What's new

New assistants?

I don't understand all the Scotty hate. Yeah, he wears his pants too high. Yeah, he sucked as the GM of the Knicks... but, he is an excellent X's and O's guy that understands the game and has been around professional basketball near his entire life. As an assistant coach I can't think of many guys that would be better.

I see a lot of suggestions to bring in Stock or Malone but I can't see a single reason, based on fact, that makes anyone think they'd actually be better than Scotty. Yeah, they were great players but that does not automatically translate into great coaching ability.

As long as Scotty is not in charge of making critical decisions within the Jazz organization, I'm all about letting Scotty be on the Jazz bench.

Maybe so. ANd maybe Malone wouldn't be a great head coach, but you know everyone would bust there butt for him if he was on the bench. Your a player who are you going to be more motivated to play hard for Karl Malone or Scott Layden?

Maybe so. ANd maybe Malone wouldn't be a great head coach, but you know everyone would bust there butt for him if he was on the bench. Your a player who are you going to be more motivated to play hard for Karl Malone or Scott Layden?

I think your logic is flawed. I've had some pretty hard *** bosses in my life and you tend to resent them and not do your best when they ride your *** so hard. Employees bust their asses for bosses they like and respect, not bosses that bust their balls 24/7 and yell and scream. Based on this you have no clue what type of boss/coach Malone would be.

Besides, Scotty is not the conditioning coach.

I have an idea for the final assistant:

Jim Boylen. He is probably going to be let go of the end of the season by the Utes. He has moved his family around several times and I doubt that he wants to move again. The man served as an assistant in the NBA for 13 years. I think that he may be on the short list to be hired as the final assistant after the season.

I hope we do not keep the same offensive system.

It's time for a new start...

Let's be reasonable, here. One of the biggest reasons teams hire in-house to fill a head coaching vacancy mid-season is to try to keep some continuity in what they do out there. You think it's feasible to implement a brand new offensive system, mid-season, by a guy that is likely nervous as **** and has a lot of stuff to figure out on the fly already?

The system was good and there are many concepts I would like to see preserved. In fact, I'd prefer they keep most of the sets, but put more emphasis on transition, WHEN to run post isos for Jefferson (either by design in a modified set, a matchup, or as a release-valve for a set going nowhere), and from there figure out how to approach the two-man game with three different people (Deron and Millsap or Jefferson). The problem with Jerry is that every year, he seems to go through stretches where he's just going through the motions which manifests itself as strategic uncreativity and rigidity (gameplan never deviates for opponent, substitutions freeze at a certain point). Jerry brought a lot of strengths, though, and I would like to see those preserved as much as possible. The system itself is one of them, I just want there to be some more creativity and flexibility when it comes to strategy.

As for the assistants, my first choice (as has been mentioned by most) for lead assistant would be Hornacek. I believe his obsession with strategy, his passion, and his simultaneous inevitable fresh ideas and familiarity with the system and organization would be a perfect fit. Marc Iavaroni would be welcome but I don't know how prying him away from the Clippers would work, whether he is the lead assistant or whatever capacity. Kenny Natt would be good as a secondary assistant I think for reasons of familiarity, but also because he has head coaching experience that could prove valuable for a coaching staff light on experience in that regard. That same benefit could be said of Iavaroni as well.

I always thought Mo Cheeks was an underrated coach with Philly and got a raw deal. I just found out he's the assistant at OKC and that bums me out but it also makes sense since their coaching staff is great.

Terry Porter doesn't appear to be employed and I have heard great things about his assistant coaching.

Mike Brown ".

And not Scott Layden. He sounds like a disciple of the bad Sloan whenever I hear him.

It truly depends on which kind of system Corbin wants to implement. Horny would be awesome though. Finally some improved shooting.

The problem with our shooting is simple. The Jazz don't have good shooters. The Jazz would need to make a roster move or two to improve the shooting.

I do believe Hornacek would be a great hire as an assistant. I think he would be a great hire.