What's new

Mixed Martial Arts / UFC

Contrary to rumours going around, Lyoto Machida is not retiring.

The 37-year-old lightweight received a serious beating at the hands -- maybe elbows is more apropos -- of Yoel Romero last weekend at UFC Fight Night 70. Machida underwent nasal surgery earlier this week and had his manager Ed Soares squashing rumours claiming the Brazilian would be looking for another line of work.

Soares told UFC Tonight his fighter won't be retiring and looks to get back in the ring after getting knocked unconscious by Romero. Machida might sport an impressive 22-7 record but has lost three of his last four fights, including a second-round submission at the hands of Luke Rockhold at UFC on FOX 15 back in April.

never been castrated but a bruised/broken rib hurts everytime you breath. cant imagine castration being worse :p

Um.

OooooooooooooooooKaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay......

Thanks for that update on Lyoto! He just hasn't looked good lately.

personally i think whenever a fighter after he turns 35 loses 3 out of 4 fights he should retire or fight fighters who also lost 3 of 4 since turning 35.

so in this case lyoto vs rua 3 or vs hendo, vs lil nog.

because people still like to see some of them. but fighting young dudes at top of their game is damaging to their brain.
btw lyoto is 1 of the few brazilian fighters i can root for. mostly because he has the classic respectful japanese style

personally i think whenever a fighter after he turns 35 loses 3 out of 4 fights he should retire or fight fighters who also lost 3 of 4 since turning 35.

because people still like to see some of them. but fighting young dudes at top of their game is damaging to their brain.
btw lyoto is 1 of the few brazilian fighters i can root for. mostly because he has the classic respectful japanese style

It's an interesting perspective and I would have to think about it but as you know, when ego is involved and personal determination this viewpoint is probably in the minority.

I'm assuming you hate McGregor because of his antics but what say you in this upcoming match? Do you think he'll be competitive against Mendes? Also, if Mendes loses will you be butthurt?

good that pos connor doesnt deserve the title shot. he beat nobody currently in the top 10

I couldn't agree more. While I'm pissed that Aldo is out, again, I will take plenty of joy watching Mendes rip him a new *** hole. I loathe McGreggor with a molten fury.

ever had a bruised/fractured rib?

Oh dear Satan, yes, and it was the worst injury I've ever had. I broke my bottom two ribs when one of our Judo guys tossed my on my *** and came down knee-on-belly with the full force of the throw. So much pain. That was maybe 18 months ago and the knot of bone that protrudes from my ribcage is still very sensitive to the touch, and still hurts if I get even slightly poked around it. Worst. Injury. Ever.

Disagree with your first statement. While I hate seeing my favorite fighters go out getting their faces/minds destroyed, it's their life and their body. Can you imagine if Hendo, Coture, Arlovski, Fedor, etc. were forced to retire, or forced to fight inferior competition? Let the fighters, their families, and their managers decide when it's time to hang 'em up.

Your last statement about Machida is a good one though -- he is just about the only Brazilian that I can cheer for on a regular basis.

It's an interesting perspective and I would have to think about it but as you know, when ego is involved and personal determination this viewpoint is probably in the minority.

I'm assuming you hate McGregor because of his antics but what say you in this upcoming match? Do you think he'll be competitive against Mendes? Also, if Mendes loses will you be butthurt?

yes i started out with judo, so yeah disrespecting your opponent was not an option. remember getting in a fight with some fellow student outside before training started. all cus we felt disrespected by eachother. the next few trainings we where not allowed on the matt we had to do different punishments which we heavily used to rely on eachother. like 1 of us would be extremely out of balance only way to not fall down was the other guy holding you. the Japanese martial arts respect is highly touted.
so needless to say "disrespectful" fighters disgust me. like anderson silva dancing. and all these conor mcgregor antics.

now as off skills i seriously dont know how he will do against chad mendes. and what chad mendes shows up

chad mendes is an extraordinary wrestler. he is an extraordinary martial artist, who is basically unbeaten( 17-2 losing only to jose aldo)
since his first jose aldo loss chad mendes hasn't really been using his wrestling 5 out of his 6 wins have been due to tko.
if i had to put my money on this fight i would need to know what chad mendes is gonna show up. if its the wrestling mendes i have seen nothing from conor that would tell me he would beat a wrestlers. so unless conor has some aces up his sleeve and has great defensive wrestling. i think he loses by GNP decision or submission

but if mendes for whatever reason(maybe a pre fight bonus from uncle dana) decides to strike with conor with a 10+inch reach difference i am pretty sure it will lead to a mcgreggor win. probably a decision.

if mendes wins or loses i wont be butthurt, i am neutral toward mendes. and i just ignore mcgregor because that's how the best way to treat disrespect so i have no feelings towards him winning or losing. the beauty of this world is with all on demand video foxsports netherlands, youtube and ufc fightpass is i can skip all this mcgregor out of fight antics.

so wont have any feelings toward the result. ok i am lying i would seriously laugh at the ufc if conor loses they even have a reebok champion mcgreggor jersey. and would feel bad for aldo because fighting mendes again would mean he is losing out on the conor payday. it might also be last fight for conor in that weight class because of the new iv ban. but no buuthurt.

i will be buthurt if robbie lawler loses :p

yes i started out with judo, so yeah disrespecting your opponent was not an option. remember getting in a fight with some fellow student outside before training started. all cus we felt disrespected by eachother. the next few trainings we where not allowed on the matt we had to do different punishments which we heavily used to rely on eachother. like 1 of us would be extremely out of balance only way to not fall down was the other guy holding you. the Japanese martial arts respect is highly touted.
so needless to say "disrespectful" fighters disgust me. like anderson silva dancing. and all these conor mcgregor antics.

now as off skills i seriously dont know how he will do against chad mendes. and what chad mendes shows up

chad mendes is an extraordinary wrestler. he is an extraordinary martial artist, who is basically unbeaten( 17-2 losing only to jose aldo)
since his first jose aldo loss chad mendes hasn't really been using his wrestling 5 out of his 6 wins have been due to tko.
if i had to put my money on this fight i would need to know what chad mendes is gonna show up. if its the wrestling mendes i have seen nothing from conor that would tell me he would beat a wrestlers. so unless conor has some aces up his sleeve and has great defensive wrestling. i think he loses by GNP decision or submission

but if mendes for whatever reason(maybe a pre fight bonus from uncle dana) decides to strike with conor with a 10+inch reach difference i am pretty sure it will lead to a mcgreggor win. probably a decision.

if mendes wins or loses i wont be butthurt, i am neutral toward mendes. and i just ignore mcgregor because that's how the best way to treat disrespect so i have no feelings towards him winning or losing. the beauty of this world is with all on demand video foxsports netherlands, youtube and ufc fightpass is i can skip all this mcgregor out of fight antics.

so wont have any feelings toward the result. ok i am lying i would seriously laugh at the ufc if conor loses they even have a reebok champion mcgreggor jersey. and would feel bad for aldo because fighting mendes again would mean he is losing out on the conor payday. it might also be last fight for conor in that weight class because of the new iv ban. but no buuthurt.

i will be buthurt if robbie lawler loses :p

Yeah, man, I get it. I understand the view your watching the fights from and can appreciate the discipline and the meta part of fighting. You won't see me talking **** in that regard. I don't mind the antics, as I realize that these guys also have to sell the fight... The fighting window is only open so long and most of these careers are short, reletively speaking, so they want to make as much money as they can. I don't have a problem with that.

In regards to the MvM match, what say you in respect to McG training for Aldo and then two weeks before the fight having to completely re-think his approach. I mean, Mendes is a completely different fighter than Aldo.

Disagree with your first statement. While I hate seeing my favorite fighters go out getting their faces/minds destroyed, it's their life and their body. Can you imagine if Hendo, Coture, Arlovski, Fedor, etc. were forced to retire, or forced to fight inferior competition? Let the fighters, their families, and their managers decide when it's time to hang 'em up.
their families and managers should make that decision.
but i think these fighters don't do any risk management, their ego or financial reasons get in the way.
heck how many times during training your ego gets in the way and you make stupid decisions :p

but i think these fighters don't do any risk management, their ego or financial reasons get in the way.
heck how many times during training your ego gets in the way and you make stupid decisions :p

I still remember GSP saying after a match, there were a "FEW MINUTES" during the match where he blacked out! No wonder he vacated.

Yeah, man, I get it. I understand the view your watching the fights from and can appreciate the discipline and the meta part of fighting. You won't see me talking **** in that regard. I don't mind the antics, as I realize that these guys also have to sell the fight... The fighting window is only open so long and most of these careers are short, reletively speaking, so they want to make as much money as they can. I don't have a problem with that.

In regards to the MvM match, what say you in respect to McG training for Aldo and then two weeks before the fight having to completely re-think his approach. I mean, Mendes is a completely different fighter than Aldo.

yes, i like that part of not having (enough) time to prepare for your opponent. that's how it was back in the day you train and u show up think on your feet.
also mendes has even less time preparing for a fight.
ofcourse if mcgregor has 6 months preparing for mendes or edgar, it would have been a different fight.

yes ofcourse he has to rethink it, aldo would have been fine to stand and bang. but i still think connor trained some take-down defense. because you would have to be prepared if you hit aldo hard enough(rock him :p) it would turn him into a wrestler.

dont think conor could have had enough prep time. as 2 weeks out training stops and weight-cutting starts. i like these figths best just person a fighting person b without(or as minimal) prep and strategy.

Neither do coal miners, rock climbers, any/all extreme sport athletes; why draw the line with MMA? As for my training, the only time I've let my "ego" (if you can call it that) was when I got my ribs broken. I got cocky on a top back mount and pretended I was riding a bucking bronco, sound effects and all. That's when he decided that he wasn't playing, got up, and pounded me into the ground. That was a good lesson to learn, and one I've remembered well.

Report: Conor McGregor Needs to Drop 27 Pounds Ahead of UFC 189

UFC featherweight title contender Conor McGregor is walking into the fight of his life at UFC 189. As MMA fans know, however, a big fight is almost certainly preceded by a big weight cut. Former three-time UFC title contender and fellow weight-cutting champ Chael Sonnen recently appeared on The Jim Rome Show to discuss McGregor's weight cut and his matchup with Chad Mendes.

"He's a very big guy. I was impressed with how big he is," Sonnen said (h/t LowkickMMA.com for the transcription). "I was like, 'Conor, what do you weigh?' He said, 'I'm around 172 pounds.' He's got to be 145 pounds in eight days."

Extreme weight cutting is a common practice in most combat sports, with athletes often shedding dozens of pounds over the course of a few weeks in order to make rigid weight limits. Fighters requiring hospitalization (like Kelvin Gastelum or Henry Cejudo) or even dying (like Leandro Souza) is not unheard of, as they subsist on meager rations and spend hours each day in saunas or on stationary bicycles.

Absurd anecdotes and alarming statistics are the norm for MMA. Chael Sonnen lost 20 pounds in under 24 hours ahead of his UFC 148 rematch with Anderson Silva. Paul Redmond was tasked with losing 36 pounds in 13 days for a short-notice bout at UFC on Fox 14. Ian McCall once weighed in at 125 pounds in the afternoon and over 150 before going to bed.

For McGregor—and almost any other fighter—those weight cuts can translate into a huge size advantage in the cage, which allows the Irish southpaw to snipe opponents with rangy punches. Against Mendes, who competed at 125 pounds for part of his collegiate wrestling career, McGregor will own a whopping 8-inch reach advantage, which could be a difference-maker in the striking and grappling departments.

Dropping 27 pounds within a matter of days may seem like an impossibly tall order, but McGregor has dropped down to "championship weight" in the past, making the firm 145-pound weight limit that featherweight title fights require. He boasted about doing so at his most recent fight against Dennis Siver in January, saying at UFC Fight Night 59 weigh-ins, "That's 1-4-5, that's championship weight. Tell Jose [Aldo] I'm coming."

McGregor faces Mendes on July 11 and will weigh in Friday. Circle back to Bleacher Report for our coverage of the event as it unfolds.

reason why the new IV ban is postponed from july 1 to October :p so ufc can milk Connor for this big payday.