What's new

New black and white color scheme

I’m really puzzled by Ryan Smith’s rational on this. Back when news broke that the Jazz would be moving to a black and yellow color scheme, Ryan came out and said something to the effect of the Jazz color pallet being all over the place over the years and a need to forge an identity.

So his answer to that is to come up with YET ANOTHER all new color scheme and font???

The J-Note is one of the most original, and best logos in all of sports for my money. Why not use that, along with the original color scheme in an updated way to solidify their identity? Granted, Ryan Smith is a billionaire and I’m not, but this seems like a massive over think that’s primed to backfire big time.
Exactly- its so idiotic.
All the different mock ups are terrible in my opinion, but the problem isn't the style or creativity in any of them I think the problem is that its yet another version of the jazz.... That never ever should have been messed with or changed ever and yet it has been way overdone time and time again. I would go on a limb and say no franchise in any sport and especially in basketball has screwed up their image worse than the jazz have. Every 10 years the jazz style and image is virtually unrecognizable... its so stupid.

I’m really puzzled by Ryan Smith’s rational on this. Back when news broke that the Jazz would be moving to a black and yellow color scheme, Ryan came out and said something to the effect of the Jazz color pallet being all over the place over the years and a need to forge an identity.

So his answer to that is to come up with YET ANOTHER all new color scheme and font???

The J-Note is one of the most original, and best logos in all of sports for my money. Why not use that, along with the original color scheme in an updated way to solidify their identity? Granted, Ryan Smith is a billionaire and I’m not, but this seems like a massive over think that’s primed to backfire big time.
Well said. Ever since Smith took over I have been wondering who he listens to. This makes no sense.

Why pick yellow, though? The yellow jerseys have to be the least liked uniforms in the last ten years. More losses in them than any other jersey color. As far as black and white, it’s like they opened a crayon box and picked the ugliest colors inside. Nothing about this choice says Utah Jazz. What the f were they thinking?

Why pick yellow, though? The yellow jerseys have to be the least liked uniforms in the last ten years. More losses in them than any other jersey color. As far as black and white, it’s like they opened a crayon box and picked the ugliest colors inside. Nothing about this choice says Utah Jazz. What the f were they thinking?
He is picking his favorite colors. Probably has a yellow Ferrari with black seats. He had a yellow Jazz logo stitched into the headrests. Now he has to make the team resemble his fantasy.

He is picking his favorite colors. Probably has a yellow Ferrari with black seats. He had a yellow Jazz logo stitched into the headrests. Now he has to make the team resemble his fantasy.
None of them look good but the yellow ones are terrible. I was assuming he was a Raiders fan as a little boy and that is why he wanted the black and white but I couldn't make anything up with yellow. At least he didnt go with BYU blue. He just makes sure that all of hires are BYU peeps.

Exactly- its so idiotic.
All the different mock ups are terrible in my opinion, but the problem isn't the style or creativity in any of them I think the problem is that its yet another version of the jazz.... That never ever should have been messed with or changed ever and yet it has been way overdone time and time again. I would go on a limb and say no franchise in any sport and especially in basketball has screwed up their image worse than the jazz have. Every 10 years the jazz style and image is virtually unrecognizable... its so stupid.
I couldn’t agree more. I remember the first time I saw the new blue uni’s during the D-Will/Boozer era and I was so pissed off. Those were the most bland, generic, and useless uni’s I’ve ever seen a team in any sport use. They lacked any identity what so ever and introduced a color scheme that had no rhyme or reason being tied to the Utah Jazz brand.

It’s already been said in this thread, but to make matters worse, the fan made mock ups circulating on the interwebs are far and away better than what Ryan Smith and co are coming up with.

None of them look good but the yellow ones are terrible. I was assuming he was a Raiders fan as a little boy and that is why he wanted the black and white but I couldn't make anything up with yellow. At least he didnt go with BYU blue. He just makes sure that all of hires are BYU peeps.
I am sticking with my "doodled with black pen on white and yellow spiral notebook when he was in jr high" theory. The designs are very juvenile. I am sure most 14 year olds will think they are "dope" and "dank" or whatever.

What I find interesting is the NBA has to walk a weird line when it comes to merchandising. Most companies address this by catering or at least appealing to the demographic that pays, the ones with money. This is done with either marketing to kids so they beg parents for the Furby or whatever, when it is a product or service not inherently interesting to adults. Or they cater directly to the ones with the money (statistically the 40-60 year old demo with specific focus on the 50-60 year old range, as we are in our "peak" buying power). This is why so many places play like 80's and 70's, and now more 90's music. It makes it easier to stomach if I have to take my kid somewhere I do not want to go if they are at least playing the hits I am nostalgic for.

The NBA is one of those that bridges the age gaps and has to be appealing to both the younger generations to generate excitement and plan for future revenue streams, and of course the "please buy me this" angle for kids to parents, while also needing to appeal to the older generation and try to keep the nostalgia alive since it overrides our reasoning and helps us be less discerning in our purchasing. They also have to continually "refresh" the brand so there is always something new to buy. The players alone account for some of this, but once you have a Karl Malone jersey, do you really need another one...unless.....oh man, look at those new colors! I want the new Malone jersey with the "throwback" colors that remind of when I was a kid. Yeah not a fan of the new blue ones, but my daughter loves them so I guess I will buy one for her too.

It is very interesting to see how they juggle all this in presenting new logos and color schemes and designs to try to keep pushing these buttons and keep the money flowing.

I know I have 2 Gobert jerseys now, and I want one in the Dark Mode city edition from last year (can't find one except for $250 on ebay....ef that). So it does work.

It will be really interesting to see if Ryan decides to put stickers all over his new toy however he wants, or if he ends up deferring, at least a little, to the marketing gurus in the organization telling him "hey I know you think this is dank and such, but really no one is going to buy it, let's try this instead".

Last edited:
I am sticking with my "doodled with black pen on white and yellow spiral notebook when he was in jr high" theory. The designs are very juvenile. I am sure most 14 year olds will think they are "dope" and "dank" or whatever.
This now makes complete sense - the Jazz FO has decided that the target customer is 14-15 year olds. It explains all kinds of decision they are making. I guess we can just be grateful that they didn't go with the horrible subway green unis from a few years back. That is the only Jazz uniform in history that is worse than the new ones.