be circling in the superstar convo so the comparison stick should be Luka (or any other superstar).
Don has been very strong all season. I find it pretty hard to argue that someone is inconsistent when they’re averaging 29/5/4 on 49/41/87 shooting for the entire season
Ok that is just a dumb comment, especially following what I wrote in my post. Consistency and averages are two entirely separate things. You can go 100% from the field on one game and 0% on the other... end up averaging 50% with absolutely no consistency.

I literally just said he had 71 points which eclipsed his last 4 games combined points... His averages for past 5 look nice and clean but when the points are 12, 15, 28, 15, 71 that is literally just about as inconsistent as a player can be.

I'm not comparing him to either. I'm just pointing out things. People get so hyped about a game like this because they get caught up on these storylines. Its +1 win for the Cavs at the end of the day. And since DM will now be circling in the superstar convo so the comparison stick should be Luka (or any other superstar).

Ok that is just a dumb comment, especially following what I wrote in my post. Consistency and averages are two entirely separate things. You can go 100% from the field on one game and 0% on the other... end up averaging 50% with absolutely no consistency.

I literally just said he had 71 points which eclipsed his last 4 games combined points... His averages for past 5 look nice and clean but when the points are 12, 15, 28, 15, 71 that is literally just about as inconsistent as a player can be.
The point is inconsistent players dont average 30ppg on good shooting over the course of the season.

To your own point you singled out a 5 game stretch when in totality 80% of his games have been >20pts. And he’s shooting 49/41/87% on the season.

That’s not inconsistent.

The point is inconsistent players dont average 30ppg on good shooting over the course of the season.

To your own point you singled out a 5 game stretch when in totality 80% of his games have been >20pts. And he’s shooting 49/41/87% on the season.

That’s not inconsistent.
Again. Explain how consistency and averages correlate? Consistency is about variance. which actually measures deviation from average. They have absolutely 0 correlation because 1 metric is measured by counting averages based on sums and other is measured by seeing how individual samples deviate from those said averages.

Just to highlight what I mean:
They actually played a double header against Chicago. First game Don was 6-15 from the field, 0-6 from 3 with 15 points, 6 assists 4 steals 3 rebounds and 7 turnovers. Pretty similar to yesterdays statline, yeah?

It's hard to argue that Mitchell has been anything short of amazing this season. I don't think we have seen this Mitchell since the bubble playoffs. I wish we could have got this Mitchell but it wasn't going to happen here. I'm still happy with the trade we got a player I really like and I love all the picks we can rebuild with. Let's also see what happens come playoffs or Cavs having some hardships after the honeymoon is over and let's also see if he stays there.

It's hard to argue that Mitchell has been anything short of amazing this season. I don't think we have seen this Mitchell since the bubble playoffs. I wish we could have got this Mitchell but it wasn't going to happen here. I'm still happy with the trade we got a player I really like and I love all the picks we can rebuild with. Let's also see what happens come playoffs or Cavs having some hardships after the honeymoon is over and let's also see if he stays there.
Bubble mitchel was classic. 57 and 51 points and went head to head with Murray who also dropped 50. So it's not surprising. High scoring all-star guard.

Bubble mitchel was classic. 57 and 51 points and went head to head with Murray who also dropped 50. So it's not surprising. High scoring all-star guard.
Yeah but thats another proof of his consistency issues. He had those monster games in that series against Denver but what happened in game 7?

Again. Explain how consistency and averages correlate? Consistency is about variance. which actually measures deviation from average. They have absolutely 0 correlation because 1 metric is measured by counting averages based on sums and other is measured by seeing how individual samples deviate from those said averages.

Just to highlight what I mean:
They actually played a double header against Chicago. First game Don was 6-15 from the field, 0-6 from 3 with 15 points, 6 assists 4 steals 3 rebounds and 7 turnovers. Pretty similar to yesterdays statline, yeah?
The averages and cumulative data both suggest he’s been pretty damn consistent lol. You’re acting like he’s going out and laying eggs 50% of the time, and big numbers are swaying the averages... but if you look at the volume, He’s only had one game all season in single figure scoring, and <20% of his games have been <20.

That 4 game stretch you referenced prior to the all-time performance game, is literally the only sequence of multiple bad games in a row he’s had all year (and one of those 4 games he had 28/6/4)

he’s had more than double as many >30pt games (17) as he’s had <20pt games (7). And 4 times as many (27) games of >20 (80% of his games played)

He scored 25 or more in 15 of his first 18 games.

He’s shot <40% in only 8 games total.

And has career highs in nearly every statistical category, including defensive metrics,

When you score 20+ on good shooting in 80% of your games, and 30+ in 50% of your games… you have not been inconsistent lol. Not sure what else there is to say. Sour grapes I guess.

Donovan has definitely been more efficient scoring this year but that’s really about it.

Per 36 stats last year:

27.5 PPG, 5.7 APG, 4.7 RPG, 1.6 SPG

21.9 FGA per game on 44.8%

Per 36 stats this year:

28.7 PPG, 4.7 APG, 3.8 RPG, 1.4 SPG

20.2 FGA per game on 49.2%

Yeah but thats another proof of his consistency issues. He had those monster games in that series against Denver but what happened in game 7?
We only lost by 2 and even Murray didn't shoot well. But all through out that series DM was great. Let's wait and see what Lauri can do when we reach the playoff. Then we compare their stats.