What's new

Mystery wing player who wanted to come to Utah

latin jazz

So it's been mentioned by Tony Jones several times that a pretty good wing was coming to Utah had we signed Mirotic. According to Jones, the Mirotic deal was less than what was reported by Stein (so 12-14M per year). With that in mind, who is that mystery player who was willing to come for 5-7M a year? Ariza? Lamb?

My assumption is Ariza or maybe DMC. It’s hard to believe Ariza, though, as he got something like 2 years 24M.

My assumption is Ariza or maybe DMC. It’s hard to believe Ariza, though, as he got something like 2 years 24M.
Ariza is a good fit. Maybe he was willing to come for cheap like Jeff Green (ring chasers!) but choose the dollars once that door was closed.

My best guess is Trevor Ariza. Tony kept mentioning how the reports of us offering 3/45 to Mirotic were wrong and our offer was lower. And that the money we were saving in that deal was going to allow us to get this mystery wing too. So I think it was probably a guy who ended up getting 10-12ish million per year elsewhere (maybe a little more). Ariza or Jeremy Lamb most likely. I don't think it was Demarre Carroll.

So it's been mentioned by Tony Jones several times that a pretty good wing was coming to Utah had we signed Mirotic. According to Jones, the Mirotic deal was less than what was reported by Stein (so 12-14M per year). With that in mind, who is that mystery player who was willing to come for 5-7M a year? Ariza? Lamb?

I honestly don't care, because I think we did an amazing job this off-season. I like Mirotic but I feel the Jazz assembled an even better team than we would've, if we signed him. Media personalities are hilarious. If Tony Jones stated several times that a "pretty good wing is coming if we would've signed Mirotic." why not just tell us who it is? Mirotic agreed to a contract with Barcelona, so why doesn't Jones just state who it was? I'm guessing his sources are made up and he was saying that for publicity?? Also I can't find anything where Jones stated that we would get a quality wing with a Mirotic signing, where did you find that?

I honestly don't care, because I think we did an amazing job this off-season. I like Mirotic but I feel the Jazz assembled an even better team than we would've, if we signed him. Media personalities are hilarious. If Tony Jones stated several times that a "pretty good wing is coming if we would've signed Mirotic." why not just tell us who it is? Mirotic agreed to a contract with Barcelona, so why doesn't Jones just state who it was? I'm guessing his sources are made up and he was saying that for publicity?? Also I can't find anything where Jones stated that we would get a quality wing with a Mirotic signing, where did you find that?

His sources aren't made up. He was talking up Mike Conley for weeks before the trade went through. He said the Jazz were in discussions with Bojan before the deal with Bojan went through. He said Jeff Green was a name to watch as someone the Jazz might target before it was announced the Jazz signed hIm. He was basically first on all Jazz related news this summer. His source is obviously someone within the Jazz organization. He probably doesn't want to say who the player was because it might hurt his relationship with the source, the Jazz or possibly that player. He also probably doesn't want to field a bunch of questions about what didn't happen. As for where he said the Jazz would have gotten a quality wing with Mirotic, Twitter and local radio/tv interviews.

Because you don't give up your sources like that.

Ariza is a good fit. Maybe he was willing to come for cheap like Jeff Green (ring chasers!) but choose the dollars once that door was closed.

Agreed. Ariza would have been a good fit, but don't fault him for getting the cash when Bogey signed. Dude has miles on his legs, but still would have been damn good in rotation.

TJ talked a lot about Ariza I’m guessing it was him.

His podcasts with espn700 and several others. It was the Jazz plan A. He couldn't reveal who the player was because it would put his source in trouble. I've found his reporting quite accurate. Agree with ended up with a pretty good team, but it's fun to speculate.

I understand the thought process the Jazz had behind Mirotic being their first choice. They likely felt he was ideal since he can stretch the floor and can play 4/5 like Favs while Bogey is a 3/4. But I think we lucked out. I think Bogey/Green/Davis > Mirotic/Ariza/whatever other cheap guy
This

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

His podcasts with espn700 and several others. It was the Jazz plan A. He couldn't reveal who the player was because it would put his source in trouble. I've found his reporting quite accurate. Agree with ended up with a pretty good team, but it's fun to speculate.
I listened to a former radio personality on Bill Oram’s show the Friday before free agency. This guy’s takes were pretty much all wrong. Tony Jones came on afterwards with a timeline and names to watch that were much more aligned to what actually happened. (I would mention who the first guy was, but I don’t want to reveal my sources.) Along those lines, I think Spencer Checketts may have connections around the league, but not so much within the Jazz organization any more.

I think in the most recent interview where Tony talked about this, he also added that the addition would have fit well because the hypothetical wing would have been willing to come off the bench.

I guess I'd be surprised if we learned that it wasn't one of Ariza, Lamb, or Terrence Ross. The latter two make the most sense to me, given that they can be SG/SF easier than Ariza, but since Tony had mentioned Ariza (and Tony was nearly spot on this offseason with the names he mentioned), I guess it could have been him too.

But didn't Ariza, at least, end up signing for much more than the Jazz ever could have offered? And hasn't his pattern the last couple of years been to prioritize money over winning?

Honestly I would prefer to have Bojan and his contract rather than an aging Ariza and Mirotic and their combined theoretical contracts.

Won't argue against that. Bogey is better in ways Mirotic could only dream of, and I consider Ariza and Green a wash for team needs.