What's new

More Important REAL CENTER or WING SCORER?

More Important REAL CENTER OR WING SCORER?

• Real Center (Clogs lane)

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Wing Scorer

Votes: 34 75.6%

• Total voters

Twin Towers

Which is more important this off-season. Getting a real center who CLOGS THE LANE on defense or getting a wing scorer who we can depend on nightly.

Keep in mind that we have lost a lot of games this season even when we had scoring at the wing positions. From Hayward and Miles and AK and we still lost. We also shot 10-15 from the 3 point line last night and still lost.

I personally think defense is the main problem. Especially when we let the Wolves score 122 on us. I do think not having a wing scorer is a problem, But I don't think getting a wing scorer fixes the main problem on this team.

Explain which one and why?

I think Al/Favors are fine. So a good wing who can shoot, easily.

Next year or the year after when the lock out ends the Jazz need:
a Wing scorrer in the draft. Spend money on a defensive center.

The Jazz should try to get both, but I think more than anything, at this stage, the Jazz need a go-to scorer, a potential game-changing superstar regardless of position. If the Jazz can add another star around Jefferson and Favors, with Hayward as a glue guy, Millsap as a sixth man and Miles as an attempt at instant offense off the bench, the team can fill in the other blanks with a designated shooter, designated rebounder or designated playmaker one way or another.

I don't think you can quite say, "This is Devin Harris' team," or "This is Al Jefferson's team." The Jazz need to find a new identity. They aren't put together well enough at this stage to draft exclusively for position. They HAVE to draft BPA and try to get a superstar, because no team is going to trade Utah a superstar, and it's unlikely that Utah will attract one as an expensive FA.

As much as Barnes is a nice player, I think his upside is limited--like a Rashard Lewis or Allan Houston--and so I'd consider passing on him in favor of a guy like Derrick Williams, Jan Vesely, or someone else who can create a match-up nightmare for the other team and really change the game. If Enes Kanter turns out to be a Turkish Demarcus Cousins, I might go that route. You can always build around two bigs--like the Spurs did with Robinson/Duncan, or the Lakers did with Gasol/Bynum.

At this point, you take the BPA in the draft. No one on this team, including Jefferson, is good enough to be built around.

The Jazz should try to get both, but I think more than anything, at this stage, the Jazz need a go-to scorer, a potential game-changing superstar regardless of position. If the Jazz can add another star around Jefferson and Favors, with Hayward as a glue guy, Millsap as a sixth man and Miles as an attempt at instant offense off the bench, the team can fill in the other blanks with a designated shooter, designated rebounder or designated playmaker one way or another.

I don't think you can quite say, "This is Devin Harris' team," or "This is Al Jefferson's team." The Jazz need to find a new identity. They aren't put together well enough at this stage to draft exclusively for position. They HAVE to draft BPA and try to get a superstar, because no team is going to trade Utah a superstar, and it's unlikely that Utah will attract one as an expensive FA.

As much as Barnes is a nice player, I think his upside is limited--like a Rashard Lewis or Allan Houston--and so I'd consider passing on him in favor of a guy like Derrick Williams, Jan Vesely, or someone else who can create a match-up nightmare for the other team and really change the game. If Enes Kanter turns out to be a Turkish Demarcus Cousins, I might go that route. You can always build around two bigs--like the Spurs did with Robinson/Duncan, or the Lakers did with Gasol/Bynum.

We have two draft picks if we don't make the playoffs.

We need a point guard/creator and we need a shooter/scorer/finisher on the wing. The draft is really heavy on PF's. So we might take one in the expectation of making an Millsap/Favors/Jefferson Trade.

BPA, of course.

I like Barnes (who doesn't after today's game?) but I too don't know if he's a super stud. I think he's a smart player who can be clutch - I mean, the only knock is he might not be top tier stud like everyone thought he'd be. Still should be really good.

But I also like Kanter. Jazz had to give up their best player to get unproven size in Favors. It's hard to pass up Kanter.

I'm not so interested in a top tier PG. Just a really good one. Send Devin Harris to be tutored by Stockton over the summer. That should be better than Derek Fisher (not a top tier PG and yet has how many rings? ...ugh).

I don't know about Texas' Hamilton. I like that he's been running in the Jazz' offense down there in Texas. I guess that's a nice consolation prize. Which would you prefer with the Jazz' 12-14 pick: Hamilton or Jimmer?

As long as Kanter stays healthy, he should be a Top-5 rebounder in the NBA, a guy you can count on to box out, get boards and use his body inside. That alone would take a lot of pressure off our front court and improve our defense several points. Then Favors, Jefferson or AK could roam a bit and take more chances on defense. If Kanter can score inside and suck in the defense, that's even better. It's also worth seeing how Ante Tomic is doing. He's had enough time to develop into something. It's time to fish or cut bait on that one.

I like Derrick Williams and Jan Vesely as long wings who can put the ball on the floor and finish inside. Since we have Favors, unless there's a PF that looks just stellar, I'd go for a versatile upside wing who can play both inside and out. Like AK who isn't chicken s***, can score, draw a double team and make a great pass. That requires elite athleticism and competitiveness. I think Terrence Jones has that potential too, but hasn't fulfilled it yet.

If all we're looking for is an Aaron Afflalo or Anthony Morrow-type shooter at the wing, I think we don't necessarily go to the lottery for that. I think we can get a free agent or put Gordon Hayward in that role.

As much as we debate it, I think Jimmer Fredette is on the Jazz's radar. He looks like Stockton the way he pulls up for jumpers, as well as his poise and non-stop competitiveness. No, he's not Irving, but he could be a borderline All Star and could look like a good PG if he has people to pass to. He only gives up one inch compared to Deron Williams and has the heart to apply himself all game.

Jimmer's a really likable guy, so it would be cool if he could become a good passer. He's not a wing or a center though so Jimmer would have to be with the second pick.

In spite of the losing ways these days I'm sure excited about the jazz. I love researching prospects. I love the draft. (although this last draft day was one of the worst days of my life. -- I've tasted a little bit of crow since then but not as much as I'd like).

jimmer is a nice guy but i heard his defense is atrocious. However, if he can make his own offense during the games and become a threat from half court that would be awesome. Everybody would be staring at him and he can easily pass it to Al or Favors. I hope his b-ball IQ is really high.

Sap, Favors, AJ is a logjam at PF/wanna-be center. Move one or 2 of them for a legit center and add other pieces to get a legit wing.

Yes that's right I want it all!

We need a genuine big to anchor our D and rebounding, not a PF playing as an undersized centre - whether Jefferson this season, or Okur previous years. I think that is more important than wing scoring. Hayward has shown signs of being a decent wing player, exactly why we persist in playing Raja instead of him (or at all) mystifies me.

I agree with catchall. We need a game-changer and Derrick Williams can definitely be that guy imo. If not him, go after Barnes. Do I like Irving? Sure. But he's played only 10 games or so and we already have a capable point guard. We don't have capable wings and this is a league where wings win the rings. Or at least more than quick point guards.

Sap, Favors, AJ is a logjam at PF/wanna-be center. Move one or 2 of them for a legit center and add other pieces to get a legit wing.

Yes that's right I want it all!

Glad to see at least some people understand basketball fundamentals. With Milwaukee looking like they will need a full rebuild, Bogut will be on the market. If I'm KOC I offer Millsap or Jefferson + our pick for Mr Bogut's defensive services. They have Larry Sanders to take over at center so might just bite. The wing can be addressed with the #12 pick (Burks or Leonard), or with Golden States pick next year.

BPA is going to be tricky in this weak draft. I agree we should do this no matter the position, but this draft is going to be tough.
If we do get another 4 we could trade the player or Sap/Al for a good wing if offered. The options will be there if we do
take the best talent available when our pick comes up.

a complete swingman, and it's not even close. It'd be nice if we could also take a stab at a big rebounding C, but this player might be found via trade or free agency (MLE), and would only be expected to play ~20min or less a night.