What's new

My daughter running a timed 40 yard dash

Ran a 8.8 today. Virtually no improvement in six months. But she had played at a park for a couple hours right beforehand, she’s so damn little and hasn’t grown much at all the last six months and it’s fairly cold out which isn’t good for sprinting. If she has a little growth spurt, I’m thinking she runs around an 8.3 in the summer time before she turns six.

The AAU record is supposedly a 7.7 for a five year old.

Might be time to start withholding food and affection to really push her over the top.

...and yesterday, the day before her 3rd birthday, I had her run it again. 13.31 seconds which is rounded up to 13.40. That would be about 13.55 FA.

So I just timed my son for the first time ever. He’s 3 years and 2.2 months old so I didn’t do it just before his 3rd birthday like I’ve done with my daughter before birthdays. But he ran a 12.8 40 on crappy grass with his big winter jacket on. I’m guessing he could run a 12.5 in good weather on a track. So he might be almost a second faster at almost the same age as my daughter. Cool beans.

My third’s 2nd birthday is in late May. Excited to time her just before she turns 2 as I think she’s gotten a little fast all of a sudden. The oldest ran 19.0 as an old 1 year old.

Okay, folks. I took my daughter out yesterday for her annual running of the 40 yard dash. For the first time, I brought my three year old son. He doesn’t turn 4 until December. FWIW, neither is a big child for their respective age (they’re always around 50th percentile in height) and therefore has no physical advantage over kids at the same age. Other than having my phenomenal ****ing genes of course.

They each ran the 40, staggering back and forth, with my daughter going first, then my son, and so forth. Below are their times as follows:

Daughter: 8.3
Son: 10.1
D: 8.2
S: 9.9
D: 8.1
S: 9.8
D: 8.1
S: 9.8

Keep in mind this is fairly inexact. I’m great with a watch. But I’m not starting the watch until I see them start. So, so far as fully automatic times go like they do in the NFL combines or Olympics, I’d add 0.2-0.4 to this for more exact times.

That said, we were all excited. This is the first time I’ve ever done it with my son and his 9.8 seconds is only 0.6 seconds behind what my eldest ran as an old 4 year, 16 months older than he is now. Boys generally run faster but not that much faster, at this age. So this is pretty cool.

Next summer, I’m thinking 7.2 for my daughter. If I can get my son in on the track on a warmer day in December (50 degrees) right before his birthday, I’ll try I guess. He should be able to run around 9.0-9.2 four months from now which makes me think he might be able to run sub 8.0 seconds next summer as a 4 year old.

We’ve been bums too the last few months. Too much tv. The wife’s worked a lot and the youngest (2 year old) has been a nightmare at times—good times. So yeah, they haven’t been as active as they typically are imo. So some growth spurts (I’m 6’2” and the wife is 5’7”) and more activity should help.

Let’s go!

So I just timed my son for the first time ever. He’s 3 years and 2.2 months old so I didn’t do it just before his 3rd birthday like I’ve done with my daughter before birthdays. But he ran a 12.8 40 on crappy grass with his big winter jacket on. I’m guessing he could run a 12.5 in good weather on a track. So he might be almost a second faster at almost the same age as my daughter. Cool beans.

Forgot about this. Yeah, crappy grass and a big jacket is no bueno.

Just brought the kids to the track. The youngest peed all over it at the end which was funny. Anyway, I’m blown away.

My oldest didn’t look fast to me. I think she’s slightly awkward and mechanical. Anyway, she ran a 6.7 twice. That’s an improvement of 1.4 seconds from last year.

My son who is four and doesn’t turn 5 until December ran a 7.4. I knew he was fast but damn. I looked up the world championship and saw some results from 2016 in which a five year old won with a time of 9.38 seconds in the 55 meters. If my son grows (he’s below average in height now and Im 6’2” and the wife is 5’7”) and he just naturally improves he will likely be running a sub 6.0 40 as a five year old. Which would equate to about a 9.0 for 55 meters. Pretty cool. He said he wants to play football next year which excites me as it’s my favorite sport so we’ll have him start flag or something.

My youngest who’s a young 3 and a future AA regular ran a 10.5. Whatever.

Okay, so here are their times over the years…

Oldest daughter
As old 1 year old: 19.0
2 year old: 13.3
3 year old: 10.7
4 year old: 8.1
5 year old: 6.7 (didn’t look fast either tbh and she has a couple more weeks til she turns 6 lol)

Son
As 3 y/o four months before turning 4: 9.8
As 4 y/o four months before turning 5: 7.4

So he’s already 0.7 seconds faster than her and has four more months til he hits the age at which she ran hers. Thinking he’ll be about 1.1-1.2 seconds faster. LFG.

Do you train them? Or is this a natural progression?

Natural. Literally never train. I’m not the Williams dad. They pretty much just run around and play. She’s on a soccer team. Travel soccer starts this year for her which will suck I’m sure. He does rec soccer which is a joke and is doing tee ball which he seems to like.

That said, the oldest seems to love rock climbing. I brought her about two weeks ago and again tomorrow and then have four sessions left that I bought. After that, I might buy a year membership. I think it’s a sport that uses all muscles and can build so many strong mental characteristics.

Last edited:
@Ron Mexico

We also just go a lot of nice walks. Believe it or not, there’s a ton of parks in Jersey. Obviously not as topographically challenging as Utah but still really nice. The older two have done this five mile walk with us a couple times and don’t complain. So just outdoors stuff like that quite a bit. One park has one hell of a hill on it. Takes a good 60 seconds to run it. I’m guessing it’s about a 20 degree incline. So I’ll give the kids a head start and race them. Like that.

My son who is four and doesn’t turn 5 until December ran a 7.4.
Ouch. That is a brutal birthday for track and field. My kid has a November birthday so is in the same boat. It won't matter once they get to High School, but USATF, the organizing body for all serious track and field including on the youth level, judges age by birth year. To USAFT, your kid is 5 and has been since January 1 of this past year.

I haven't measured run times but do plan on introducing my kid to throws next year with a coach who has a good understanding of proper form. He'll be 9 next season and I think he could have some fun with javelins, shot puts, and discus. If growth charts are to be believed, he could be 6'9 or 6'10" as a senior in High School so he's got a good body type for it. I'm definitely not pushing it though. If he has fun then he'll continue and if he doesn't then he'll do something else.

Ouch. That is a brutal birthday for track and field. My kid has a November birthday so is in the same boat. It won't matter once they get to High School, but USATF, the organizing body for all serious track and field including on the youth level, judges age by birth year. To USAFT, your kid is 5 and has been since January 1 of this past year.

I haven't measured run times but do plan on introducing my kid to throws next year with a coach who has a good understanding of proper form. He'll be 9 next season and I think he could have some fun with javelins, shot puts, and discus. If growth charts are to be believed, he could be 6'9 or 6'10" as a senior in High School so he's got a good body type for it. I'm definitely not pushing it though. If he has fun then he'll continue and if he doesn't then he'll do something else.
Yep. He’ll at least be older than most in high school though which is all that really matters. Not like he’ll run age group stuff much at that point.

And 6’9” to 6’10” is crazy. How tall is he?

Btw my college coach’s son is a stud. It’s pretty cool. My coach was a national champ (division 2 or 3, I forget) in the decathlon. He was a great coach and I was lazy under him and only ran one year of XC and wasted a ******** of talent. I actually emailed him about four years ago to congratulate him on his son (who finished 3rd in the 800M in the all group meet here in NJ in 1:52 point) and simultaneously apologize for being immature 20+ years ago. He sent me a very nice email back. Now, he’s the head coach at UPenn and crushing it. Beating loaded SEC schools in distance medley at times. Like that.

Anyway, his son is at Villanova now. Ran the Olympic trials in the 800 meters and ran 1:47.1 iirc. I think he finished 8th, maybe 11th I forget. He’s only 20 y/o and already improved about three and a half seconds since HS so I think he could probably get down to about 1:45 point. Idk. Not sure he has enough pure speed or could develop it enough to qualify for the Olympics. I’m guessing he’ll end up focusing on the 1,500 or 5,000 as a result. Regardless, super cool to see his son kicking *** like this.

Yep. He’ll at least be older than most in high school though which is all that really matters. Not like he’ll run age group stuff much at that point.

And 6’9” to 6’10” is crazy. How tall is he?
I actually just measured that yesterday. He's 4'10" as an 8-year old about to go in to 3rd grade and he's wearing 9 1/2 size shoes. The crazy part is that he's 2" shorter than the tallest kid his class.

I actually just measured that yesterday. He's 4'10" as an 8-year old about to go in to 3rd grade and he's wearing 9 1/2 size shoes. The crazy part is that he's 2" shorter than the tallest kid his class.

Holy **** bro. What’s his weight?

I was 5’1”, 98 pounds in September of my freshman year

Holy **** bro. What’s his weight?

I was 5’1”, 98 pounds in September of my freshman year
I haven’t done that one in a while. I’ll put him on a scale tonight, but he’s solid. He isn’t lanky. He has an athletic build but when you look at him you’d think he’s the type of kid who could probably throw stuff far and wouldn’t be so good at jumping over high things.

Good luck with travel soccer. I’m thinking that I’ll dodge that bullet for another year. My kid starts club basketball at the end of this month but it will be a year at a minimum of learning fundamentals before making the travel team becomes a possibility. The water polo season just ended so I don’t have to worry about that one. He is good enough to be on a club swim team right now (he was the #2 freestyler in the region before the shutdown) but I’m pulling back on that because I don’t want to burn him out on swimming when he has a natural talent and because swim meets are the worst. I have a friend who said he only survived swim meets by buying an RV and stocking it with alcohol. I don't know that travel soccer is that bad but it is never a bad thing to keep in mind that RVs aren't just for camping.

I haven’t done that one in a while. I’ll put him on a scale tonight, but he’s solid. He isn’t lanky. He has an athletic build but when you look at him you’d think he’s the type of kid who could probably throw stuff far and wouldn’t be so good at jumping over high things.

Good luck with travel soccer. I’m thinking that I’ll dodge that bullet for another year. My kid starts club basketball at the end of this month but it will be a year at a minimum of learning fundamentals before making the travel team becomes a possibility. The water polo season just ended so I don’t have to worry about that one. He is good enough to be on a club swim team right now (he was the #2 freestyler in the region before the shutdown) but I’m pulling back on that because I don’t want to burn him out on swimming when he has a natural talent and because swim meets are the worst. I have a friend who said he only survived swim meets by buying an RV and stocking it with alcohol. I don't know that travel soccer is that bad but it is never a bad thing to keep in mind that RVs aren't just for camping.

Hahahaha. I’ve heard the same **** about swim. My chiro’s son is going into his senior year in hs and is a good swimmer and he’s told my they’re pretty brutal and I vaguely recall being at one when I was young and it sucked. It’s so hot in there. And boring as you’re waiting hours for your kid to swim. Sort of similar to wrestling tournies probably but at least at those you can get concessions.

ISIS just turned 5. I'll have him run it in a couple weeks when he gets back for comparison. He's a damn monster of a child though so i expect he's pretty fast for his age. He's the size of an average seven year old.

Cool story, had my oldest in San Diego when he was 4 and we went for dinner down the beach. He ran the entire 2.5 miles back. I was surprised a kid that young could run that long. Seemed very unusual but who knows. Anyone else have kids who can distance run that young? Seemed like a mile - 1.5 was about all they pushed us until 8th grade or so.

Ever have your kid run this?