What's new

Netflix recs?

really?

netherlands has netflix since september.

different catolog then USA though

That is what it said when I tried to log on with my laptop, that it isn't available in this country.

If you're a foodie, the 1st season of The Mind of a Chef with David Chang is ****ing fantastic!

I just started Ken Burns' The War.

main_photo.jpg

The 2007 series from PBS. I think I'll probably go through his whole filmography. Anyway, it's fantastic and not a bad way to brush up on your history.

I just started Ken Burns' The War.

main_photo.jpg

The 2007 series from PBS. I think I'll probably go through his whole filmography. Anyway, it's fantastic and not a bad way to brush up on your history.

What's his spin? Or does he do a relatively good job of keeping it spin free?

What's his spin? Or does he do a relatively good job of keeping it spin free?

Man, I don't know. If there is a spin, I don't see it. So far, a lot of it is what I learned in school. Obviously, it's a little more in depth and I'm learning the particulars in a more exact fashion.

The opening episode focuses on 4 families from around the country and how they learned about the war, the time leading up to the war and what they did once America went to war. It touches on family life, getting drafted, serving, experiences, etc.

What is unexpected but welcomed from my opinion, is that the families are not just white folks. There's a Japanese family from Northern California and a black family from the South, I think. Because you know, not just white folks fought in the war and contributed. The experiences are the same but different.

The first episode alone is 2 hours. I think there are 8 episodes.

Last edited:
Can someone sell me on Netflix? I have off this summer and am gonna fly through about 10-15 epic tv shows on Netflix that I've never seen or at least ne'er seen in their entirety like Twin Peaks, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Deadwood, Oz and another handful or two but after that, I'm leaning toward canceling. Their movie selection is God awful. TBH, I have Amazon Prime and am gonna check if those shows are available there because if they are, I'll just cancel now.

Can someone sell me on Netflix? I have off this summer and am gonna fly through about 10-15 epic tv shows on Netflix that I've never seen or at least ne'er seen in their entirety like Twin Peaks, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Deadwood, Oz and another handful or two but after that, I'm leaning toward canceling. Their movie selection is God awful. TBH, I have Amazon Prime and am gonna check if those shows are available there because if they are, I'll just cancel now.

Have you watched House of Cards? If not I'd watch it before you cancel.

Anyone that thinks they are going to get 100% of what they want for 8 bucks a month is being silly. You probably need to supplement either of them with a rental service.(pay per video) Netflix still has a larger library than Amazon prime but you probably have Amazon prime for other reasons. The Netflix library can be too large to deal with somtimes but they are pretty darn good at knowing what you'll like. If you haven't watched a lot yet and you haven't rated any shows then they don't really know what to put in front of you. Try rating some TV shows and movies so that they can find the hidden gems for you.

Netflix is supposedly investing $1bn to acquire new content this year and they usually don't put up as much new content during the summer than the fall and winter for obvious reasons. I don't know how much of an overlap there is between the 2. If the content is significantly different, for less than $10 a month why not both?

https://lifehacker.com/tv-streaming-head-to-head-netflix-vs-hulu-vs-amazon-pr-1536006625

Have you watched House of Cards? If not I'd watch it before you cancel.

Anyone that thinks they are going to get 100% of what they want for 8 bucks a month is being silly. You probably need to supplement either of them with a rental service.(pay per video) Netflix still has a larger library than Amazon prime but you probably have Amazon prime for other reasons. The Netflix library can be too large to deal with somtimes but they are pretty darn good at knowing what you'll like. If you haven't watched a lot yet and you haven't rated any shows then they don't really know what to put in front of you. Try rating some TV shows and movies so that they can find the hidden gems for you.

Netflix is supposedly investing $1bn to acquire new content this year and they usually don't put up as much new content during the summer than the fall and winter for obvious reasons. I don't know how much of an overlap there is between the 2. If the content is significantly different, for less than $10 a month why not both?

https://lifehacker.com/tv-streaming-head-to-head-netflix-vs-hulu-vs-amazon-pr-1536006625

I've seen House of Cards. It's great. And for me, I'm paying $100 a year for Amazon Prine which gets me the free shipping on most everything (and pays for itself) as well as access to the streaming. You do have to pay extra for a decent amount of their streaming content but I guess I just figure that if I bang out all of these tv shows this summer, I'll have pretty much no reason to keep Netflix. Maybe I'll rejoin for two months next summer and bang out some movies, docs and tv shows that I ne'er viewed over the previous two months but I don't know. Literally, 90% of the movies I want to watch aren't available via streaming or at all. For example, I really want to watch Malick's Badlands but it's not available on streaming or DVD, at least based on the last time I checked. With the death of Blockbuster and such, trying to watch some older classics has become increasingly difficult if not impossible. And I can't rationalize paying $20 to most likely watch a film once.

I've seen House of Cards. It's great. And for me, I'm paying $100 a year for Amazon Prine which gets me the free shipping on most everything (and pays for itself) as well as access to the streaming. You do have to pay extra for a decent amount of their streaming content but I guess I just figure that if I bang out all of these tv shows this summer, I'll have pretty much no reason to keep Netflix. Maybe I'll rejoin for two months next summer and bang out some movies, docs and tv shows that I ne'er viewed over the previous two months but I don't know. Literally, 90% of the movies I want to watch aren't available via streaming or at all. For example, I really want to watch Malick's Badlands but it's not available on streaming or DVD, at least based on the last time I checked. With the death of Blockbuster and such, trying to watch some older classics has become increasingly difficult if not impossible. And I can't rationalize paying $20 to most likely watch a film once.

It sounds like you might like netflix dvd(their original service)There is https://dvd.netflix.com/SubscriptionAdd

If you mail throw them in the mailbox after you've watched them it's a great deal. I cancelled because of redbox but have been thinking of doing it again because everytime I rent from redbox the disc is scratched to all hell.

I miss blockbuster.

I took Hulu Plus on a free trial spin too a few weeks after that Netflix one and that seemed a lot better. If nothing else, the ease of the menu navigation made you feel like there were more options than Netflix. It seemed like it had a ton of interesting documentaries that Netflix didn't have. Both were still underwhelming considering how big these companies are.

I took Hulu Plus on a free trial spin too a few weeks after that Netflix one and that seemed a lot better. If nothing else, the ease of the menu navigation made you feel like there were more options than Netflix. It seemed like it had a ton of interesting documentaries that Netflix didn't have. Both were still underwhelming considering how big these companies are.

How were you accessing Netflix? Meaning, what device was the service loaded on? I currently only have an Apple TV as my source of content, well, in addition to the USB port on the side of my TV that allows playback of all the best video codecs.

Anyway, Netflix on ATV is pretty premium.