What's new

NBA.com power ranking quote on Utah Jazz post-break improvement

I think we will see a mixed bag next year.

Pros:

Improved player development. Specifically Gobert, Exum and Hood.
Stability under Snyder. More time for the core to run SNyders D and O schemes
Chemistry within the team
Competent coach and FO. Utah isn't Sactown and Charlotte

Cons:
Young team = mistakes
Return to earth of the D as a result of the full schedule.

Having said all that I still think the Jazz will be a top 5 D and will be improved over this year as a whole. Next year they will be pushing for the playoffs. and I think they take the 6th or 7th seed.
Good points.
Charlotte had Big Al at his peak and then destroyed team chemistry by bringing in Lance Stephenson. Team shooting percentages are down, most notably at the 3. Kemba is their Trey Burke: horrible percentage, yet he has the most 3PT attempts.

AS for Sacramento, the team was playing very well under Malone to start the season. Cousins was actually engaged. Then he goes down and Ranadive decides to outsource the team.

Sure we MAY return to earth, but also don't forget Utah is the YOUNGEST team in the league right now. We passed up Philadelphia at the trade deadline by getting rid of Novak. Everyone has the potential to get better. Maybe Hayward just incremently, but everyone else a LOT. Burks comes back and we hopefully have Hood for the entire year. There is no reason, outside of major injuries, that the Jazz SHOULDN'T be a playoff team.

I never said Jazz elite defense simply a product of weaker schedule. Just that they aren't historically elite that the stats originally showed.

You can argue strong schedule, then weak all you want. But over 77 games...the ENTIRE season to date, the Jazz have allowed the fewest points in the league. Memphis has an outside chance of catching Utah by the end of the year, but they'd have to give up 54 fewer points (10/per game).

Utah will have played the same schedule as any other WC team. Yes, pace IS a major factor. But it's good to know Utah can grind out games even when the shooting isn't there. Utah is last in the league in assists. They're fifth worst in TO's. 18th and 19th in FG% and 3PT%. Just imagine what this team COULD look like with just a little improvement offensively.

You can argue strong schedule, then weak all you want. But over 77 games...the ENTIRE season to date, the Jazz have allowed the fewest points in the league. Memphis has an outside chance of catching Utah by the end of the year, but they'd have to give up 54 fewer points (10/per game).

Utah will have played the same schedule as any other WC team. Yes, pace IS a major factor. But it's good to know Utah can grind out games even when the shooting isn't there. Utah is last in the league in assists. They're fifth worst in TO's. 18th and 19th in FG% and 3PT%. Just imagine what this team COULD look like with just a little improvement offensively.

We also play the slowest...

We also play the slowest...

Reading is fundamental!

Good points.
Charlotte had Big Al at his peak and then destroyed team chemistry by bringing in Lance Stephenson. Team shooting percentages are down, most notably at the 3. Kemba is their Trey Burke: horrible percentage, yet he has the most 3PT attempts.

AS for Sacramento, the team was playing very well under Malone to start the season. Cousins was actually engaged. Then he goes down and Ranadive decides to outsource the team.

Sure we MAY return to earth, but also don't forget Utah is the YOUNGEST team in the league right now. We passed up Philadelphia at the trade deadline by getting rid of Novak. Everyone has the potential to get better. Maybe Hayward just incremently, but everyone else a LOT. Burks comes back and we hopefully have Hood for the entire year. There is no reason, outside of major injuries, that the Jazz SHOULDN'T be a playoff team.

Amittedly we did screw up their "next step" by matching Hayward. Losing out on Hayward and having to settle for Lance was a disaster for them. Oh well, screw them. . .

Also, Kings and Hornets are mired in mediocrity because of impulsive owners who have made poor front office and coaching decisions. I personally think that DL and Quin are special talents in their own right. Seeing as how the Core players are all young and improving, I see this team as being on an upward trend.

bottom line - that nba.com dude has no ****ing idea what is happening to this mighty team

WTF is this idiot talking about?

The Kings were 19-35 pre-all-star break and 9-19 post-all-star break in 2012-2013, the season before last season, the season he says the Kings "showed the most post-break improvement".

It was in fact the Lakers, with a 25-29 pre-break and a 20-8 post-break record who showed the most post-break improvement in the category that actually matters, which is win-loss record. I imagine he is looking at his "advanced analytics" (points per 100 possessions) to describe the Kings as the most improved team in 2012-2013. But then that's just misusing statistics to support a dubious claim. Describing a team that was losing at a higher rate post-all-star break than they were pre-all-star break as "most improved" based on a single advanced stat is ridiculous. I can't believe these guys get paid money to write this ****.

Yep, looking into it more, the guy is comparing Sacramento's 2013 improvement from a -7.8 net rtg pre-all-star break to -1.5 post-all-star break with Utah's 2015 improvement from -3.1 pre-all-star break to +8.1 post-all-star break.

I can only hope we follow Sacramento's trend for the next season. They went from an overall -5.6 net rtg in 2013 to -3.4 in 2014. If we do something similar with our current +0.4 rtg we would have a net rtg comparable to this year's Memphis Grizzlies next year.

Charlotte last season to this season is a little more comparable to our situation stats wise. Thankfully, our team is built nothing like theirs, so trying to compare the two teams would be foolish (just don't tell the "professional" sports journalists at nba.com that).