What's new

NBA Free Agency Moves in General (related to the Jazz, but not just moves made by the Jazz)

I think Minny only marginally improved by adding Teague. Im surprised they didn't go after Hill or Lowry.

I think Minny only marginally improved by adding Teague. Im surprised they didn't go after Hill or Lowry.

Lowry is the only guy that would've been an upgrade. Hard to say that Hill at more money and with the injury issues this last year is an upgrade over Rubio. And I like Hill - want the Jazz to possibly keep him if the numbers work.

With the Knicks and Nuggets rumored, I'm curious how much space under the cap each of those teams even has.

Anyone?

I wonder if 3/45 would get it done for Hill to stay here. That's 45M guaranteed and with a ****ed up toe and his supposed love for Hayward, maybe he bites the bullet and stays?

With the Knicks and Nuggets rumored, I'm curious how much space under the cap each of those teams even has.

Anyone?

I wonder if 3/45 would get it done for Hill to stay here. That's 45M guaranteed and with a ****ed up toe and his supposed love for Hayward, maybe he bites the bullet and stays?

Denver has around 2 million in cap room. They could shed another 9.5 rather easily by renouncing Roy Hibbert's cap hold and dumping Mike Miller's non guaranteed contract. Then they have other smallish contracts they can move if need be. Getting around 15-20 million in room probably wouldn't be tough for them.

New York is currently about 8 million over the cap. They have like 6 million dollars of cap holds and non guaranteed contracts on roster filler type guys that they could dump. If they were wanting to sign Hill they could dump all of those contracts plus the renounce the cap hold on Rose which is 22 million. That would get them around 20 million in space.

Tony Jones of the SLTrib already said Hill is gone. Done. Door closed.

If I'm the Jazz I do the counter-intuitive - I sell Hayward on the Western conference. I tell him what kind of a joke the East is. I tell him that after all the trades of marquee stars from the East to the West now more than ever any achievement in the East comes with an asterisk. Does he want to battle with the best every night and measure himself against the best of the best or does he want to take the easy way out and get crushed in the finals. Does he want to be in a conference almost equivalent to a minor league to the real NBA - the West. I tell him we believe we can be competitive with you in the West, we can be a 60 wins team with a bit more health and internal development from the young players. Nobody can ignore or dismiss the leader of a this western conference home advantage team. I also challenge him to make yet another jump in his game. From what I've seen from him, he enjoys the challenge. You don't improve 7 years in a row in the league if you don't have insane drive to improve and get your team better.

We were already heading towards being a treadmill team. Lindsey "skipped steps" in the rebuild. Seriously, is there a huge difference between drafting 12th and 16th? Jazz were never going to be bad enough to do the Philly shuffle. Doing a true rebuild would have required trading Favs, Hayward, Burks (at the time he was thought of as a "core" player) in order to get 2-3 Top-5 picks. That's how you rebuild. For whatever Lindsey says, it was not a true rebuild.

Jazz could have had the exact same team, minus Exum, and made the playoffs every year after the Burke draft. Just look at where they would have picked as a 6th-8th seed and deduct the extra picks or positioning from losing. The other difference is that they would have been in the middle of the pack salary wise by adding a couple of vets. Millers went cheap and scraped the plate for every last dollar before Gail stepped in and set up the board. It was very evident - and the reason she did it - that the boys didn't have the passion for basketball and the Jazz that Larry H. had.

Now that said, Lindsey has made up for his draft mistakes by working trades and free agency. He also picked a helluva coach, I don't doubt for ONE SECOND that having Quin (instead of Sloan and Ty) isn't driving players to consider Utah. JJ came knocking on the door; I think that surprised everyone. Other decent names are on the list of those allegedly wanting to play for the Jazz. Teo wants in. Mitchell wanted in.
When rebuilding you don't trade young, talented players with lots of upside.
Jazz management tried to make the Jax suck as much as they could. Sometimes the players don't co-operate, the players don't get injured enough, the lottery doesn't go your way, and your lottery picks you tanked for don't pan out.
Building championship caliber teams,are not easy imo.

Utah traded #12 to Atlanta. Indy traded Hill to Utah. Atlanta traded Teague to Indy.

Had we traded #12 for Teague, we would have had a healthy Teague for 82 games, not 49 like Hill.

We would have won more games. If we finish second in the West, Teague re-signs for 20 per (which I said that is what he would get and I was mocked her for saying), and Hayward is committed to coming back...

Damn. I'd take that over what we are doing now.
Dat knowing the future and knowing hill would be hurt and teague not get hurt doe.

You still like Teague more than Hill? Even after I've wrecked your arguments to the point that you won't respond even after I quote and tag you?

Damn man. When did you become so irrational?
Since forever

This is kind of like when the Utes decided to join the pac-12 and BYU decided to go independent.

The Utes knew it would be tough, but they also knew that the only way to become better was to face tougher competition. Sure enough, after playing with the big boys for several years, the Utes program rose and they became another one of the big boys.

Byu decided to play a bunch of little schools and shy away from competition, in order to make their win/loss record look more impressive than it really was. And because of this, they did not challenge themselves to get better, and therefore took their rightful place as little sister to the big boys.

Now I have no doubt, that for some people, being little sister is just fine, but I don't believe that is Gordon Hayward. Once the dust has settled, I expect Hayward to be challenging himself amongst the big boys.
You think byu doesn't want to be in a p5 conference? Dumbass.

Why in the eff did they pass on Fultz? Sixers punked the Celtics. That's going to burn fans out there for years.
Eh, fultz could bust. Dude Celts drafted could be a star.
Too early

So the Jazz are at about 89 million without Hayward or Inlges. Hayward would but us at $119 million. The luxury cap spot is at 119. So If we waive Diaw we have 7 million to sign Ingles and still be under the tax level cap. I doubt we get him that cheap but that would be awesome. But if we dont get him I expect us to use the MLE on someone. Maybe we use the MLE anyways in anticipation of trades. I still am guessing that we do another trade that will probably include Diaw who is probably our most valuable asset that we are willing to trade.

So the Jazz are at about 89 million without Hayward or Inlges. Hayward would but us at $119 million. The luxury cap spot is at 119. So If we waive Diaw we have 7 million to sign Ingles and still be under the tax level cap. I doubt we get him that cheap but that would be awesome. But if we dont get him I expect us to use the MLE on someone. Maybe we use the MLE anyways in anticipation of trades. I still am guessing that we do another trade that will probably include Diaw who is probably our most valuable asset that we are willing to trade.

I think we use the MLE regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Even if we are already in Luxury tax land? That salary from the MLE gets very expensive.
I think the Jazz will at least use part of it. I'm completely expecting them to move Burks at some point this season. Jazz have already gotten younger and cheaper at 3 spots this offseason. I think they'll do the same with Diaw.