What's new

News, rumors and buzz around the draft and free agency

I don't disagree with any of this. Westbrook and Harden are both better with the ball in their hands and it's a valid concern as to how they cooperate on the court together. But you're ignoring the potential positives of this trade for Houston too. Westbrook is playing with good shooters and playing in a good offensive system for the first time in his career I think. He's going to have an easier time getting to the rim. He's going to get easier looks. He's going to get more rest. Harden is going to get more rest. As a whole they probably come out somewhat even in this deal.

Westbrook not being surrounded by shooters is a myth. During the regular season, OKC shot 34.8% from while Houston shot 35.6%. That's including Rustbrook's blistering 29% from three. Taking that into account, OKC was probably better in that regard. Houston simply took more than any other team.

The problem is efficiency. Simply put, both teams relied heavily on their star (Westbrook and Harden) so much that they were 1 and 2 in usage rates last year. Simply put, both want the ball in their hands. With Harden, he's absolutely deadly. Westbrook strikes no fear in me anymore as his shot has declined so much in the last three years. Now I will grant that D'Antoni might be able to make it work because he is a good coach, but Westbrook is his own worst enemy. Now add to that that neither Harden nor Westbrook are exactly great defenders and Utah amped up it's backcourt with Conley?

Houston will win some games in the regular season, but they're going to run into the same issues as OKC with first round exits.

What OKC does with Paul fascinates me.

Does OKC keep him or trade him? Miami? Dragic and who for Paul? How does OKC avoid the luxury? How does Miami stay under the apron?

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

What OKC does with Paul fascinates me.

Does OKC keep him or trade him? Miami? Dragic and who for Paul? How does OKC avoid the luxury? How does Miami stay under the apron?

I don't think there's anyway for OKC to avoid the tax this year, but that's small pittance for what Presti has setup there. I am absolutely shocked he got what he did for Westbrook in terms of draft pick potential. CP3 to Miami makes sense on paper for them, but OKC and Miami would probably need to include a 3rd and/or fourth team to shed the necessary salary, else makes the preliminary deals before hand. It'll be interesting to watch. I like Butler on the Heat as they do make the playoffs in the East I think. But they need additional pieces badly.

I don't think there's anyway for OKC to avoid the tax this year, but that's small pittance for what Presti has setup there. I am absolutely shocked he got what he did for Westbrook in terms of draft pick potential. CP3 to Miami makes sense on paper for them, but OKC and Miami would probably need to include a 3rd and/or fourth team to shed the necessary salary, else makes the preliminary deals before hand. It'll be interesting to watch. I like Butler on the Heat as they do make the playoffs in the East I think. But they need additional pieces badly.
OKC is about $3 million from being under the luxury. They will definitely get under. Thats why they dumped Grant to Denver. Makes no sense for them to pay the repeater tax again.

Paul to Miami does make the most sense. I actually like his fit there with Butler and Bam. Just kind of funny how both Miami and OKC are desperate to shed about $3 million. Miami can easily do it for OKC in a Paul trade, but Miami will find it difficult to do it for themselves. All their expendable deals are $10+.

I don't disagree with any of this. Westbrook and Harden are both better with the ball in their hands and it's a valid concern as to how they cooperate on the court together. But you're ignoring the potential positives of this trade for Houston too. Westbrook is playing with good shooters and playing in a good offensive system for the first time in his career I think. He's going to have an easier time getting to the rim. He's going to get easier looks. He's going to get more rest. Harden is going to get more rest. As a whole they probably come out somewhat even in this deal.

They were very close to winning a championship. The combination led to historic offensive seasons. A 65 win season. Multiple seasons where they were contenders. It worked.

I'd take a Westbrook shot over a Gordon shot any day lmao. Westbrook is way more dynamic offensively. Gordon shot 40% on a great team with far easier looks than Westbrook last year. Less shots from him is not really a bad thing. You have a good point about Westbrook taking shots from Harden though. Westbrook is not great on defense but I think that saying he's "terrible" is stretching it. We aren't in Capela's mind to know what he's thinking either.

I mean I'd f****** LOVE to see the Rockets be an absolute dumpster fire. Westbrook is probably one of the players I dislike the most in the whole league. And Harden p***** me off with the whining and flopping. D'Antoni is a whiner too with a punchable face. I want them to fail. But I think the JFC is discounting how this move could be a positive for them out of that dislike/hate.

Regarding Westbrook and Gordon... look at the TS% for those guys. If Westbrook is shooting, that shot is worth less than what they get elsewhere... I think CP was like 40-45%ish on catch and shoot threes. I think the space around Harden just got worse and the defense will be worse. I just don't see those guys helping each other much and playing off each other. All this talk of Westbrook changing his game is cute, but he is unlikely to change his game in a way that makes him good at things he's sucked at during his 11 year career.

If you promised health from both guys I have no doubt that CP is a better overall fit and raises the ceiling of the Rockets. Westbrook almost surely will play more games which will help during the regular season, but I don't think he improves the top gear of this squad.

So... If the jazz still need to sign Davis, Mudiay, and Green, and there are 13 people signed already, then doesn’t this suggest a trade is coming?

Could be a trade, but I think it's far more likely to mean that the Jazz will use 2-ways/Europe on Brantley/Oni/JWF rather than sign them to a full NBA contract.