What's new

NBA Free Agency Moves in General (related to the Jazz, but not just moves made by the Jazz)

So, do Westbrook and George decide they like playing with each other so much that they both leave to LA? lol.

Shocked!
Does GS have the cash to start paying the repeat offender penalties in 2 more years?

Yes. I'm wondering how they can keep Durant with just cap space though. They're over the cap and don't have his Bird rights. Can someone explain the dynamics on that? I thought they could only afford him because Curry was so damn cheap.

Teague officially signed for 3-years $57M a year. That comes out to $19M a year.

I'm wondering what Hill ends up getting. People are saying he turned down $20M a year during extension talks with Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

So we could have waited on our PG problem and got Hill for less than projected?

So we could have waited on our PG problem and got Hill for less than projected?
Maybe, maybe not and maybe his toe is ****ed and maybe we still sign Hill for much less than originally thought.

No one knows yet dude.

Locke was saying it might be a form of arthritis, which would make it a chronic condition. Will see what his market is.

Teague vs Rubio?

Could we have gotten Teague???

Rubio is a much better defender for sure, but Teague is a better shooter. Passing is a wash at the moment.

Teague > shooting
Rubio > every other facet of basketball.

Granted, I don't expect somebody who compared Lonzo Ball to LaVine to understand that.

Yes. I'm wondering how they can keep Durant with just cap space though. They're over the cap and don't have his Bird rights. Can someone explain the dynamics on that? I thought they could only afford him because Curry was so damn cheap.

NON-BIRD EXCEPTION -- This is also a component of the Veteran Free Agent exception. Its name is somewhat of a misnomer, since Non-Bird really is a form of Bird rights. Players who qualify for this exception are called "Non-Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA. They are veteran free agents who are neither Qualifying Veteran Free Agents nor Early Qualifying Veteran Free Agents, and include the following:
Players who finished the season with a given team, who have played no more than one season without clearing waivers or changing teams as a free agent.
Players who were Early Bird free agents, but whose team renounced its right to use the Early Bird exception to re-sign the player.
Players who were to be Larry Bird or Early Bird free agents, were playing on one-year contracts, and were traded mid-season.
This exception allows a team to re-sign its own free agent to a salary starting at up to 120% of his salary in the previous season2 (not over the maximum salary, of course), 120% of the minimum salary, or the amount needed to tender a qualifying offer (if the player is a restricted free agent -- see question number 44), whichever is greater. Raises are limited to 4.5% of the salary in the first year of the contract, and contracts are limited to four seasons when this exception is used.

I had to look it up, but I believe he falls under a non-bird exception, where they can go over to sign him, but are more limited in raises, length of contract and such.

Teagues at under 20 million per year? The Hill trade looks worse and worse every day.
Hindsight is great, isn't it? The plan was to extend Hill. HE was making what, $8M/per. Jazz brought him in, probably thinking they could extend him at $12M tops. But then he played like an all-star and decided he was worth more...much more. Reportedly, Jazz were willing to go as high as 4/$80M. Hill wanted a LOT more.

But Hayward was tired of losing. Do you think if Lindsey had not brought in Hill and JJ, but assembled the same old cast to compete for the 8th seed, the Jazz would even have a CHANCE at retaining Gordon? I don't.

You know what made it a bad trade? The years before. It was quickly apparent Burke was a bust. Everyone knew Dante was a project. But Lindsey was content to roll with 5 guys and a bunch of stiffs. What IF - instead of playing Elijah, C Johnson, etc., Lindsey had brought in a vet PG and a sixth man? Jazz make the playoffs the last 3 years. Hayward is happy, Jazz are improving. No drama. Instead, the Millers made MILLIONS by having the 28th lowest payroll in the league (30th last year). And now, Hayward likely wants to see Utah commit to spending to win before he'd ever consider remaining.

Maybe the remaining GMs left in the Hill hunt are dubious as to whether he can replicate what he did in Utah.