What's new

Mystery wing player who wanted to come to Utah

I don't think it was Demarre Carroll.

Tony made it sound like the price we were going to get Mirotic for was huge to be able to get this wing. Which implies the Jazz were targeting a guy who was a little more pricey than the 7 million Carroll ended up getting. Probably a guy who ended up getting 10-12. Or a guy who ended getting a little more than that but would have taken a pay cut for us.

I don't think it was Demarre Carroll.

Tony made it sound like the price we were going to get Mirotic for was huge to be able to get this wing. Which implies the Jazz were targeting a guy who was a little more pricey than the 7 million Carroll ended up getting. Probably a guy who ended up getting 10-12. Or a guy who ended getting a little more than that but would have taken a pay cut for us.
I don’t think that would have left us enough money, though. Bojan got essentially all our cap, sans like 1.5M (but that was after we waived Neto). All the other guys were signed using exceptions over the cap. So with Bojan’s 18ishM dropping down to 12ish, it really only gives us like $7M tops for another guy.

I have a harder time thinking we believed we could get Ariza with $7 when there are $12M guys out there. This is a dude who already has a ring and has proved himself and is at the twilight of his career looking to add a few really high yield financial years.

Lol he’s not a good shooter. His TS% is about 53% over the last four seasons.

Yes! This, along with the positional duplication, is why I have a hard time seeing that the Jazz would have prioritized him (or Ariza for that matter) along with Mirotic. Carroll and Ariza are essentially a Crowder replacement in both position and effectiveness. That's OK, I suppose, but I think they would have prioritized more shooting at the 2/3 instead and figured that they could get a Crowder "replacement" for the minimum or Room MLE.

I had heard from a couple of folks on Twitter than DeMarre Carroll had burned some bridges on his way out last time (not publicly of course), and he would not be a Jazz target for that reason. Personally I loved him, and hoped he be coming back this summer, but they told me that he was not even on Jazz radar.

A pretty good wing? Knowing the way that Tony Jones likes to play coy I might put my money on Malcolm Brogdon. For a few reasons:

1. Brogdon + Mirotic is something that would have been better than Bogdanovic. It would have given us virtual All-Stars at 4 out of 5 starting positions with Malcolm playing backup PG and the SF spot.
2. Justin Zanik was the Bucks GM when Brogdon was drafted and knows him well
3. Brogdon signing with Indiana didn't happen until after (a day or two if memory serves) the Jazz-Bogdanovic signing was announced.

I had heard from a couple of folks on Twitter than DeMarre Carroll had burned some bridges on his way out last time (not publicly of course), and he would not be a Jazz target for that reason. Personally I loved him, and hoped he be coming back this summer, but they told me that he was not even on Jazz radar.

A pretty good wing? Knowing the way that Tony Jones likes to play coy I might put my money on Malcolm Brogdon. For a few reasons:

1. Brogdon + Mirotic is something that would have been better than Bogdanovic. It would have given us virtual All-Stars at 4 out of 5 starting positions with Malcolm playing backup PG and the SF spot.
3. Brogdon signing with Indiana didn't happen until after (a day or two if memory serves) the Jazz-Bogdanovic signing was announced.
Well 0% chance it was that.

We wouldn't have had money to sign Brogdon, let alone Brogdon and Mirotic. I also don't see him being referred to as a wing.

Said this several times Brogdon is who I wanted the most before the Conley trade. Who knows maybe they could've worked on a 3 team sign and trade (like IND did) that included Favors but yeah that is getting to much into the hypothetical.

His sources aren't made up. He was talking up Mike Conley for weeks before the trade went through. He said the Jazz were in discussions with Bojan before the deal with Bojan went through. He said Jeff Green was a name to watch as someone the Jazz might target before it was announced the Jazz signed hIm. He was basically first on all Jazz related news this summer. His source is obviously someone within the Jazz organization. He probably doesn't want to say who the player was because it might hurt his relationship with the source, the Jazz or possibly that player. He also probably doesn't want to field a bunch of questions about what didn't happen. As for where he said the Jazz would have gotten a quality wing with Mirotic, Twitter and local radio/tv interviews.

Tony Jones was the Woj of the Jazz off-season. Toj.

I have literally heard nothing of the sort regarding Carroll. Ever, anywhere. Sounds to me like you’re talking about George Hill.

1. We didn’t have the capspace to go after Brogdon, let alone Mirotic and Brogdon.
2. I don’t think that’s true but I won’t look it up, so okay I guess.
3. Brogdon’s signing was announced within hours of Bogdanovic.

His sources aren't made up. He was talking up Mike Conley for weeks before the trade went through. He said the Jazz were in discussions with Bojan before the deal with Bojan went through. He said Jeff Green was a name to watch as someone the Jazz might target before it was announced the Jazz signed hIm. He was basically first on all Jazz related news this summer. His source is obviously someone within the Jazz organization. He probably doesn't want to say who the player was because it might hurt his relationship with the source, the Jazz or possibly that player. He also probably doesn't want to field a bunch of questions about what didn't happen. As for where he said the Jazz would have gotten a quality wing with Mirotic, Twitter and local radio/tv interviews.

@colton knows who his source is now, right colton? (Wink emoji)