What's new

Motum offered contract

Hitman

A "source" claims Motum has been offered a partially-guaranteed contract.

The Utah Jazz have formally extended Australian forward Brock Motum an offer for a partially guaranteed contract, according to NBA Australia's Angus Crawford.
The Brisbane native impressed Utah's coaching staff, representing the Jazz's Summer League squad in both Salt Lake City and Las Vegas. Motum recorded averages of 8.2 points and 3.9 rebounds per game, while shooting 43.3 percent from the field in his eight appearances.
Motum inked a non-guaranteed deal with the franchise prior to the 2014-15 season, having earned the faith of Jazz officials in last year's event in Las Vegas.
The floor-spacing forward last played for the Adelaide 36ers in the NBL, finishing with averages of 17.5 points and 7.1 rebounds. Prior to his stint in Australia, Motum played for Granarolo Bologna in Italy.
Should Motum sign with the Jazz, he will become the third Australian on the roster, with Danté Exum and Joe Ingles already calling Utah home.
Motum will soon link up with his Australian Boomers teammates for a training camp in Croatia, as they prepare for the 2015 FIBA Oceania Championships in August.

LINK

This and I thought his summer league was underwhelming to say the least.

Yeah if anything he actually performed better last year and we didn't offer him the contract... so yeah makes you think whether this has anything to do with the acquisition of Idaho Stampede?

I have a feeling guys like Neto, Cotton, and now Motum, are destined to spend significant time there.

Surprising. I'm wondering how much is guaranteed. Perhaps the FO wants to take a closer look during training camp and then have the ability to include him in a trade or just release him before his contract becomes fully-guaranteed. Pretty sure this means Cooley is done.

Surprising. I'm wondering how much is guaranteed. Perhaps the FO wants to take a closer look during training camp and then have the ability to include him in a trade or just release him before his contract becomes fully-guaranteed. Pretty sure this means Cooley is done.

I dunno what DL was expecting out of Cooley.. he never looked to me like an NBA player.

To me JaJuan Johnson has more potential and we never hear much about him.

This secures him for training camp(if he signs). It's partially guaranteed, so he could be cut before the season starts... It means close to nothing when it comes to any of our other players.

I expect it will be the same as last season - basically a training camp invite, then he'll go play somewhere else.

Also would expect a couple of our other Summer Leaguers get similar offers.

he won't make the real team, but it is obvious the FO wants serious competition in camp. Pleis, Lyles, Booker and Motum will all be duking it out, hopefully bringing out the best in all of them.

Hood and Burks will be competing hard for that starting gig. Whoever doesn't win it is likely going to be in serious contention for league 6th man award.

Exum is the assumed starter, but he'll have 3 ankle biters nipping at his heels/fighting amongst themselves.

No problem with this - Motum is a decent end of bench guy . More than likely he's back down under come November.

Wow... haven't we already got enough players?

LOL ...
We need 18-20 for training camp and have 2 roster spots open. There's a good chance DL/QS are debating over Cooley or Motum as their last big (I think Jerrett will be waived). Cooley is a banger and rebounder, but has few other skills. Motum is much more talented offensively. And the other final spot may come down to Johnson vs. Millsap. That's assuming Utah keeps 4 PG's.

Motum is good enough to sign with a Euro team. Maybe this keeps him around through training camp.

Folks... Jazz did this last year. Don't get too excited about it.

Wait... No!!! THE SKY IS FALLING. AHHHHHHHH!!!

Sheesh.

This is an insurance policy against an injury. It creates competition for players who are on the outside fringe looking in to go out and win a spot. It also keeps a player we would be comfortable keeping on the roster in our camp and not someone else's. Motum didn't have the best summer league, but he fills a need more than Cooley. Trades can still happen between now and October and there may be multiple spots to be had. Motum has got to be Adam *****'s nephew because they play a similar game. He is Jazz material. Let's get see what he does between now and October.