What's new

My thoughts on The Jazz first 3 games FWIW

I don't get all the Favors blaming. Sure he looked like *** against the Grizzlies but he definitely wasn't the only one. He was great against the Kings and played his role well against Warriors.

The starting unit as a whole is why we aren't playing to our full potential yet and guess what? IT'S ONLY 3 GAMES INTO THE SEASON! Changing up the lineup 3 games into the season is what tanking teams do, we know what we have and we know it works. Give it time and we'll be fine.

I don't get all the Favors blaming. Sure he looked like *** against the Grizzlies but he definitely wasn't the only one. He was great against the Kings and played his role well against Warriors.

The starting unit as a whole is why we aren't playing to our full potential yet and guess what? IT'S ONLY 3 GAMES INTO THE SEASON! Changing up the lineup 3 games into the season is what tanking teams do, we know what we have and we know it works. Give it time and we'll be fine.

I’m not ready to change the lineup but some of those that are use these three games and the beginning of last season as the sample size that this ain’t working. I say give it a month... the next stretch of the season is pretty rough though and a slow start may really put us behind the 8 ball.

Every one stunk against Memphis. They seemed tougher than us. Jazz had no clue how to break down their defense. I am sure some of the concern is our expectations were high coming into the season especially since we brought back most of our roster. However, if Jazz beat GS then attitudes would be different. It is early and the schedule is tough. People need to realize that other teams have improved. Even the bottom feeders are better.

DM looks very frustrated but I am sure he will figure it out. So will some of the other guys. I do think that we have too much depth at SG so that needs to be sorted out. I will keep my concern in check for at least 20 games before I start to suggest trades. Jazz just need to weather the storm with the tough early schedule and they should be alright. Houston, OKC, Boston are both under performing too. Remember it is early. People need to be a little patient.

Good Favors yes. Decent Favors with subpar Rubio no. Gobert will never spread the floor. Favors won't much either. If Rubio is this bad, other teams stick like glue on Ingles then over help on Mitchell. When we play a team with a good defensive C like Gasol, we have to plan ahead better than we did the other night.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Mitchell is definitely not right. Quickness/explosiveness is way behind last year. I know he had a big celebrity status to nurture this summer and was going everywhere, but his foot injury prevented him from doing the things needed to come in and dominate right away. He's good enough he can learn to compensate even with this, but the preference of course is that his athleticism returns to normal. He's been pretty abysmal so far and the Jazz struggles are really nothing more than that. The Memphis game was an abberation, the kind borne from one opponent underestimating the other. And yes, Mirotic is the ideal running mate to Rudy. Grayson needs to play.

I don't think a major change is needed. It'd be disrespectful to the very same guys that rallied back from 18-29 last year in the first place.

Quin is not as reactionary as us... we stay the course until we have a big enough sample to say it aint working. He will make fringe moves though like putting Allen in and cutting minutes for players not producing.

My thoughts-there is some rust to shake off, and Donovan just needs to let the game come to him. He is forcing a lot of ****. He cost Utah the GS game by holding the ball and making poor decisions. Not sure if he is hurt, but that still doesn't excuse forcing everything... I do think he will shake it off, but my concern is he will end up hurting the offense if he doesn't start playing within the sets. We need his spark when the offense gets stagnant, but he shouldn't be the reason it becomes stagnant. I think he just needs to relax, and think he will be fine.

These last two losses should have been wins. I have a suspicion they will turn things around shortly. I also think these losses will end up haunting them come at the end of the season in a very tight Western Conference.

It's early and expectations are through the roof. It will take a minute to get back into the groove and find themselves but when they do it will be similar to last year. I think Donovan is a little banged up from the fall in the Kings game. It was a hard fall and probably would have put a lesser man such as myself out of commission for a month, and I think he is still feeling some of the repercussions. Hopefully he recovers and gets back to form. I also think Sefolosha will be a calming influence.

One more observation: In the second half of the year I noted that Ricky brought his wrist back a bit more when shooting, and put a better arc on the ball. This continued during play in Europe. At the start of the season, his shot looks very flat again. I know it is a short sample of games, but his shot looks broken again.

My thoughts-there is some rust to shake off, and Donovan just needs to let the game come to him. He is forcing a lot of ****. He cost Utah the GS game by holding the ball and making poor decisions. Not sure if he is hurt, but that still doesn't excuse forcing everything... I do think he will shake it off, but my concern is he will end up hurting the offense if he doesn't start playing within the sets. We need his spark when the offense gets stagnant, but he shouldn't be the reason it becomes stagnant.

Excellent post and spot on observations!

It seems like Mitchell is struggling with his athleticism. He doesn't have any highlight above the rim plays yet, and seems to be struggling to finish in the restricted area.

I guess the real solution is to trade DM and start building around Ingles. DM + our pick this year for Lonzo Ball: Who says no?
Um, everyone.

DM has struggled so far. Game 4 was great though...I think he is starting to figure it out.

Never doubt

Believe in DM and this Jazz team

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

Mirotic on this team would be awesome. I would love to see him with Exum, Mitchell, Ingles, and Rudy.

What if I told you we already have a guy on the roster that can do a reasonable Mirotic impression? What if I also told you he is signed to a minimum nba deal? What if I asked you a bunch of questions to clearly reference that I think Georges Niang can be our stretch playmaking 4?

Mitchell is attempting the 7th most shots per game in the NBA so far at 21.5 shots per game. Does that number stay the same or go up/down? He is averaging 23.8 points per game. Does that go up or down?

I would guess he ends up averaging closer to 19 shots per game but his efficiency goes up from where its at. I think he averages about 25 points per game and his shooting percentage is ~47% overall. This would put him right around #10 in points per game for the league based on last season. Similar stats to Kyrie from the previous 2 years.

Too lazy to look for it but.... remember that thread about the schedule to start the season and most everyone agreed that it would be a tough start and we all did agree that we say this now only knowing we'd all overreact, well posts in this thread are a perfect example. Not saying the OP was he was just starting a discussion.

With that said it's easy to forget, at least I think we can agree, that the Memphis was a hangover game. They played their hearts out against GSW,and then got bullied by the physicality, you can't have 2 more different contrasting styles then going from GSW to MEM, they came out a little flat and hungover and MEM is a much improved team now that they are healthy and the Jazz weren't ready mentally to deal or properly respond back to MEM physical play.

Nothing to be ashamed of IMO, it happens over an 82 game season and yes there are some things that were or are happening individually with certain players DM's shooting struggles (Rubio and Favors the biggest worries) this is hopefully where coaching of the Jazz can help along with players taking pride and ownership of their play. Can't always control shooting but you can control putting some energy and defense in the game to help the team and the rest should take care of itself from a player stand point, from a coaching I would hope they emphasize this and maybe do some things to help get Favors playing with a bit more energy, what that is.... well I'm not a coach so I wouldn't pretend to know what is best but have thoughts.