What's new

Netflix recs?

A few European highlights:

The Fall - Northern Irish serial killer-series starring Gillian Anderson (yes, that is her)
Mad Dogs - British oops what the **** happend now? series
Luther - Stringer bell as a cop
Lilyhammer - Little Steven in Norway

^
I saw the The Fall a few months back. Solid but unspectacular. The same for Luther which I watched around that same time. I'd recommend them but they're nothing special.

I'm about halfway through Twin Peaks, on episode six of season two. Great, great show. If you're into whodunits, I highly recommend it. It reminds me a lot of The Killing. In fact, though it's an adaptation of a Danish tv show, The Killing and it's' writers had to have bitten off of this show. Way too many similarities.

Hmmmm, that might be your issue. The GUI for Netflix on ATV is incredibly easy to maneuver.

There is a scrolling limit though isn't there? The navigation isn't bad in and of itself. It's just impossible to see their offerings. If I want to flip through the comedy selection they have...I am able to see 20 or 30(if that) and then it just loops back to the same 20 or 30. You have to go search for a specific title. HULU displays everything they have.

Last edited:
There is a scrolling limit though isn't there? The navigation isn't bad in and of itself. It's just impossible to see their offerings. If I want to flip through the comedy selection they have...I am able to see 20 or 30(if that) and then it just loops back to the same 20 or 30. You have to go search for a specific title. HULU displays everything they have.

Ya, why does Netflix do this? To hide how limited the selection truly is?

It's annoying for sure.

£¥£

It's annoying for sure.

£¥£

They have plenty selection for my liking, and I kind of like it the way it is. I normally spent an obscene amount of time scrolling through the movies anyways and having to scroll through even more would be worse. If you rate things as you watch them they do a good job at bringing up ones that you'd be most interested in. Obviously, many may fall through the cracks, but the benefit outweighs the cost for me as far as I'm concerned.

They should make this an option, though, at the very least. One could press a button and make it so everything is there when you scroll through. I agree, it is pretty dumb that it is not an option.

It seems Netflix has really been adding to the instant stream collection recently. Some good movies are becoming available, and that makes me happy.

I'm about halfway through Twin Peaks, on episode six of season two. Great, great show. If you're into whodunits, I highly recommend it. It reminds me a lot of The Killing. In fact, though it's an adaptation of a Danish tv show, The Killing and it's' writers had to have bitten off of this show. Way too many similarities.
If you like twin peaks and you also like to read, then please please for the love of god read the wayward pines series.

Perfect time to start it too cause the final book comes out tuesday.

(The tv series starts later this year)

It's annoying for sure.

£¥£

If you've watched and rated movies you get incredibly specific genre recommendations. For example if I go to my netflix page right now I have recommendations for "Dark Mysteries Featuring a Female Lead." I suspect they want to push those rather than have people browse generically in the largest pool they can think of (and it doesn't get more general than "comedy").

New Netflix Recommendation: They just put up Journey to the West, which is a Steven Chow (Kung Fu Hustle, Shao Lin Soccer) movie that shattered box office records in China. It is presently the highest grossing Chinese language film ever and got excellent reviews. Plus, who doesn't love Kung Fu Hustle? I know this is what I'll be watching tonight.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/journey_to_the_west_2014/

I finally finished Ken Burns' The War over this past weekend. I can say with a doubt, I am a better person for it. I think I appreciated the history more now than when I first learned about it in school. I admittedly got emotional quite a few times throughout the documentary. It also makes me think quite poorly of the wars the US has been involved in since WWII.

Anyway, I am looking forward to watching his other stuff. Not sure which one I'll do next. Any recos?

Started Black Mirror last night, as I stated in the TV thread. It's def a good watch.

Just finished episode one of the second season of The Fall. God damn, this show is ****ing good!!! Strong opener and 100% on RT for the series.

I'm also enjoying following the show recaps on UK's The Independent. Good write ups!