What's new

NBA.com power ranking quote on Utah Jazz post-break improvement

The Blue Elephant

"But for a harsh dose of reality, note that the team that showed the most post-break improvement last season was Charlotte. And the season before that, it was Sacramento."

I think the defense is too good to follow suit. But then again Charlotte's defense was also like number 6 last year. Also depends on how much you buy into this post all star improvement being primarily from addition by subtraction by Kanter. Jazz have also had the hardest schedule pre break in the entire NBA while also having the easiest post break schedule in the entire western conference with only 1 team in the eastern conference having an easier remaining schedule.

However Jazz are stable franchises while the Hornets and Kings aren't.

Last edited:
In the case of the Hornets last year, their offensive rating went from 98.8 pre-All Star break to 105.8 post-All Star break. Their defensive rating improved from 101.2 to 101.1.

The 2012-13 Kings improved on the offensive end after the break, with their o-rating going from 100.7 to 107.3. Their defensive rating went from 108.5 to 108.8.

So the point is that the Jazz have improved in a different way than the Hornets or Kings did. I expect the Jazz to continue their upward trend.

I think we will see a mixed bag next year.

Pros:

Improved player development. Specifically Gobert, Exum and Hood.
Stability under Snyder. More time for the core to run SNyders D and O schemes
Chemistry within the team
Competent coach and FO. Utah isn't Sactown and Charlotte

Cons:
Young team = mistakes
Return to earth of the D as a result of the full schedule.

Having said all that I still think the Jazz will be a top 5 D and will be improved over this year as a whole. Next year they will be pushing for the playoffs. and I think they take the 6th or 7th seed.

I am assuming he talking about the strength of schedule. Pre break Utah Jazz had the hardest in the entire NBA. After the break they have easiest in the entire western conference and second easiest in the entire NBA.

Ahhh, ok. Makes complete sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Fun fact:

After the break, against playoff teams, the Jazz have gone 7-3 and posted a 93.8 defensive rating.

Fun fact:

After the break, against playoff teams, the Jazz have gone 7-3 and posted a 93.8 defensive rating.

And I think they will play elite D next year. Just not quite at a historically great level. Not a full season long any ways.

Our defense actually passes the eye test though. Charlotte's, behind "Big Al" Jefferson, did not.

Against playoff teams post all-star break:

2013 Kings: -3.26 avg scoring margin, avg opponent strength of 0.631
2014 Hornets: -0.25 avg scoring margin, avg opponent strength of 0.597
2015 Jazz: +5.1 avg scoring margin, avg opponent strength of 0.623

See just by removing 1 game impacted the rating by a large amount. Small sample size.

More post all-star break stats to show that Utah's elite defense is not simply a product of a weaker schedule

Season average of points scored per 100 possessions by Jazz opponents: 101.6
Average points scored per 100 possessions against the Jazz: 93.7
Difference: 7.9

The Jazz, on average, are holding teams to 7.9 less points per 100 possessions than they typically score. Note that this comparison removes the "strength of schedule" variable, as we are comparing each team's normal output to their output against the Jazz.

More post all-star break stats to show that Utah's elite defense is not simply a product of a weaker schedule

Season average of points scored per 100 possessions by Jazz opponents: 101.6
Average points scored per 100 possessions against the Jazz: 93.7
Difference: 7.9

The Jazz, on average, are holding teams to 7.9 less points per 100 possessions than they typically score. Note that this comparison removes the "strength of schedule" variable, as we are comparing each team's normal output to their output against the Jazz.

I never said Jazz elite defense simply a product of weaker schedule. Just that they aren't historically elite that the stats originally showed.

I still think the Jazz need a more reliable scorer next year to make the playoffs.

BUT

Hood, Burks, and to a small degree Exum can help with that. Plus we have FA money.

What this team has been able to do after trading away one of it's better players (as many faults as Kanter has, he was still one of our more talented players), without receiving any players who have contributed at all in return, is extremely impressive- even more so when you consider the fact that they've done it with a rookie PG & without one of it's better players in Burks. It shows you just how good of a core Hayward, Favors, & Gobert is, not to mention how talented the supporting cast of Exum, Hood, Booker, & even Millsap, Ingles, & Burke is. Makes you actually consider whether or not they should "go all in" next year with a marquee FA signing & a major trade.

Considering the fact that pretty much our entire roster is young & under contract for the near future, there really isn't any reason to rush anything, but it still makes you wonder what this team could do with a PG that is ready to run an offense, another scorer, & the right veteran or 2 (& that's on top of the inevitable internal improvement that is certain to occur over the next few years).

I'm just happy to be a fan of such a well-ran organization. Without even looking at the rest of the league, I don't see how this team doesn't have one of, if not the, brightest futures in the entire NBA. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Last edited: