What's new

NBA Free Agency Moves in General (related to the Jazz, but not just moves made by the Jazz)

So the Jazz are at about 89 million without Hayward or Inlges. Hayward would but us at $119 million. The luxury cap spot is at 119. So If we waive Diaw we have 7 million to sign Ingles and still be under the tax level cap. I doubt we get him that cheap but that would be awesome. But if we dont get him I expect us to use the MLE on someone. Maybe we use the MLE anyways in anticipation of trades. I still am guessing that we do another trade that will probably include Diaw who is probably our most valuable asset that we are willing to trade.
$88M but we still have $29M in cap holds. I do see your logic. DL can always try to dump Burks. He talked about "rehabbing his value" (or was that Locke?). I'm kind of mixed on having Joe come back. Love the guy, but Utah now has a ton of wings and combo guards. How do you find enough time for Hood, Exum, Mitchell and Burks?

I'd really like to see Rubio and Hood start. And then Exum and Mitchell as the subs. Burks comes in when Hayward sits.

I think the Jazz will at least use part of it. I'm completely expecting them to move Burks at some point this season. Jazz have already gotten younger and cheaper at 3 spots this offseason. I think they'll do the same with Diaw.

If we sign Ingles for 14 million and then dump Burks and Diaw then we have 3 million that we could spend on the MLE without putting us in luxury tax land. Obviously getting Inlges for less hurts. I hope we just use all of the MLE and still make another big trade. Being in Luxury tax land is no problem for me. The Jazz have saved a lot of money over the last few years. As a fan I have still supported them and paid to go to many games, I hope they are willing to return the favor of putting the best team out there they can regardless of luxury tax. Not that they should be dumb with money.

If we sign Ingles for 14 million and then dump Burks and Diaw then we have 3 million that we could spend on the MLE without putting us in luxury tax land. Obviously getting Inlges for less hurts. I hope we just use all of the MLE and still make another big trade. Being in Luxury tax land is no problem for me. The Jazz have saved a lot of money over the last few years. As a fan I have still supported them and paid to go to many games, I hope they are willing to return the favor of putting the best team out there they can regardless of luxury tax. Not that they should be dumb with money.
I don't think your math is right. With Ingles at $12m and Hayward at the max, I think Utah is at ~$125M.

$88M but we still have $29M in cap holds. I do see your logic. DL can always try to dump Burks. He talked about "rehabbing his value" (or was that Locke?). I'm kind of mixed on having Joe come back. Love the guy, but Utah now has a ton of wings and combo guards. How do you find enough time for Hood, Exum, Mitchell and Burks?

Yep, that number is without all the cap holds. That is why I put up the more expected number of $119 without Ingles but still with Diaw. We will let go of the other cap holds when needed(besides the rookies but they are included in that $119). I am looking forward. I expect Burks to be gone eventually but they should hold on to him for awhile to see if his value can improve. We should not pay someone to take his contract. I also feel like if we bring back Hayward at max and Ingles for anything over about 12 million that Hood will not be with us by next season either, unless we sign him for a good deal on an extension.

If Hayward & Ingles stay
Gobert 22 Bradley 1 Bolomboy 1
Favors 12 JJ 11
Hayward 30 Burks 11
Ingles 12 Hood 2 Mitchell 3
Rubio 14 Exum 5 Neto 1

Total 126 (13 players)

Someone check my math

And I'm not sure how to paste tables. This was a nicely formatted Excel file.

Also, I think it's highly probable that we trade Favors; and it could be for a player who makes less.

I don't think your math is right. With Ingles at $12m and Hayward at the max, I think Utah is at ~$125M.

Yeah, I am probably slightly but I said with Ingles at 7 million we are right at the 119m. So if you have him at 12 that is 124. So my rounding might put underestimating at 1 million. But if Ingles is at 14 by your estimate that puts the Jazz at 127 million right? So if we dump Burks 10 million that puts us at 117. So ~2 million not 3 Million that we could use the MLE for and stay under the cap.

If Hayward & Ingles stay
Gobert 22 Bradley 1 Bolomboy 1
Favors 12 JJ 11
Hayward 30 Burks 11
Ingles 12 Hood 2 Mitchell 3
Rubio 14 Exum 5 Neto 1

Total 126 (13 players)

Someone check my math

And I'm not sure how to paste tables. This was a nicely formatted Excel file.

Seems close enough. So dump Burks and we are at 116? Room for 3 million at MLE if we do nothing else.

Also, I think it's highly probable that we trade Favors; and it could be for a player who makes less.

It seems likely we are making at least one more trade. But I also think we will use Diaws contract which will bring back salary that we cannot dump like his. I think at this point it is highly likely Diaw and Favors get traded. I also think its highly likely that by the trade deadline Burks gets traded. I also think unless Hood signs a good deal extension that he will be moved as well unless we dont bring back Inlges and Hayward. Or if we bring back Inlges for a really good deal.

If we are paying Ingles 14 million and Hayward 30 million how much do you think the team is willing to pay Hood? Can we afford to commit 64 million to those two spots? I think Hood or Ingles has to give am I wrong? Will hood get less than $20 million if he plays healthy and well next season?

People take this as me not liking Hood, which is not the case. Maybe we let Inlges go though if we cant keep him for less than $12?

It seems likely we are making at least one more trade. But I also think we will use Diaws contract which will bring back salary that we cannot dump like his. I think at this point it is highly likely Diaw and Favors get traded. I also think its highly likely that by the trade deadline Burks gets traded. I also think unless Hood signs a good deal extension that he will be moved as well unless we dont bring back Inlges and Hayward. Or if we bring back Inlges for a really good deal.

I'd be shocked if we moved Hood. Unless an All-Star was coming back in his place.

I'd be shocked if we moved Hood. Unless an All-Star was coming back in his place.

Pay Ingles pay Hayward... extend Hood at 15-18 is a good deal... I thought he'd asked 20+. Move him later if you need to. We should not be this concerned on the money side... move Burks or Favs and save some dough if you need to. Or use favs to get a better fitting less talented piece.

I asked it above but how much do you think Hood will demand in FA next year? How much do you think Ingles will get and will we match it?

I dont see us paying that much for Hood, Ingles and Hayward but maybe I am off. The new NBA contracts are all over the place and I dont have the best idea on them sometimes.

Pay Ingles pay Hayward... extend Hood at 15-18 is a good deal... I thought he'd asked 20+. Move him later if you need to. We should not be this concerned on the money side... move Burks or Favs and save some dough if you need to. Or use favs to get a better fitting less talented piece.

I guess if we keep Inlges at 12 and could get Hood at 15 then that is great and we retain both. I am worried those are conservative estimates.

I'd really like to see Rubio and Hood start. And then Exum and Mitchell as the subs. Burks comes in when Hayward sits.
I like this. Then we trade Favors, Neto and Diaw for Millsap assuming he makes no more than $20-25.

Rubio, Exum, NWG
Hood, Mitchell, Burks
Hayward, Johnson
Millsap, Bolomboy
Gobert, Bradley

That's a dynamic, amazing roster. I think we beat Houston and OKC with that.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I asked it above but how much do you think Hood will demand in FA next year? How much do you think Ingles will get and will we match it?

I dont see us paying that much for Hood, Ingles and Hayward but maybe I am off. The new NBA contracts are all over the place and I dont have the best idea on them sometimes.

True, but given our severe lack of shooting, I'd be very surprised if Hood is traded for a downgrade. We'll cross the extension bridge once we get to it.

I like this. Then we trade Favors, Neto and Diaw for Millsap assuming he makes no more than $20-25.

Rubio, Exum, NWG
Hood, Mitchell, Burks
Hayward, Johnson
Millsap, Bolomboy
Gobert, Bradley

That's a dynamic, amazing roster. I think we beat Houston and OKC with that.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

No Ingles in that scenario?

I guess if we keep Inlges at 12 and could get Hood at 15 then that is great and we retain both. I am worried those are conservative estimates.

I'd pay 15 for both. No sweat. I'd prepared myself for figures around 12 or 13 for Joe. 15 is obviously higher, but not so much that it's a deal breaker. And Hood will earn a contract in the 15 range, or slightly higher, in every year of that contract.

I'd pay 15 for both. No sweat. I'd prepared myself for figures around 12 or 13 for Joe. 15 is obviously higher, but not so much that it's a deal breaker. And Hood will earn a contract in the 15 range, or slightly higher, in every year of that contract.

If Hood is healthy and he shows improvements to his game, he might end up in the 20m range.