What's new

Mitchell outdoes Luka for NBA performance of the year

Yeah but thats another proof of his consistency issues. He had those monster games in that series against Denver but what happened in game 7?
He ran out of energy and his shot was off. That doesn't make him inconsistent. Unless by your definition every basketball player is inconsistent that is a scorer.

Donovan has definitely been more efficient scoring this year but that’s really about it.

Per 36 stats last year:

27.5 PPG, 5.7 APG, 4.7 RPG, 1.6 SPG

21.9 FGA per game on 44.8%

Per 36 stats this year:

28.7 PPG, 4.7 APG, 3.8 RPG, 1.4 SPG

20.2 FGA per game on 49.2%

I may be in the minority, but I thought he was very consistent last year too. He's just getting more reps and minutes this year, and the numbers show it.

I think his occasional woes in the playoffs were less a consistency issue and more of a "he got shut down" issue without having other options on the team to compensate offensively.

The averages and cumulative data both suggest he’s been pretty damn consistent lol. You’re acting like he’s going out and laying eggs 50% of the time, and big numbers are swaying the averages... but if you look at the volume, He’s only had one game all season in single figure scoring, and <20% of his games have been <20.

That 4 game stretch you referenced prior to the all-time performance game, is literally the only sequence of multiple bad games in a row he’s had all year (and one of those 4 games he had 28/6/4)

he’s had more than double as many >30pt games (17) as he’s had <20pt games (7). And 4 times as many (27) games of >20 (80% of his games played)

He scored 25 or more in 15 of his first 18 games.

He’s shot <40% in only 8 games total.

And has career highs in nearly every statistical category, including defensive metrics,

When you score 20+ on good shooting in 80% of your games, and 30+ in 50% of your games… you have not been inconsistent lol. Not sure what else there is to say. Sour grapes I guess.
"Average and cumulative stats"... dude for real? Average = cumulative stats divided by number of samples. For consistency reference, you should be using terms like "variance", "standard deviation", "percentile" etc. I guess you are not a math guy.

Here is the number of sub 20 point games by the top 10 scorers in the league. Only one of those other guys has a sub 10 game (Ja).. where he was ejected after just 16 minutes. Notice how NO ONE ELSE above the age of 24 has more than 3 stinkers (in relation to their normal production)... except for Don.
Luka 1
Embiid 2
Giannis 3
Tatum 4
SGA 3
KD 2
Don 7
Lebron 2
Ja 6
Trae 6

And to make matters worse... if we set the bar to 15 points or less. its Don 6 - all others 9 (out of which 4 belong to the youngest guy).. since most of those guys sub 20 games are actually 18 or 19 point games.
Luka 0
Embiid 1
Giannis 0
Tatum 1
SGA 1
KD 1
Don 6
Lebron 0
Ja 4
Trae 1

It's hard to argue that Mitchell has been anything short of amazing this season. I don't think we have seen this Mitchell since the bubble playoffs. I wish we could have got this Mitchell but it wasn't going to happen here. I'm still happy with the trade we got a player I really like and I love all the picks we can rebuild with. Let's also see what happens come playoffs or Cavs having some hardships after the honeymoon is over and let's also see if he stays there.

This.
If any of the seasons donovan was with utah were like this season with the cavs we wouldnt have traded him.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Donovan has definitely been more efficient scoring this year but that’s really about it.

Per 36 stats last year:

27.5 PPG, 5.7 APG, 4.7 RPG, 1.6 SPG

21.9 FGA per game on 44.8%

Per 36 stats this year:

28.7 PPG, 4.7 APG, 3.8 RPG, 1.4 SPG

20.2 FGA per game on 49.2%
the efficiency improvement is a huge deal. from 57% TS to 63%. basically going from about average TS% to elite for somebody at his volume.

I'm happy for Don... feeling a little sour grapes that we didn't get his best effort last year and how pouty the team was in general when they had a shot if they truly locked in. It had run its course here so we are better off.

The team that has to be kicking themselves is the Knicks. They had a shot and just got so hung up on the price. Good luck finding something more worthy of your draft capital. Don can make all-nba and sign a supermax extension at some point... may never truly be a FA and the price in trade won't be less than they could have had him for this offseason.

Are you comparing him to Luka or Lauri? You said Lauri throughout the post and then randomly concluded that luka has 1 sub-20.

Just to round out the convo, Lauri has 12 sub-20s.

Don has been very strong all season. I find it pretty hard to argue that someone is inconsistent when they’re averaging 29/5/4 on 49/41/87 shooting for the entire season
I don’t follow him that closely but he’s obviously been amazing this year for the most part. The announcers did refer to the shooting slump he’d been in for the previous two or three games however.

You think he was off the line before his shot drew metal? Looked extremely close to me. But whatever, the degree of difficulty on that maneuver was just off the charts!
No, I know he was. Clearly across the line before it was close to rim or backboard. Pic attached. Ball is behind the word "shot" from the video while Mitchell is already fighting his way through the lane.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230103_110701_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230103_110701_Chrome.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
No, I know he was. Clearly across the line before it was close to rim or backboard. Pic attached. Ball is behind the word "shot" from the video while Mitchell is already fighting his way through the lane.
I can’t find the ball in the pic so I’ll just have to take you at your word. I will say however that if you’re expecting the league to tow the line regarding adherence to the rules in clutch time, particularly regarding an infraction by the home team, I think you will be disappointed. The way that Davion Mitchell threw Sexton to the floor on the final play to prevent a tip in on the Markkanen miss was excessive and egregious imo and again, as always regarding home team prejudice, no call.

the efficiency improvement is a huge deal. from 57% TS to 63%. basically going from about average TS% to elite for somebody at his volume.

I can see that dropping as we’re only a little over 40% of the way into the season. Your point is understood though.

Markkanen is top-8 in the league in TS% next to guys like Jokic/Durant/Curry. Extremely impressive.

I also wanted to point out that if Lauri was playing like this with Cleveland there is zero shot they trade him plus 3 unprotected first plus two pick swaps for Mitchell.

I can’t find the ball in the pic so I’ll just have to take you at your word. I will say however that if you’re expecting the league to tow the line regarding adherence to the rules in clutch time, particularly regarding an infraction by the home team, I think you will be disappointed. The way that Davion Mitchell threw Sexton to the floor on the final play to prevent a tip in on the Markkanen miss was excessive and egregious imo and again, as always regarding home team prejudice, no call.
Over the years, I have seen them consistently call lane violations in this situation, though that situation is rare. I watched them do it to Aaron Brooks, which had to be over 10 years ago. I know I have seen it a few other times too.

Over the years, I have seen them consistently call lane violations in this situation, though that situation is rare. I watched them do it to Aaron Brooks, which had to be over 10 years ago. I know I have seen it a few other times too.
Normal lane violations are one thing certainly but you’re correct in putting this situation in the very rare category. To be honest, just the set up alone (hitting the rim without making it) is so difficult it Is botched more often than not. I just feel like NBA refs have a real tendency to swallow their whistle in the closing seconds of tight games maybe even more so when all eyes are on the rim to ensure the legitimacy of the first stipulation.

PS Just watched it again and you’re correct in saying that he broke the plane slightly before the ball hit the rim.

Last edited:
If you score 71 point and down 3 with seconds left. Something is wrong.

Is amazing game, no doubt of it is.
2 starters : Garland is hurt ,Mobley is hurt,both arguably fringe all NBA players, is what was wrong. Mitchell got a lot more usage from what they are saying, than his normal usage with Garland playing. They still barely won the game missing Mobley's defense against a tumbling Bulls team, that couldn't hit anything down the stretch with plenty of good looks. But that does not change anything about what Mitchell did, given his efficiency and clutch gene was the determining factor here.
He will never have another game like it. Kudos to him, for immediately crediting his team in the post game, for their efforts and setting him up.
He seems to have become a lot more of a team guy in Cleveland than he ever used to be.
The hitch is we are going to be getting bad late firsts from them instead of good picks if he continues to like being there.

Watch some Cavs games and interviews, doesn't seem much different than when a Jazz man. Always credit team with Jazz and put blame on self. Gobert always blame team not self.