What's new

My daughter running a timed 40 yard dash

Holy **** bro. What’s his weight?

I was 5’1”, 98 pounds in September of my freshman year
104 pounds. He'll start his freshman year of High School in 6 years (Class of 2031). He's now 4 feet, 10 inches tall and weighs 104 pounds with swimmer's shoulders.

My God. How tall are you? How tall is your wife?
I was 6'5" at my tallest and my wife is 5'11". My wife's brother is 6'6" so both sides have plenty of height, but the kid's projected height of 6'9"-6'10" is tall even for our family. I do reinforce how great it is being tall and show him athletic feats being pulled off by tall athletes for his self esteem which isn't lacking by any stretch of the imagination. I would never tell him this but I do hope they've overestimated his height a bit. If he ends up being Tyson Fury, Gregor 'The Mountain' Clegane, The Undertaker, or Karl Malone then I don't have the slightest doubt he'll own it but I can't help but thinking 6'6" would be a bit easier through life.

I haven’t done that one in a while. I’ll put him on a scale tonight, but he’s solid. He isn’t lanky. He has an athletic build but when you look at him you’d think he’s the type of kid who could probably throw stuff far and wouldn’t be so good at jumping over high things.

Good luck with travel soccer. I’m thinking that I’ll dodge that bullet for another year. My kid starts club basketball at the end of this month but it will be a year at a minimum of learning fundamentals before making the travel team becomes a possibility. The water polo season just ended so I don’t have to worry about that one. He is good enough to be on a club swim team right now (he was the #2 freestyler in the region before the shutdown) but I’m pulling back on that because I don’t want to burn him out on swimming when he has a natural talent and because swim meets are the worst. I have a friend who said he only survived swim meets by buying an RV and stocking it with alcohol. I don't know that travel soccer is that bad but it is never a bad thing to keep in mind that RVs aren't just for camping.

Last December we bought a 30’ bumper pull travel trailer. We love to camp, but we used it at all 4 travel tournaments we did this year (two in southern Utah and two in Idaho). This next year we’ve doubled the number of kids playing travel sports, so we may just be living in it.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

My soon to be 14 year old boy (going into 8th grade) is 5’9” and 165 or so. He already wears a size 13 shoe (which is the same size I wear), so I have hopes he’ll end up being in the 6’4” range.

Last December we bought a 30’ bumper pull travel trailer. We love to camp, but we used it at all 4 travel tournaments we did this year (two in southern Utah and two in Idaho). This next year we’ve doubled the number of kids playing travel sports, so we may just be living in it.

Your whole clan can sleep in that?

Fml at travel sports…this travel soccer is local for now. Our county and the neighboring one. I want my daughter to be great (she’s not) but I sort of hope she just gets into running because there isn’t any of that nonsense. Though soccer is quite social and so is she so…

BTW she ran 1:25.4 for 0.20 miles the other day which is 7:11/Mile pace. Pretty solid.

Fml at travel sports…this travel soccer is local for now. Our county and the neighboring one. I want my daughter to be great (she’s not) but I sort of hope she just gets into running because there isn’t any of that nonsense. Though soccer is quite social and so is she so…

BTW she ran 1:25.4 for 0.20 miles the other day which is 7:11/Mile pace. Pretty solid.
Nice! That kid has a motor. When she gets old enough to learn how to run to a pace I think you're going to have a monster on your hands.

Nice! That kid has a motor. When she gets old enough to learn how to run to a pace I think you're going to have a monster on your hands.
Yep. She did that in soccer cleats on grass after a three hour practice too with no one running with her on a hot day. The travel soccer should help a lot (though I think she’s going to play fullback or whatever they call it now) and my wife thinks she’s about to have. Growth spurt which should help too. I might bring her out on a track to run a 400 and see if she can crank out a 1:30 in the fall on a nice 65 degree day. If she wants lol.

Side note. I saw a YouTube video of Theis young girl (8 y/o I think) run like a 57 second 400. It was insane. She’s tiny. And she won, blowing away 11-12 year olds. I’ll try to find it.

Your whole clan can sleep in that?

Yeah. It’s a “bunkhouse”, so it’s got two sets of bunk beds at the one end. Plus the table and couch convert to beds. We don’t want to have to mess with the table every night though. One set of bunks is wider than the other, so whoever gets the wider set has to share. As of now though, #4 and #6 like to sleep on the couch that folds down into a bed.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

We’ve kept our travel sports fairly low key. Soccer will travel up to an hour away to play games, other than tournaments. We’ve gone as far as Vegas (6 hour drive) for that. Baseball is about the same, but we get doubleheader’s on Saturdays) for that. This past season the furthest we drove for either of them for a regular season game was less than an hour.

We’ve kept our travel sports fairly low key. Soccer will travel up to an hour away to play games, other than tournaments. We’ve gone as far as Vegas (6 hour drive) for that. Baseball is about the same, but we get doubleheader’s on Saturdays) for that. This past season the furthest we drove for either of them for a regular season game was less than an hour.

It’s nuts. And a scam. All of this. This country’s gone mad.

These are outstanding times for her age. You may have a track/x-country runner on your hands.

These are outstanding times for her age. You may have a track/x-country runner on your hands.
It’s honestly impossible to tell with girls. She could develop big breasts (her mom has them) which would ruin any chance of that.

Just brought the kids to the track. The youngest peed all over it at the end which was funny. Anyway, I’m blown away.

My oldest didn’t look fast to me. I think she’s slightly awkward and mechanical. Anyway, she ran a 6.7 twice. That’s an improvement of 1.4 seconds from last year.

My son who is four and doesn’t turn 5 until December ran a 7.4. I knew he was fast but damn. I looked up the world championship and saw some results from 2016 in which a five year old won with a time of 9.38 seconds in the 55 meters. If my son grows (he’s below average in height now and Im 6’2” and the wife is 5’7”) and he just naturally improves he will likely be running a sub 6.0 40 as a five year old. Which would equate to about a 9.0 for 55 meters. Pretty cool. He said he wants to play football next year which excites me as it’s my favorite sport so we’ll have him start flag or something.

My youngest who’s a young 3 and a future AA regular ran a 10.5. Whatever.

I think these times are off a bit. I never posted it but like a week or two after this workout, I brought them to the track again. Each kid was considerably slower. I think like a dimwit, I started the kids at the correct spot (visually at where the 40 yard line on the football field was) but stopped them at the finish line instead of the goal line. Oh well. My daughter finished soccer a month ago and has basically wanted me to train her in the backyard so we’ve been doing running workouts like 3-4 days a week on top of her two days of soccer practice. Nothing long. Not counting joke warmups and cool downs, like 5-10 minute workouts. But it’s something and better than her watching tv all afternoon. I’ll increase intensity slowly til April. Basically I’m doing everything I can to develop a drug addiction or mental health problems in her. I jest. She really has come to me.

I think these times are off a bit. I never posted it but like a week or two after this workout, I brought them to the track again. Each kid was considerably slower. I think like a dimwit, I started the kids at the correct spot (visually at where the 40 yard line on the football field was) but stopped them at the finish line instead of the goal line. Oh well. My daughter finished soccer a month ago and has basically wanted me to train her in the backyard so we’ve been doing running workouts like 3-4 days a week on top of her two days of soccer practice. Nothing long. Not counting joke warmups and cool downs, like 5-10 minute workouts. But it’s something and better than her watching tv all afternoon. I’ll increase intensity slowly til April. Basically I’m doing everything I can to develop a drug addiction or mental health problems in her. I jest. She really has come to me.
I’m envious. My kid will not take coaching from me beyond tips on technique. If you’ve got the weather, it is a good time of year to get fast. When you get new times in the spring, do post them.

Other than it being with coaches and different sports, my son is in the same boat. He’s currently putting in about 9 hours per week in training plus the occasional weekend tournament.

I’m envious. My kid will not take coaching from me beyond tips on technique. If you’ve got the weather, it is a good time of year to get fast. When you get new times in the spring, do post them.

Other than it being with coaches and different sports, my son is in the same boat. He’s currently putting in about 9 hours per week in training plus the occasional weekend tournament.

She never did take my coaching but I backed off a bit, play good cop more, and had a talk with her and am trying to be a bit more thoughtful and Phil Jackson with her. Iirc, I think I said how working truly hard at something is invaluable. Gives you an appreciation for certain things in life, builds character, etc. And that at this moment, everything seems to come very easy to her. School. Socialization. Art. TV lol. The next day I came home from work and my wife said she had gone into the backyard on her own. So…we’ll see how long it lasts.

So last year, just before her 2nd birthday, I posted this in the UGLI forum...

"On vacation, on 8/9/2016, on an all-weather track, my one year old daughter (she's turning two later this month) ran 18.93 in the 40 yard dash. That would be listed as 19.0 hand-timed or would be approximately 19.17 fully automatic, which is how NFL guys get timed.

Gonna do this every year a little before her birthday.

It was awesome watching her. Based on growth, effort (she was only around 85% effort here it seemed), and ability to focus, I'm thinking she could run sub 14.00 next year.

And don't worry, I'm not one of those crazy parents. Just wanna do this once a year to have fun with it. Maybe it will actually become something meaningful once she's 13 or 14 and thereafter."
This is awesome! Good on ya brother.