What's new

NBA Expansion?

But I still think we do our kids a disservice by not helping them develop these skills. Sure not everyone will have the same ability just like in literally every other subject they will learn, but it doesn't mean it is useless to make the effort. Many of them will be far better off to have worked to develop at least some skill than none at all.
There are many skills we don't teach anymore. Keyboarding classes don't teach you how to center text on letterhead by counting spaces anymore. It's a valuable skill to have, but there are other, more important skills, and we have to prioritize. So, we try to measure the size of one disservice against the size of another disservice, and go with the smallest.

There are many skills we don't teach anymore. Keyboarding classes don't teach you how to center text on letterhead by counting spaces anymore. It's a valuable skill to have, but there are other, more important skills, and we have to prioritize. So, we try to measure the size of one disservice against the size of another disservice, and go with the smallest.
Agreed. It seems basic math is a fairly important skill. I'm not seeing the benefits of teaching abstract math concepts over basic skills in arithmetic in the real world. I don't see the need for those skills going away any time soon. I do see a lot of young kids, 18-24, coming into my warehouses without basic math skills in the past 5 years or so and they struggle. The interesting thing is it's the kids that will end up in jobs like those in my field that need this, which is a larger percentage than will end up in college, but we are shifting away from teaching this basic skill. Not sure how learning abstract math helps them better than arithmetic skills would. I don't think academics always have the best view of what is needed in industry or business, and neither do politicians, but unfortunately it's almost exclusively these 2 groups that make these decisions.

I don't think academics always have the best view of what is needed in industry or business, and neither do politicians, but unfortunately it's almost exclusively these 2 groups that make these decisions.
You could be right, but those academics are consulting with businesspeople, unions, etc. as well as other academics to figure this stuff out, so it's not just a small, closed circle of information.

Why would someone need to count spaces when you can highlight the text and click center to center it?

You could be right, but those academics are consulting with businesspeople, unions, etc. as well as other academics to figure this stuff out, so it's not just a small, closed circle of information.
Not sure I agree with this, can you provide citations? Other academics of course, but I question both the depth of consultation and efficacy in terms of business and industry leaders. Also odds are the ones being consulted are the ones spending the most dollars lobbying, which isn't always in the best interest of the public.

I found this which was interesting...

The data in this study does support, at least at the correlational level, the notion that the ability to solve math problems by hand does have a connection to how well students are able to perform more advanced work that doesnot directly require computation but requires the ability to use higher-order quantitative reasoning skills which are assumed to be associated with physical brain development.
The correlations in our student would suggest that teaching students by requiring them to perform at least some math calculations and manipulations by hand could improve their ability to perform more complex quantitative reasoning. In an era of declining math performance it certainly seems like an option worthy of further study and research.

So, if there were an expansion, and we had to leave, say, 3 players unprotected. Who would you pick?

Not sure I agree with this, can you provide citations?

1) That study was well before Common Core was implemented
2) Unless I missed something, it's saying kids who learn calculations better also learn abstract processes better. That seems to be the expected result.

First page: talk of expansion and what it could mean.

Page five: talking about common core.

You guys are ****ing nerds.

Anyway, expansion would bolster the Jazz staying in Salt Lake long-term if they go into Las Vegas/Seattle, as those are the two markets I could theoretically see the Jazz relocating to if Ryan Smith tires of the limitations of the state.

I don't think it's nearly as bad as a lot of people are making it out to be.

Growing up the way I did math was pretty damn similar to the examples of common core that I've seen online. I would "show my work" and because that wasn't the way I was taught to do math the teachers gave me a hard time or wouldn't accept my work at all. Breaking numbers into multiple easy to work with pieces and then putting them back together just makes sense to me and makes math easy(er) for me, especially being able to do it in my head.

I kind of hate that instead of letting everyone learn the way they learn best they are now pushing common core. I kind of hate it, but at the same time this is something that was developed by a bunch of education experts and all I hear are mostly non-college educated 40, 50 and 60 something year olds making fun of it without really knowing what it is.

It’s dumb as ****. No one does math this way. A zillion engineers, professionals, college professors, etcetera have said as much. It’s just one more example about how really educated people come up with dumb ideas that work in a vacuum and think it’s smart to apply them everywhere.

Anyway, expansion would bolster the Jazz staying in Salt Lake long-term if they go into Las Vegas/Seattle, as those are the two markets I could theoretically see the Jazz relocating to if Ryan Smith tires of the limitations of the state.
Right?

Years ago, I was an active poster on this board and for quite some time now, I’d classify myself as an occasional dweller.

I never put much thought into why, but your post summed it up nicely. When I saw the thread title, I was excited to read 5 pages worth of talk about which teams would be moving East, who should the Jazz expose in an expansion draft, how sweet it will be to have the Supersonics back, etc.

Instead, it’s a 5 page intellectual dick measuring contest and not a mod in sight to get things back on track.

That’s 2022 Jazzfanz in a nutshell.

I never put much thought into why, but your post summed it up nicely. When I saw the thread title, I was excited to read 5 pages worth of talk about which teams would be moving East, who should the Jazz expose in an expansion draft, how sweet it will be to have the Supersonics back, etc.
Cool. Which teams do you think are primary candidates to move East, whom should the Jazz expose, and how do you feel about the Supersonics returning?

1. What is common core? Sorry haven’t followed this thread at all.
2. Didn’t Hail Miller make it so the jazz couldn’t move or was that relinquished when the team was sold, but at the same time I thought I heard even if sold they couldn’t move.

Look at the two Eastern finalists. In Game 7 both teams played eight players. By Homey math, that leaves eighteen players from just two teams that are expansion draft worthy. Have the league allow teams to freeze nine or ten players and there is your pool for the two teams.

The rules in 2004 when Charlotte came in.
  • Each team can protect up to eight players. If a team has less than eight players on its roster to protect, it still must leave a minimum of one player unprotected.
  • The expansion team must select a minimum of 14 players and can select a maximum of 29 players overall.
  • The expansion team can select only one player from any one NBA team.
  • The expansion team is not bound to the salary cap during the draft. They can take on as many contracts as they like. However, once the draft is over, any players they've drafted and keep will count toward their cap (it should come in at around $31 million).
  • As long as the expansion team waives a player selected in the expansion draft before the first day of the regular season, the player's remaining contract does not count against the team's salary cap.
  • Restricted free agents drafted in the expansion draft automatically become unrestricted free agents.
  • Teams are allowed to entice the expansion team to select players by offering cash, draft picks or agreeing to additional trades in return.
  • If a team has a player selected by the expansion team, the team receives a trade exception equal to the player's 2004-05 salary. This allows teams to replace a player lost in the expansion draft with another player of comparable salary.