What's new

Netflix recs?

So my kids wanted to see all the karate kid movies, all currently on Netflix. At least the 3 with Ralph Macchio. Holy ****ing hell was #3 an epic ****-show. Worst story, worst bad guy, unbelievably terrible premise, horrific acting. Ugh. And it wasn't even enough over the top to make it campy and fun to watch. It was just painful to watch. I seem to remember it as not that bad, but it is really all the worst things about 80's movies rolled into one putrescent mass.

I don't think I ever saw Karate Kid 3. I'll keep it that way. I did watch the original a few months ago and was thoroughly entertained yet again.

The doc Fear City was good. Felt like it could’ve been more detailed and 4-5 episodes instead of 3. Talk about the rise of the mafia in this country and how the five bosses came into power. Include more on how exactly they got their claws into and ran certain industries like trucking, waste, etc. Would’ve been exceptional then.

My wife and I have been watching "Midnight Diner" on netflix. It's a Japanese show (subtitles) about a small diner that is open from midnight to 7am and attracts an unusual set of customers. Each episode features a unique dish.

Just watched the divine ponytail film on the great Roberto Baggio, the film surprised me and didn't end with his missed penalty in the World Cup in 94 but took on the story of his push for the 2002 world cup team in Korea and Japan, I remember the groundswell of support from pundits and the public for his inclusion at that world cup. Remarkable player.

The doc Fear City was good. Felt like it could’ve been more detailed and 4-5 episodes instead of 3. Talk about the rise of the mafia in this country and how the five bosses came into power. Include more on how exactly they got their claws into and ran certain industries like trucking, waste, etc. Would’ve been exceptional then.
Thumbs up for Fear City—back when Giuliani was halfway sane. The Kominsky Method, season 3, dropped yesterday. It has a Grumpy Old Men vibe, which I’m becoming familiar with way too quickly. Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin perfect for the show.

So I stumbled on this article on Netflix as I was browsing the bedrock of journalism, Yahoo.

They talk about how Netflix has not grown at the same rate as if it’s some major problem which I have a big issue with but that’s for another time. The focus is on Netflix and how it could grow more. Seems to me, outside of the live sports programming mentioned in the article, Netflix could really benefit by doing two things:

1. Begin having show(s) that only air once a week like old school tv. Sure, this goes against the grain about what the streaming model is in 2021 but I think people crave this. Water cooler tv is sorely missed IMO. Look at shows like Mare of Easttown. That week of dialogue between friends and co-workers, the speculation about whodunit, and reading articles online is attractive. Very attractive. Netflix doesn’t have to end streaming entire seasons at once altogether. Hardly. I simply think the addition of one show like this (at first) could be huge and an added weapon in their arsenal. Murder mysteries are probably the best genre for this. Others could be as well I suppose. If it works with one show, maybe do this 2-4x a year.
2) Quality over quantity. The amount of garbage on Netflix is seemingly endless. I wonder how much it costs to film their movies that cater to the dumbest common denominator. I’m guessing between 2-5M. And there are sooooo many of them. Shows too. Would they not be better off filming 80 crappy movies a year instead of 100 and utilizing that money on say 1-2 movies of better quality to attract an audience with brains as well? Idk what the solution is here but sifting through piles upon piles of garbage, and looking at the time to see it’s then an hour later, has become an act in futility. One other route would be to add better older movies from say pre 1990. Not necessarily the obvious ones like Chinatown which is on there now I believe but some really good 2nd and 3rd tier movies which would attract an older audience and probably not cost very much for Netflix to gain their rights. Seriously, if they stopped filming just five crappy films a year and saved 10 million, I’d have to think they could add many, many older films, thus broadening their consumer base.

Last edited:
Just watched the divine ponytail film on the great Roberto Baggio, the film surprised me and didn't end with his missed penalty in the World Cup in 94 but took on the story of his push for the 2002 world cup team in Korea and Japan, I remember the groundswell of support from pundits and the public for his inclusion at that world cup. Remarkable player.

I was sitting in Lygon Court watching when he missed that penalty. Amazing to watch 80-90 year old Italian men losing their **** and throwing tables and chairs around like WWE wrestlers lol

I was sitting in Lygon Court watching when he missed that penalty. Amazing to watch 80-90 year old Italian men losing their **** and throwing tables and chairs around like WWE wrestlers lol

I was watching from the ballroom of a 5 star hotel in Malta, the power had gone out to the rooms but the ballroom had generator power so we watched extra time from there with all the other guests. Coming from an Italian family I was supporting the Azzurri, Baggio had had an amazing cup. (for what its worth I always support Australia, even when we play the wops,. Went to Australia v Italy, first game of the Sydney Olympics at the G with my grandfather, who is a Knight of the realm over there, we were both supporting the Joeys)

Its a weird thing, my family is Italian, I do not feel remotely Italian, we're not actually Italian we're Furlan. All of my family takes the attitude that we came here to make our lives and we are part of this community. My Nonno (grandfather) left an italian club that he helped found cause of dago ******** and joined his local RSL, bowled there for 30 years. End of his life e said to us "**** Italy, all it did was keep me poor, send me to war, kill my brothers (he lost three brothers during the war), I came to Australia, it gave me everything, my daughters everything and my grand kids everything, I'm Australian." funny thing was he said it in Italian cause he'd forgotten how to speak English. Feel so lucky to have had a mentor like that.

I was watching from the ballroom of a 5 star hotel in Malta, the power had gone out to the rooms but the ballroom had generator power so we watched extra time from there with all the other guests. Coming from an Italian family I was supporting the Azzurri, Baggio had had an amazing cup. (for what its worth I always support Australia, even when we play the wops,. Went to Australia v Italy, first game of the Sydney Olympics at the G with my grandfather, who is a Knight of the realm over there, we were both supporting the Joeys)

Its a weird thing, my family is Italian, I do not feel remotely Italian, we're not actually Italian we're Furlan. All of my family takes the attitude that we came here to make our lives and we are part of this community. My Nonno (grandfather) left an italian club that he helped found cause of dago ******** and joined his local RSL, bowled there for 30 years. End of his life e said to us "**** Italy, all it did was keep me poor, send me to war, kill my brothers (he lost three brothers during the war), I came to Australia, it gave me everything, my daughters everything and my grand kids everything, I'm Australian." funny thing was he said it in Italian cause he'd forgotten how to speak English. Feel so lucky to have had a mentor like that.

that is so cool mate ..

So I stumbled on this article on Netflix as I was browsing the bedrock of journalism, Yahoo.

They talk about how Netflix has not grown at the same rate as if it’s some major problem which I have a big issue with but that’s for another time. The focus is on Netflix and how it could grow more. Seems to me, outside of the live sports programming mentioned in the article, Netflix could really benefit by doing two things:

1. Begin having show(s) that only air once a week like old school tv. Sure, this goes against the grain about what the streaming model is in 2021 but I think people crave this. Water cooler tv is sorely missed IMO. Look at shows like Mare of Easttown. That week of dialogue between friends and co-workers, the speculation about whodunit, and reading articles online is attractive. Very attractive. Netflix doesn’t have to end streaming entire seasons at once altogether. Hardly. I simply think the addition of one show like this (at first) could be huge and an added weapon in their arsenal. Murder mysteries are probably the best genre for this. Others could be as well I suppose. If it works with one show, maybe do this 2-4x a year.
2) Quality over quantity. The amount of garbage on Netflix is seemingly endless. I wonder how much it costs to film their movies that cater to the dumbest common denominator. I’m guessing between 2-5M. And there are sooooo many of them. Shows too. Would they not be better off filming 80 crappy movies a year instead of 100 and utilizing that money on say 1-2 movies of better quality to attract an audience with brains as well? Idk what the solution is here but sifting through piles upon piles of garbage, and looking at the time to see it’s then an hour later, has become an act in futility. One other route would be to add better older movies from say pre 1990. Not necessarily the obvious ones like Chinatown which is on there now I believe but some really good 2nd and 3rd tier movies which would attract an older audience and probably not cost very much for Netflix to gain their rights. Seriously, if they stopped filming just five crappy films a year and saved 10 million, I’d have to think they could add many, many older films, thus broadening their consumer base.
I think you make some good points but there’s a lot of garbage on all the streaming services. The sheer volume of content leads to many questionable productions that include redundant plot lines, mediocre acting, and sub-par directing. If any premium/streaming service has just a few hit shows, the resulting subscriptions pay the bills. I’ll give you the Netflix response—I have a favorite niece that works for Netflix in LA and she’s in with the muckety mucks so I have some perspective on this. Netflix has a defined culture and overall, despite some ups and downs, they’ve been wildly successful with that culture. They’re a major reason that these other streaming services, in their current format, are playing follow-the-leader and exist at all. Now you’re suggesting Netflix be more like these other types of programming they displaced? No doubt entertainment in general is an adapt or lose-the-draft type of genre (just ask Blockbuster and several others) but Netflix is swimming in dough. Also, going back to culture, Netflix tends to have productions that are very targeted towards a specific audience, often on the younger and liberal side. Sometimes that leads olds like me to tune-out rather than tune-in but that’s more of a personal observation (e.g. I think Stranger Things is pretty meh but it’s extremely popular). Anyway, the stories I’ve heard (not for dissemination here)! But yeah, no-doubt there’s a lot of crap out there.

I think you make some good points but there’s a lot of garbage on all the streaming services. The sheer volume of content leads to many questionable productions that include redundant plot lines, mediocre acting, and sub-par directing. If any premium/streaming service has just a few hit shows, the resulting subscriptions pay the bills. I’ll give you the Netflix response—I have a favorite niece that works for Netflix in LA and she’s in with the muckety mucks so I have some perspective on this. Netflix has a defined culture and overall, despite some ups and downs, they’ve been wildly successful with that culture. They’re a major reason that these other streaming services, in their current format, are playing follow-the-leader and exist at all. Now you’re suggesting Netflix be more like these other types of programming they displaced? No doubt entertainment in general is an adapt or lose-the-draft type of genre (just ask Blockbuster and several others) but Netflix is swimming in dough. Also, going back to culture, Netflix shows tends to have productions that are very targeted towards a specific audience, often on the younger and liberal side. Sometimes that leads olds like me to tune-out rather than tune-in but that’s more of a personal observation (e.g. I think Stranger Things is pretty meh but it’s extremely popular). Anyway, the stories I’ve heard (not for dissemination here)! But yeah, no-doubt there’s a lot of crap out there.

Not true to this extent. Amazon’s quality to **** ratio is much better than Netflix’s.

And I’m not saying to stop producing crap in its entirety. I’m saying to produce only 80% of the crap they do produce and use that money on **** I recommended. They’ll never have the breadth of weekly programming that HBO has had for the last 20 years but there’s no reason they can’t also try to weave in such weekly programming here and there.

Not true to this extent. Amazon’s quality to **** ratio is much better than Netflix’s.

And I’m not saying to stop producing crap in its entirety. I’m saying to produce only 80% of the crap they do produce and use that money on **** I recommended. They’ll never have the breadth of weekly programming that HBO has had for the last 20 years but there’s no reason they can’t also try to weave in such weekly programming here and there.
I haven’t kept an official ratio but I also have Prime and don’t agree with that assessment—but there’s only a few shows I watch on either at the moment.

I haven’t kept an official ratio but I also have Prime and don’t agree with that assessment—but there’s only a few shows I watch on either at the moment.

Trust me. I spend hours going through Netflix. Far less going through Prime.

I never watch prime.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Binged Startup on Netflix over the last couple weeks—actually a Crackle production that Netflix purchased. Like lot of current streaming productions it has a combo of good and could-have-been better stuff. Interesting story line with a lot of twists (IMO of course). Some of the actors didn’t seem to fit the roles well. Also a lot filler that I FFWD through—I don’t need to see someone staring at the ocean contemplating all the rights and wrongs of life for 5 minutes (lot of filler in these streaming series). Would recommend though, kept me interested enough.

Almost done with Ted Lasso on Apple TV—highly recommend. Well done all the way around.

Bosch
Jack Ryan
Upload

All very good Prime shows.
Huh. Maybe I will check them out.
I watched a bit of Jack Ryan and I really like the lead actor so maybe I will try that again.
And I will admit that I watched and liked The Boys

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app