What's new

NBA Free Agency Moves in General (related to the Jazz, but not just moves made by the Jazz)

soap_box.jpg

The NBA is so damn frustrating. For years Boston media and fans talked about getting hayward like he was theirs and the Jazz were wrongfully holding him. Now they have set their sights on Anthony Davis. Like Haynerd, Davis is still under contract with his current team, but no matter, the boston-centric media is pushing the stories about how the Pelicans had better trade with Boston soon. The constant stories will create pressure on AD and the Pelicans even if there was no pressure before.

David Stern envisioned a league with two marketable stars to a team, where most teams could make a convincing argument they could make the playoffs.

The league now is mess, where media, fans and players get bored in the season, teh offseason draws more attention than the games, and teh league is imploding into a handful of super teams and an unwitting farm system.

Adam Silver is riding The NBA haywagon down a hill, shouting "Look at me, I am going faster!" Painfully unawares of the cliff he is racing towards.

-Step off soap box.
Lol

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

soap_box.jpg

The NBA is so damn frustrating. For years Boston media and fans talked about getting hayward like he was theirs and the Jazz were wrongfully holding him. Now they have set their sights on Anthony Davis. Like Haynerd, Davis is still under contract with his current team, but no matter, the boston-centric media is pushing the stories about how the Pelicans had better trade with Boston soon. The constant stories will create pressure on AD and the Pelicans even if there was no pressure before.

David Stern envisioned a league with two marketable stars to a team, where most teams could make a convincing argument they could make the playoffs.

The league now is mess, where media, fans and players get bored in the season, teh offseason draws more attention than the games, and teh league is imploding into a handful of super teams and an unwitting farm system.

Adam Silver is riding The NBA haywagon down a hill, shouting "Look at me, I am going faster!" Painfully unawares of the cliff he is racing towards.

-Step off soap box.

I called the Anthony Davis thing months ago. About three weeks ago on here I think.

There has been a ton of pressure on the Pelicans for the last few years because they have made terrible decisions. It has nothing to do with the media. Stop crying.

Player movement happens. Teams want the best players. There are Jazz fans here talking about Lillard to the Jazz because he went to college in Utah and had a rap line about wanting to play for Jerry Sloan.

Agents get a percentage cut of salary. If Bolomboy makes less money, his agent makes less money.

From what I understood the jazz would be cutting bolomboy but the contract is guaranteed so the money doesn't change. At least I thought it was guaranteed but maybe I'm wrong.

Either way, doesn't the agent get his % when the contract is signed? Seems that the agents job is to get his client the contract. From there it seems like it would be the clients job to perform well enough to get his team to want to keep him. Once that contract is signed the agent has done his job imo. The agent can't have any effect on if bolomboy sucks on the court after the contract is signed right?

From what I understood the jazz would be cutting bolomboy but the contract is guaranteed so the money doesn't change. At least I thought it was guaranteed but maybe I'm wrong.

Either way, doesn't the agent get his % when the contract is signed? Seems that the agents job is to get his client the contract. From there it seems like it would be the clients job to perform well enough to get his team to want to keep him. Once that contract is signed the agent has done his job imo. The agent can't have any effect on if bolomboy sucks on the court after the contract is signed right?
He is partially guaranteed for 425K. If he doesn't get cut he makes a million.

I already told you agents get a percentage cut of the players salary.

Player makes less the agent makes less.

Doesn't make sense. If I pay someone to get me a job and a contract and he does, then he lived up to what I was paying him to do.
Then If I call in sick all the time and underperform and get fired then I don't see how that has anything to do with him and I don't think he should be penalized.

Doesn't seem right. Oh well.

Interesting news....Gallinari said during the Italian national team Media Day that Boston was seriously interested in him but he had to wait Hayward decision. In little words he was the Celtics Plan B.

He said he has chosen the Clippers at the end because they put pressure on him to take a decision.

It most likely means that Gallo wasn't a concrete option for the Jazz.

Doesn't make sense. If I pay someone to get me a job and a contract and he does, then he lived up to what I was paying him to do.
Then If I call in sick all the time and underperform and get fired then I don't see how that has anything to do with him and I don't think he should be penalized.

Doesn't seem right. Oh well.

I dont follow your logic at all. What penalty is the agent getting? He gets paid how the player gets paid. Agents invest in players. Sometimes they dont pan out and sometimes they do. If he wanted guaranteed payout, he should have gotten his player more guaranteed money.

I dont follow your logic at all. What penalty is the agent getting? He gets paid how the player gets paid. Agents invest in players. Sometimes they dont pan out and sometimes they do. If he wanted guaranteed payout, he should have gotten his player more guaranteed money.
He seems to be getting penalized by bolomboy sucking. Oh well.

He seems to be getting penalized by bolomboy sucking. Oh well.

No. That's on the agent for investing in Bolomboy, if he wanted guaranteed money from Bolomboy, he should have gotten Bolomboy more guaranteed money. IDK how making 50,000 off a guy is getting penalized, but sure. Agents sign rookies before the draft. It's a bunch of gambles. I'm sure Bartelstein has signed guys who dont even get NBA contracts and he paid for all their off-season training heading into the draft.

Sometimes you get lucky and you get in on a great player like Hayward and now he is going to get $1,500,000 a year for the next 3 years for that investment (I believe most agents get 5% cut, might be more, but not much). Sometimes you get the fringe NBA player who gets cut.

If I was the pelicans I would be interested in seeing what the Celtics are willing to offer. I mean a handfull of their draft picks could quickly create a rebuild around cousins

Yeah, Cousins is not a guy you rebuild around....or ideally, even have on your team.

This idea of trading a superstar player for uncertain draft picks doesn't make much sense to me. If I were the Pelicans, I'd want a real known quantity like Porzingis, Ben Simmons, etc. rather than draft picks that might end up being in the 4 - 8 range.