What's new

Nemanja Bjelica

Sounds like he is done in the NBA... I think he would stay if he got a multi year deal... depending on taxes and such he likely makes as much or more over there. I think they like Minny and Philly maybe wasn't their cup of tea. Might have been able to keep him had they offered multiyear security.

I'm guessing he signs a multi year contract in Europe and stays.

So now the Kings are signing this guy... not sure how this is legal for Bjelica to agree and change his mind... then pick another nba team.

Not sure when they agreed but it was outside the maratorium I believe.

So now the Kings are signing this guy... not sure how this is legal for Bjelica to agree and change his mind... then pick another nba team.

Not sure when they agreed but it was outside the maratorium I believe.
So do you think this is misdemeanor and community service, or felony jail time?

So do you think this is misdemeanor and community service, or felony jail time?

Just a shady deal... no penalty... just think I’d be pissed if I was the sixers... not sure they can force performance on a verbal agreement... I guess Deandre got out of it years ago.

Just a shady deal... no penalty... just think I’d be pissed if I was the sixers... not sure they can force performance on a verbal agreement... I guess Deandre got out of it years ago.
Good point. I don't like it though. Without knowing what the verbal sounded like, I wish verbal agreements would have more claws.

I guess Deandre got out of it years ago.
Yeah but did Vivek have him tied to a chair while Vlade exhaled his cigarette smoke on him, waiting out the time until he could sign with Sacramento and leave Philly in the dust?

2e9ips.jpg

LOL - if he did this to Utah after agreeing to a deal in principle this thread would now be on page 93...

Jelly took care of his own and own - there's nothing wrong like that. Like you imply - just wasn't the best way to go about it. As someone said earlier he's probably done with the NBA as much as they're now done with him.

And the earlier comparisons to Boozer are Jordan are asinine. You're talking a role player vs. NBA All-Stars. The rules aren't the same for everyone - welcome to the real world.

His offer was two years 18 million, wasnt it? Pretty sure that's higher than anything else I've seen in Euroleague

edit: never mind, 1 yr 4.4 million. Yeah, that sucks. I'd also go to Europe unless the Kings had the hookup.

Until he sign’s a contract he can do whatever he wants

Really?!?!? I’m not 100% sure on this.

So why wouldn’t a free agent agree on something and then keep shopping for a better offer... or why can’t a team do the same thing... like with Ersan, say the bucks see what someone else is willing to sign for and then changes their mind and signs them... Ersan can’t sue for some financial damages?

I just don’t know how you enforce it on the team side.

Another example... a lot of guys wait to sign because if you do things in the right order you create cap space. Like joe Harris hasn’t signed yet because they are using space first and he has a low cap hold... what if they say never mind Joe... there aren’t teams with space left so he might not get an offer that gets close to what he verbally agreed to.

I’m glad it happened to the Sixers... eff those tanking, arrogant, burner account turds.

So why wouldn’t a free agent agree on something and then keep shopping for a better offer... or why can’t a team do the same thing... like with Ersan, say the bucks see what someone else is willing to sign for and then changes their mind and signs them... Ersan can’t sue for some financial damages?

Reputations matter. If as an agent or a team, you develop a reputation of ignoring verbal commitments, no on ewill trust you anymore. Players have shorter careers, and less to lose that way.

Reputations matter. If as an agent or a team, you develop a reputation of ignoring verbal commitments, no on ewill trust you anymore. Players have shorter careers, and less to lose that way.

Not necessarily... Jordan and the mavens reconciled.

I just think I’d have a really hard time with a player agreeing then taking a bigger offer later if the offer was made legally after free agency had opened.

A contract isn't a contract until it's signed. If the Kings are going to give him more years, more dough, or both, more power to him.

A contract isn't a contract until it's signed. If the Kings are going to give him more years, more dough, or both, more power to him.

This is not necessarily true... a verbal agreement is enforceable in some cases. I'm fairly sure that if the shoe was on the other foot Bjelica could seek financial restitution. I think forcing performance is too tough and no team would pursue it.

Again - if this was the Jazz we'd all have a different opinion of this move... imagine getting a commitment... making other moves or foregoing other moves and then having this happen when the cupboards are bare. Say next year Niko does this to us... 2 weeks later says nah I'm going somewhere else for more... we gonna be cheering him for "getting his".

The Bjelica deal is small so it isn't a big deal... I could see this being a problem in the future if it became more common place.

I just don’t know how you enforce it on the team side.

Another example... a lot of guys wait to sign because if you do things in the right order you create cap space. Like joe Harris hasn’t signed yet because they are using space first and he has a low cap hold... what if they say never mind Joe... there aren’t teams with space left so he might not get an offer that gets close to what he verbally agreed to.

I’m glad it happened to the Sixers... eff those tanking, arrogant, burner account turds.
No, they can't sue. The Bucks could not sign him, but that would really damage the agent/team relationship. Players can do it because their agents are really powerful. It's not like the league can blackball Priority Sports and all the players they represent. That's why players sign on to big agencies. You might be a mid-level player, but teams know if they do you dirty like that, then your agent could hold it over their head later by not having their higher profile client meet with them, or not having their draft clients agree to workouts.

No, they can't sue. The Bucks could not sign him, but that would really damage the agent/team relationship. Players can do it because their agents are really powerful. It's not like the league can blackball Priority Sports and all the players they represent. That's why players sign on to big agencies. You might be a mid-level player, but teams know if they do you dirty like that, then your agent could hold it over their head later by not having their higher profile client meet with them, or not having their draft clients agree to workouts.

I’ll bet the player could sue... if they relied on the verbal agreement then had clear monetary damages I’ll bet they’d win.